PDA

View Full Version : Diff cover with drain plug?

Mudderoy
11-13-2010, 02:37 AM
I was speaking to a friend of mine at work that has a 2wd 2001 XJ. He was telling me he had been trying to find a diff cover for his Chrysler 8.25 that had a drain plug as well as a fill plug. He didn't want to take the cover off to replace the fluid.

I told him that the fluid didn't need to be changed very often but when you did change it you really needed to hose it out with brake cleaner to get rid of any metal shavings in there.

I got to thinking about it and I couldn't think of any reason changing that fluid more often, or if the drain plug had a magnet on it that it would be a bad thing to have.

Just curious what your thoughts are on this...

:popcorn:

http://stores.hi-potek.com/catalog/P4130063(2).jpg
:link: (http://stores.hi-potek.com/-strse-1/Chrysler-Dodge-Mopar-/Detail.bok)

cubsin2079
11-14-2010, 03:18 PM
You can order the Ruff Stuff covers with a drain plug. I ordered mine with the drain plug and countersunk hardware.

bigjim350
11-14-2010, 03:54 PM
To me a drain plug does not seem that necessary, since it would not be used that often. Just seems like one more place to have a leak.

Mudderoy
11-14-2010, 07:57 PM
To me a drain plug does not seem that necessary, since it would not be used that often. Just seems like one more place to have a leak.

Yeah the friend at work does routine maintenance on his 2001 XJ. I told him it wasn't necessary to change diff fluid that often, but like most of us he wants what he wants. I can't blame him there. :patriot:

4.3LXJ
11-15-2010, 11:34 AM
There is a situation that would make it handy to have a drain plug. However that one you have pictured is not low enough. If you do a lot of water fording, it is a good idea to drain fluid more often because no matter how well you vent, you will draw some water in when that hot diff hits that cold water. It sets up a partial vacuum and will suck some in eventually. What I would rather have is one tapped into the bottom of the casting with a good magnet.

4.3LXJ
11-15-2010, 11:34 AM
There is a situation that would make it handy to have a drain plug. However that one you have pictured is not low enough. If you do a lot of water fording, it is a good idea to drain fluid more often because no matter how well you vent, you will draw some water in when that hot diff hits that cold water. It sets up a partial vacuum and will suck some in eventually. What I would rather have is one tapped into the bottom of the casting with a good magnet.

TeXJ
11-17-2010, 09:53 AM
you can say that again!

JeepinOutfitters
11-17-2010, 04:27 PM
The ARB diff covers come with a drain plug, and the fill plug has a built-in dipstick. I don't think they make an 8.25" application yet, and they're crazy expensive.

Tell your buddy to just buy a LubeLocker gasket! :D That way pulling the cover to drain and fill is quick, clean, and easy! :thumbsup:

FWIW, the JK D44 front and rear axles have drain plugs in the diff housing itself, and the plugs have magnets on them.