PDA

View Full Version : NSS switch (Neutral Safety Switch)

cantab27
11-11-2010, 08:30 PM
i know there's a good write up on here ... thanks mel
jeep wont start after i had just been on a beer run ,, moved shifter back and forth half dozens times , put back in park and it fires up ... am i about to do this nss clean up job :thumbsup:

Thomass
11-12-2010, 01:21 AM
I did use this write up, it is a nice one

HERE (http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neutral-safety-switch-nss/)

Hope it helps

XJ Rat
11-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Or this one from a neighbor of yours...

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/

For those who are searching challenged...

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

XJ408
11-14-2010, 04:05 AM
I did an AWESOME job on mine....Starts up like a CHAMP...:thumbsup:

fivelstang4
12-16-2010, 05:37 PM
did it fix a no reverse light problem?

cantab27
12-16-2010, 06:42 PM
should do i think .....

ParadiseXJ
12-16-2010, 10:24 PM
did it fix a no reverse light problem?

Don't know for sure on a 97 (profile) but the NSS does control the reverse lights on my RENIX's. There's also a fuse in the the fuse block under the dash, 7.5A marked TRANS, which will also play tricks on your reverse lights.

So, if you do the NSS fix and still don't have reverse lights THEN either the NSS still has to be adjusted on the shaft OR you can check out the fuse. I don't know, on the later models the fuse may be in the PDC under the hood.

Are you confused yet??

Also, a 7.5A fuse filament is pretty darn small, so even if the fuse LOOKS okay, replace it anyway, see what happens.

wildbill1
12-20-2010, 04:17 PM
I read several write ups before fixing my NSS in my '99 XJ, but I never read a couple things that helped me get mine off without damaging it.
When you take the big nut off of the slotted sleeve, it will help if you spread the sleeve a bit with a slotted screwdriver. I also found that rather than use 2 screwdrivers on the big nut, it worked better to use a long needlenose pliers and get the slender tip under the nut when prying the NSS off of the shaft. I pried against the lower edge of the trans case where it meets the pan.

XJ4IV
12-21-2010, 01:27 AM
sooo WHERE exactly is it on our jeeps??? All I did to bypass this issue was wire in a push button start... a momentary switch ... only time I know for SURE that my NSS didnt engage is when I remote start it with my alarms system but if you dont have that then you will NEVER know... plus it looks cooler and its MUCH easier then crawling under and finding and REMOVING the nss... one wire to the neg on your starter and one wire to positive on battery run the two wires through your firewall and install a momentary switch and be done with it!!!

cantab27
12-21-2010, 01:33 AM
sooo WHERE exactly is it on our jeeps??? All I did to bypass this issue was wire in a push button start... a momentary switch ... only time I know for SURE that my NSS didnt engage is when I remote start it with my alarms system but if you dont have that then you will NEVER know... plus it looks cooler and its MUCH easier then crawling under and finding and REMOVING the nss... one wire to the neg on your starter and one wire to positive on battery run the two wires through your firewall and install a momentary switch and be done with it!!!

all that plus cup holders Scott ,,, must be like a space ship in there ...:smiley-laughing021: :D

in all truth but ,it hasn't happened since i post this thread :confused:
so if it aint broke blah blah :thumbsup:

PolarXJ
12-21-2010, 03:26 PM
jeepin.com has a good write up as well.