PDA

View Full Version : Its Alive!!!! Kinda

ice_cold
11-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Well finally got the Jeep fired up today....:thumbsup:
Started topping the coolant...filled put cap on loose, turned heat on full.
All is peachy....then it happens...idiot light comes on, telling me I have a overheating issue....still no heat.
Then the gusher...caps not on tight, I get a eruption of very HOT coolant. Shut her down, all seem fine...check everything tanks are good,hoses look fine.
Let it cool down...top off the radiator, still no leaks.:thumbsup:
Start it up all is fine, have the infared out...temp starts climbing again, shut it down. Check hoses..now the 2 for the heater, one goes to the pump, one goes to the houseing...housing one is warm, the other is cold...which is in and which is out? Thinking my pump might be fubared.:sad0147:
Time to take a rest before we have a "accident", dont want to start throwing screwdrivers around..:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
11-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Well finally got the Jeep fired up today....:thumbsup:
Started topping the coolant...filled put cap on loose, turned heat on full.
All is peachy....then it happens...idiot light comes on, telling me I have a overheating issue....still no heat.
Then the gusher...caps not on tight, I get a eruption of very HOT coolant. Shut her down, all seem fine...check everything tanks are good,hoses look fine.
Let it cool down...top off the radiator, still no leaks.:thumbsup:
Start it up all is fine, have the infared out...temp starts climbing again, shut it down. Check hoses..now the 2 for the heater, one goes to the pump, one goes to the houseing...housing one is warm, the other is cold...which is in and which is out? Thinking my pump might be fubared.:sad0147:
Time to take a rest before we have a "accident", dont want to start throwing screwdrivers around..:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

I can't recall, and too lazy to go back and read... already change the thermostat?

ice_cold
11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
New thermostat, installed point end out.

xj4life2
11-11-2010, 04:19 PM
You have air pockets , you must bleed the system completely , its takes a long time to do it. Let it run a while and shut it down , let cool check fluid level , do it again, repete untill she stabilizes eventually the t stat will open and then you can top it off. the 4.0 is tough to get burped but it finally will

ice_cold
11-11-2010, 04:37 PM
going to give that a try. Figure since the head has the hole for the temp sender, might pop that and tilt the truck a little...been doing some reading on "burping" the system, have some work ahead. Thought I had it right, guess not.
Oh and Mudderoy, top hose from housing is in to core, bottom is out.

ice_cold
11-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Well purged the system. Resorted to the tip and lift method. Fired it up, runs not bad, needs a tune up real bad, let it sit idling for about 10 minutes. Hear and see the aux fan clicking on and off. Figure its close to operating temp because of this. Thing is the hoses are not hot, just nice and warm. If even that. I have also discovered, I have no heat. I can adjust the switches and the air moves around, but no heat.
Thinking I have a abused cooling system, she might have to go in for a flush, before I go yanking heater cores.
Question> thermostats going bad. What are the odds of a new thermostst being fubar'ed?

Time to go and work on "Murphy" a little more....weee
Mike

bluedragon436
11-14-2010, 11:39 AM
time to hit up the JY and upgrade to the open cooling system.. Glad to hear it is running though.. even if it is a bit rough..

ice_cold
11-14-2010, 01:30 PM
time to hit up the JY and upgrade to the open cooling system.. Glad to hear it is running though.. even if it is a bit rough..

98 Cherokee SE, has I do believe, a open system already. isn't it?

bluedragon436
11-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Oh yeah.. it would... was thinking you had an older one by the way you were talking about burping and such... sorry.. but still glad to hear that it is up and running...

XJ Rat
11-14-2010, 05:56 PM
This post might help you.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2456

ice_cold
11-14-2010, 08:13 PM
This post might help you.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2456

Rad cap? Never even thought about that...Makes no never mind now...appears the radiator has a leak. Ranit up to temp, then shut it down...cap side in about 6 inches, rad is wet, past that point all is dry. So it looks like I am going to be pulling the rad..well might as well do the Mudderoy, replace everything, rad, pump, thermostat, sensor....Will this ever friggin end,,,,lol