PDA

View Full Version : Lift Question

da9r00d
11-05-2010, 04:14 AM
i have a 1988 Jeep XJ, i have a set of 2004 Rubicon Wheels and Tires that i wanna run on my jeep. my question is what is a good lift kit/height? i was going to run a 3" lift. what will i need? Transfer case drop? also i was looking at the rough country 3" kit with New leaf springs. not sure if the kit comes with U-bolts or a brake line extension. do i need that stuff? i also have a D35 now but i have a rebuilt 8.25 sitting and i wanna run that rear end. trying to swap it in at the same time at the lift.

im just trying to find out the stuff/tools/extras ill need to install and run everything.

Im new to the jeep world, I love my jeep but its been a nightmare to get it to run right. fixed now after $1100 worth of parts and labor

steph74
11-05-2010, 09:57 AM
I don;t know much but this is what I gather... please correct if I am wrong...

for lift 3"or less it is most likely you won't need a drop or any further mods other than longer shocks. Longer brake lines are sometimes recommended but if you are not doing extreme wheeling then you probably can go without

what size are your new wheels and tires ?

bluedragon436
11-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Well I would say if you are going to spend a little bit of money pick up the 4.5" RC kit... but as far as just running a 3" lift, you should be good with just new shocks, the TC drop and brake line extensions are usually for 4" and up... although some people do experience driveline vibrations at lift heights as low as 3".. but that is something you won't know until it happens... and the brake lines is something you can upgrade when you do your lift... or you could upgrade them at a later date.. as far as the upgrading to the CH8.25... that is a good time to do so.. and most of the lifts come with teh U-bolts for both the D35 adn the CH 8.25, so you would have the parts to do your swap while you are installing the lift...

Mudderoy
11-05-2010, 11:21 AM
I don;t know much but this is what I gather... please correct if I am wrong...

for lift 3"or less it is most likely you won't need a drop or any further mods other than longer shocks. Longer brake lines are sometimes recommended but if you are not doing extreme wheeling then you probably can go without

what size are your new wheels and tires ?

Yeah I have 4.5" lift and disconnects up front. Been wheeling a couple of times now and I haven't popped a front brake line. The lift kit DID come with brake line relocation brackets so they were dropped, just not replaced.

I have a set of stainless steel braided 6" lift lines to go on my rig currently. I was sick last weekend so I may do them this weekend. I need to change the calipers up front, so I want to do both brake lines and calipers at the same time.

cantab27
11-05-2010, 12:42 PM
hey mate , i run a 3" lift ... haven't had to do brake lines yet but will i think ..no transfer case drop ..my advice would be go the 4.5 lift .. if i was to start again this is the path i would take ....less trimming to do and just the right height me thinks ...what size tires ya plan to run ...

bluedragon436
11-05-2010, 12:51 PM
From the way it looks... it looks like he is running the Rubi rims and tires.. Yeah and I like I said if I were you I would just save up a bit more money and pick up a decent 4.5" lift to start with... you will be much happier with the money spent after you get it all installed..

JENSSEN
11-05-2010, 02:09 PM
3" Lift(ish) used coils, bastard leafs
Rubicon Wheels / Dick Cepek 265 75 R16
Rubs a bit when I am pounding it or have it over loaded,..

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/RACE4THECURE/d8856cbc.jpg

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/RACE4THECURE/7235af40.jpg

Both Pics show the jeep with weight in the back,..

Or you say screw it and sell me the wheels for my MJ :)