PDA

View Full Version : Steering shaft

ice_cold
11-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Well tried again to get those 2 bolts in to the manifolds, no luck, my forearms are to big to fit.
So while looking at it and thinking...If I could remove the steering shaft, it would give me the room I need to get my arm in there.

But I cannot see, was getting dark, if I can remove it with out pulling the column.
Has anyone done this? If so, how do I disconnect it?
I really want to get this thing fired up..and its starting to get chilly!

4.3LXJ
11-02-2010, 08:49 PM
The way to do that is not to pull the column, but the box. Three bolts and you can move it far enough forward to disconnect it there first then at the back. don't disconnect the pitman or drag link. Just let it flop.

ice_cold
11-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Ok, so your saying unbolt the steering box, pull it towards the front so it unhooks from the column?
If thats the case, that alone might give me the room I need. I can feel where the bolts go, its just once I have the bolt in my fingers, my fore arm no longer fits. So if I can drop the shaft a inch or 2 out of the way...I am in!
This will have to be a after work adventure Wednesday...fingers crossed.
Thank you
Mike

4.3LXJ
11-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Ok, so your saying unbolt the steering box, pull it towards the front so it unhooks from the column?
If thats the case, that alone might give me the room I need. I can feel where the bolts go, its just once I have the bolt in my fingers, my fore arm no longer fits. So if I can drop the shaft a inch or 2 out of the way...I am in!
This will have to be a after work adventure Wednesday...fingers crossed.
Thank you
Mike

Good Luck