PDA

View Full Version : My Dodge Nightmare

Melissa
11-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Need a chuckle..............here you go

Backround info:
1992 Dodge Diesel 3/4 ton 4x4
will get right on down and pull with the best of them

So for the last 6-8 years I have had a major steering issue with my dodge, turns great to the left, but will hardly turn to the right :(

It has been in and out of many many shops trying to get this issue fixed. I have had the entire front end rebuilt (6 years ago), and have had three different steering boxes installed, but nothing has ever fixed it.

After more than $3000, I had finally given up on trying to find the issue, heck I had been driving it this way for more than 6 years anyways (you learn to time your turns to the left when hauling a trailer :D )

Now six months later after giving up, I headed down to Les Schwab to have an alignment done, I must have only sat there for 10 minutes when I was called back to the alignment center, to talk to Bryan. I get back there and Bryan says to me that they can not align my truck. Totally frustrated I ask why?? He then tells me, that the bracket holding my springs on the frame is cracking and seperating and because of this it is tweaking the frame, okay easy enough fix, just time consuming.

THEN..........then he asks me if I am having trouble turning my truck to the right, I say yes and begin to tell him all that has been done trying to fix it, the more I tell him the wider he starts to grin at me. Bryan then says do you want to know what the problem is???

As he is laughing he says you see this bar, I say yes thats the drag link (thinking to myself, I have already had that looked at), he says turn it around............................................ ....... it's on backwards and is binding up when you turn to the right

I bet you a full 90 seconds went by while I just stood there with my mouth hanging open looking like dork before I could say anything. I looked right at Bryan and said are sh**ting me? He said nope I promise.

It took me ten minutes after I got home to turn around my drag link, and now I have full turn to the right.

I think I am scarred for life :smiley-laughing021:

ice_cold
11-01-2010, 11:40 AM
:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

XJ4IV
11-01-2010, 11:48 AM
SCREW that Id take your truck back to all those "pros" and get some money back or at least SOME compensation that is a shitty thing for them to have done to you... I swear damn mechanics see a woman as $$$ I like to have my wife take the cars in to see what they come up with THEN I call em up and call them out on it... good way to inherit a dealership lol

Melissa
11-01-2010, 11:57 AM
SCREW that Id take your truck back to all those "pros" and get some money back or at least SOME compensation that is a shitty thing for them to have done to you... I swear damn mechanics see a woman as $$$ I like to have my wife take the cars in to see what they come up with THEN I call em up and call them out on it... good way to inherit a dealership lol

Whats so funny to me now, is the fact that I ordered a new drag link for it two years ago thinking that might be the problem, when the new one got here, it looked the same, but I put it on anyways the same way I took the old one off cause thats how your supposed to do it, I just didn't know it was backwards to begin with :rotfl2:

rguignard
11-01-2010, 01:11 PM

ok me being a mechanic i cant disagree more :mad0090: i allways treated woman and the elderly better than any man and would you like to know why its because they will tell ALL there friends if you do and theyll tell EVERYONE if you dont and if you want to go to the front of the line wear as little clothing as possible if your a woman and you will go the the front and you might not have to pay ether :shocker: i know that sound sexist but try it you will be surprised how well it works :smiley-laughing021: btw i would call or show up at the shops and at least talk to them and tell them what was wrong who knows what might happen

Mudderoy
11-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Need a chuckle..............here you go

Backround info:
1992 Dodge Diesel 3/4 ton 4x4
will get right on down and pull with the best of them

So for the last 6-8 years I have had a major steering issue with my dodge, turns great to the left, but will hardly turn to the right :(

It has been in and out of many many shops trying to get this issue fixed. I have had the entire front end rebuilt (6 years ago), and have had three different steering boxes installed, but nothing has ever fixed it.

After more than $3000, I had finally given up on trying to find the issue, heck I had been driving it this way for more than 6 years anyways (you learn to time your turns to the left when hauling a trailer :D )

Now six months later after giving up, I headed down to Les Schwab to have an alignment done, I must have only sat there for 10 minutes when I was called back to the alignment center, to talk to Bryan. I get back there and Bryan says to me that they can not align my truck. Totally frustrated I ask why?? He then tells me, that the bracket holding my springs on the frame is cracking and seperating and because of this it is tweaking the frame, okay easy enough fix, just time consuming.

THEN..........then he asks me if I am having trouble turning my truck to the right, I say yes and begin to tell him all that has been done trying to fix it, the more I tell him the wider he starts to grin at me. Bryan then says do you want to know what the problem is???

As he is laughing he says you see this bar, I say yes thats the drag link (thinking to myself, I have already had that looked at), he says turn it around............................................ ....... it's on backwards and is binding up when you turn to the right

I bet you a full 90 seconds went by while I just stood there with my mouth hanging open looking like dork before I could say anything. I looked right at Bryan and said are sh**ting me? He said nope I promise.

It took me ten minutes after I got home to turn around my drag link, and now I have full turn to the right.

I think I am scarred for life :smiley-laughing021:

I have been wondering about this since you first told us about it. Thanks for taking the time to tell us what it was. I knew it was something simple. I suggest you take the old drag link and beat the people that never saw the original problem.

bluedragon436
11-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah I would def. go back to some of those shops... and see if you can get some sort of compensation... I know my wife went to the same exact exhaust shop I did, and got a quote for an exhaust on her truck... they quoted her way less than what the quoted me.. for the exact same exhaust on the exact same truck... Oh well... they got me for the brake job all the way around... if I hadn't been deployed I would have done the work myself, and not taken it to a shop... but had no choice, it was unsafe for the wife to drive, and especially pullng horses, and she hates to even touch the Jeep much less drive it... so not all shops take females for a ride... but I know there are some that will, just because they know most of them don't know any better...

Jeepster19
11-01-2010, 06:42 PM
That's the funniest thing I have heard in awhile!!!:jumping0041:I'm glad you got it fixed though.:thumbsup:

DETOURS
11-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Turning right is over rated.......you'll see over time, you were'nt missing anything.....

Mudderoy
11-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Turning right is over rated.......you'll see over time, you were'nt missing anything.....

This is a clear sign how the election will go today! :patriot:

Melissa
11-02-2010, 10:53 AM
ok me being a mechanic i cant disagree more :mad0090: i allways treated woman and the elderly better than any man and would you like to know why its because they will tell ALL there friends if you do and theyll tell EVERYONE if you dont and if you want to go to the front of the line wear as little clothing as possible if your a woman and you will go the the front and you might not have to pay ether :shocker: i know that sound sexist but try it you will be surprised how well it works :smiley-laughing021: btw i would call or show up at the shops and at least talk to them and tell them what was wrong who knows what might happen

I do plan on hitting the shops I've been to, especially the one that had me for an $1100 front end rebuild. Would love to hear what he has to say :pee:

I have been wondering about this since you first told us about it. Thanks for taking the time to tell us what it was. I knew it was something simple. I suggest you take the old drag link and beat the people that never saw the original problem.

I had a feeling as well, I really didn't think I could have that much bad luck with steering boxes :D

I do still have the old drag link behind the seat as a spare...............Hhmmm, must just come in handy.............:smiley-laughing021:

Yeah I would def. go back to some of those shops... and see if you can get some sort of compensation... I know my wife went to the same exact exhaust shop I did, and got a quote for an exhaust on her truck... they quoted her way less than what the quoted me.. for the exact same exhaust on the exact same truck... Oh well... they got me for the brake job all the way around... if I hadn't been deployed I would have done the work myself, and not taken it to a shop... but had no choice, it was unsafe for the wife to drive, and especially pullng horses, and she hates to even touch the Jeep much less drive it... so not all shops take females for a ride... but I know there are some that will, just because they know most of them don't know any better...

See now........... the nicest mech I have ever met was at an exhaust shop. I was on my way somewhere back when my daughters were just tiny and I started hearing a rattling noise from my suburban. I stopped in there and the mech found the problem, fixed it, and then would not let me pay for it. In fact he gave me $20 and told me to go spend it on my daughters. I'll never forget that.

That's the funniest thing I have heard in awhile!!!:jumping0041:I'm glad you got it fixed though.:thumbsup:

I think about it and laugh everyday (it's been fixed for almost 2 weeks), I think it's one of those that will bring me humor for years to come :popcorn:

It will be over time, I have to relearn how to make right turns, so far I have not been able to break my habit of swinging really wide to go right :driving:

4.3LXJ
11-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Hey Mel, glad you got it straightened out. I once bent my pitman arm on my Jeep. I couldn't turn left, so I just three right turns when in town instead. I got there eventually.

Melissa
11-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Hey Mel, glad you got it straightened out. I once bent my pitman arm on my Jeep. I couldn't turn left, so I just three right turns when in town instead. I got there eventually.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Thats my thinking! do I have enough room to swing wide and make the right turn, or do I need to make three lefts to go right

4.3LXJ
11-03-2010, 11:11 AM
That happened to me up in Tri Cities after a race. Had to make the long drive home that way.:driving: I had to drive through town to hit the interstate in Richland. Went around the block several times.:rotfl2:

DETOURS
11-03-2010, 11:58 AM
This is a clear sign how the election will go today! :patriot:

.........and so had I written, I'm a little left of living right......that would have somehow been twisted as well? :rolleyes:

Mudderoy
11-03-2010, 01:56 PM
.........and so had I written, I'm a little left of living right......that would have somehow been twisted as well? :rolleyes:

lol yes people America figured out that the drag link was on backwards and now we've turned right! :patriot:

4.3LXJ
11-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Nice one Tony

DETOURS
11-03-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm not going to argue with the wisdom of Mels Dodge, but only 2 years ago......her truck was'nt soo broken, was it? Americans have short memories, I dont give a dang full left turn or full right turn......a trucks a truck, but when a tie rod blames a steering link for not getting enough grease, theres an issue......over & over & over & over again......it'll be the same biatch in 2 years.....

By the way....here in KY Rand Paul caught shiat for being tea party, so he called himself a Republican........until his acceptance speach last night, inwhich he again declared himself tea party.........all the commontaries after that was that he'd be talking to himself on CSPAN............8 million invested by outside parties to get him voted in.....won by 57,000.......so thats $1403.51 per bought vote..............not too hard to figure out, money can fix anything.....even a Dodge..........someone wants to hand me basically $1403.51, I would have voted for Paul, and fixed Mels truck for free.......come on....:headshake:

Mudderoy
11-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm not going to argue with the wisdom of Mels Dodge, but only 2 years ago......her truck was'nt soo broken, was it? Americans have short memories, I dont give a dang full left turn or full right turn......a trucks a truck, but when a tie rod blames a steering link for not getting enough grease, theres an issue......over & over & over & over again......it'll be the same biatch in 2 years.....

By the way....here in KY Rand Paul caught shiat for being tea party, so he called himself a Republican........until his acceptance speach last night, inwhich he again declared himself tea party.........all the commontaries after that was that he'd be talking to himself on CSPAN............8 million invested by outside parties to get him voted in.....won by 57,000.......so thats $1403.51 per bought vote..............not too hard to figure out, money can fix anything.....even a Dodge..........someone wants to hand me basically $1403.51, I would have voted for Paul, and fixed Mels truck for free.......come on....:headshake:

Well I've said it before and I'll say it again. Public office should be handled like jury duty. We all have to wind up serving. Things would get done and there wouldn't be all this B.S. that goes on. Okay not as much. Besides it is supposed to be government by the people not government by the powerful, rich, or popular.

4.3LXJ
11-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Well I've said it before and I'll say it again. Public office should be handled like jury duty. We all have to wind up serving. Things would get done and there wouldn't be all this B.S. that goes on. Okay not as much. Besides it is supposed to be government by the people not government by the powerful, rich, or popular.

And those who are immune to prosecution due to holding office.

ice_cold
11-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Start with a Dodge that wont turn...now we have a political discussion...lol