PDA

View Full Version : Lift kit debate, Is it too good to be true??

XJ take 2
11-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Hey everyone,

I am now on my second XJ and it is a 2001 4X4 Limited, before now i haven't had the money to consider lifting my vehicle and giving in the aggressive look that it deserves. However, i found a fantastic deal on a lift kit and tires and wheels. I need yalls help though to give me some feedback and let me know what you think. Heres a link below, lemme know what you think, i appreciate the help!

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RK-405SPC-XJ&Category_Code=WHEELS10

XJ4IV
11-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Hey everyone,

I am now on my second XJ and it is a 2001 4X4 Limited, before now i haven't had the money to consider lifting my vehicle and giving in the aggressive look that it deserves. However, i found a fantastic deal on a lift kit and tires and wheels. I need yalls help though to give me some feedback and let me know what you think. Heres a link below, lemme know what you think, i appreciate the help!

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RK-405SPC-XJ&Category_Code=WHEELS10

SLIGHT misconception they are supplying you with 31 inch tires when you look at the supplied items tab and their AD says 32 inch tires and THEN goes on to say you can run 33' tires... so IF they were offfering the 33's then yeah it is a sweet deal but they arent they are just giving 31's which most of us would upgrade right away, dont get me wrong the lift itself is worth about 900 and on top of that your getting new quality tires... I say good deal but not an incredible deal

codertimt
11-01-2010, 11:58 AM
One thing to always remember is shipping...especially with Rustys. That's why I dismissed them as an option. Look like shipping for this package is $275...at least to AR.

XJ take 2
11-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Yeah I saw the price of the shipping and I don't think its as bad for VA, but my main question is with the consideration with the 31" tires on the kit and being a COMPLETE kit, does it seem like a good thing to get started with? And maybe later on upgrading to some BF Goodrich 32" All Terrain T/As?

Mudderoy
11-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Yeah I saw the price of the shipping and I don't think its as bad for VA, but my main question is with the consideration with the 31" tires on the kit and being a COMPLETE kit, does it seem like a good thing to get started with? And maybe later on upgrading to some BF Goodrich 32" All Terrain T/As?

I looked at Rusty's when I was going to get my 4.56 gears. Their prices were good, but when I was checking out the shipping was like $75 or something!

I bought the same stuff from another company and the shipping was less than 1/2 the $75. It was enough to keep me from going back to Rusty's for other solutions. Really left a bad taste in my wallet. ;)

I would find out how that tire wears. If it doesn't last very long "on the road" then it may be cheaper for that reason.

Personally I went with 32" tires to start with the intent on going to 33" tires after I got the bushwackers installed. Personally I wouldn't mess around with 31" tires, but that's me.

Rough Country 4.5" lift is $800 (plus shipping)
Wheels are $200
32x11.5x15 BFG Mud Terrain tires are $800 (plus mount bal etc...)

So I can see why the $1500 price attracted you.

You might consider getting the lift kit and then watching craigslist for a great deal on wheels and tires. I've seen a complete set of wheels and tires go for $200 to $500. Used of course.

codertimt
11-01-2010, 02:50 PM

I'm going to say it's nothing special as far as a deal goes.

The lift kit is normally $670...you can get the wheels for <$250 shipped from summit. 31" BFGs from tirerack for $675 shipped... So if you just went that route you would end up saving $100 once shipping was figured(again figuring Rustys shipping to AR).

If I was going to spend that much for a lift I would look at the Rough Country Mudderoy mentioned. It's more complete including lower AND upper adjustable control arms and sway bar disconnects. And once shipping is figured, I bet they are within $75 of each other...

I personally cheaped out when I was buying...

31" Goodyear Duratracs <$600 shipped
Soft 8s from Summit $220 shipped
4.5" Zone Offroad Lift $495 shipped

It's an add-a-leaf and not as complete as, for example, that rough country but for half the price I'm lifted and going offroad instead of saving up money...well actually I had the money to put in the SYE that ended being needed with the 4.5" lift... Might want to go ahead and plan for that...87% chance you will need it on a '96 up... Of course I went cheap there too to begin with and it ended up costing me in the long run... So, I'm not really sure which side I'm arguing for anymore... :rolleyes:.

bluedragon436
11-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Honestly... you'r choice obviously... but you can pick up the Rusty's 4.5" lift for $669 by itself... and then pick up some 15" rock crawler rims from Quadratec for $59ea, and then you can find a good deal on some 32" tires somewhere online (i.e. craigslist, ebay, forums, etc.). I looked at that same deal you were looking at, and almost did it.. luckly at the time I didn't have the $1500 for it, and I ended up scoring the majority of the Rusty's 4.5" lift (used of course) for trade for a couple items that I didn't even use anyways... and now I am looking at some good deals on tires/rims... getting it together slowly... but after looking a little bit figured that the deal seems good because it comes with everything, but def. not worth saving a couple bucks just to want to upgrade as soon as I install the 31's, and see the huge gap in the wheel well... not to mention other people running larger tires with the same lift.. I mean I am already thinking I might regret choosing 32's over 33's when I do mine, but I def. wouldn't want 31's with the 4.5" lift... just my $.02!! And def. whatever you do, no offense to anyone else.. just saying.... if you got the money to spend, pick up a full lift with complete spring packs, not an AAL kit... some people have no issues, but must regret it later...

codertimt
11-01-2010, 04:26 PM
....And def. whatever you do, no offense to anyone else.. just saying.... if you got the money to spend, pick up a full lift with complete spring packs, not an AAL kit... some people have no issues, but must regret it later...

Just to argue the other side of the coin here. Rustys "full lift" = $785 shipped. $825 with 3" leafs and shackles. Zone Offroad kit is just as complete minus trackbar and full leafs for $495. So I'm in the door for more than $300 less and at any time I can pick up full leaf packs and comparable trackbar for that $300...

Anyway, different strokes for different folks...I would personally rather have my AAL kit + my Smittybuilt XRC8 for the price difference.

bluedragon436
11-01-2010, 04:38 PM
I'll give you that... and I like I said I wasn't trying to hit at you or anything... was just saying in general most people regret going AAL over full packs.... If I could get an AAL kit + Smittybuilt XRC8 + something to mount said winch on for the difference it would be worth it to me... and I probably would have done an AAL kit to save a few bucks just to get started had I not gotten the deal I did on my kit...

XJ take 2
11-01-2010, 04:54 PM
wow, just got to say, all of you are awesome, Im getting more questions answered in one day than I have been in all 7 years of owning XJs, so I love the information, but will 32s fill the wheel wells without trimming? or would 33s just look really good?

codertimt
11-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I'll give you that... and I like I said I wasn't trying to hit at you or anything... was just saying in general most people regret going AAL over full packs.... If I could get an AAL kit + Smittybuilt XRC8 + something to mount said winch on for the difference it would be worth it to me... and I probably would have done an AAL kit to save a few bucks just to get started had I not gotten the deal I did on my kit...

Agreed... I can't fully say that I don't regret my decision...but it is working out fine so far... And scrap metal bumper FTW...as long as I don't pull it apart the first time I use it. :rolleyes:

For the OP...I really think if I was buying right now with the hindsight that I know have I would buy that Rough Country X series. $870 shipped, includes sway bar discos and adjustable upper and lower control arms. It might not really be enough to worry about, but I know my front pinion angle is off because of the still stock upper control arms...and again budget for the SYE kit...

bluedragon436
11-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah if I had the money too I would def. pick that kit up too... I plan to upgrade my stock upper, and the Rusty's lower to Andy's long arms, when I go up on lift height, or after I take care of a couple other mods... will be running a TC drop for now, but am looking at once I get some recovery options at least some D-rings or good tow hooks other than just the 2" receiver rear D-ring I got now... I will look into getting a SYE or at least a H-n-T setup....

XJ take 2
11-01-2010, 06:08 PM
heres what Im looking at right now with yalls help, does all this look like it would go together good?

Cragar Black Soft 8 Wheels/ 15inx8in 5 x 4.5 w/ center caps = $250.00
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3975812/
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A/ 33x10.50x15R = $750.00
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92619_0XXX_PG.htm
Rough Country Lift Kit 4.5" = 800
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4x.html

bluedragon436
11-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Seems like a pretty good setup to me... now one thing I would look into though... is getting a set of bumpstops front and rear... so you won't tear up any body panels, flares or your new tires when you do flex... unless you plan to trim just a bit.... This is kind of the same issue I am fighting right now... on whether to pick up 32's or 33's... The 32's will look good, and will stuff nicely under flex... the 33's will look even beefier and nicer, and will stuff quite well too, but will start self clearancing your fenders depending on the offset of the rims, and how much you plan on flexing... unless you trim your fenders just a bit, or get some bumpstops to limit the full travel... other people on here can comment a bit better, and more of in person of what they have seen... just going off of what I have read over my last almost two years of researching the 4.5" LIFT 32 or 33" tire delima....

But I will say the RC 4.5" X-series is a kick a$$ lift from what I have seen... especially for the money and the options it comes with.. Check out our vendor (http://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=633X&cat=199)... same price as from RC, but you can contact our vendor on here about the xjtalk discount... which will help a little bit... every little bit helps!!! Just my $.02 on that subject!!!

ice_cold
11-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Dang I like those prices! Suspension here is like the total price your paying.
For example.
http://www.national4wdonline.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=363

codertimt
11-02-2010, 10:42 AM
heres what Im looking at right now with yalls help, does all this look like it would go together good?

Cragar Black Soft 8 Wheels/ 15inx8in 5 x 4.5 w/ center caps = $250.00
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3975812/
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A/ 33x10.50x15R = $750.00
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92619_0XXX_PG.htm
Rough Country Lift Kit 4.5" = 800
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4x.html

Just thought I'd add that you can get the tires cheaper at tires.com. $680 shipped without any extras like road hazard... Might want to check locally also, never know what kind of deal you might run across once you figure in mounting and balancing...

Also since your looking at a 33x10.5 instead of the more common 33x12.5 your probably going to have a little less clearance issues. I searched a little bit and can't find a definitive answer for that size tire on an xj with 4.5" lift...but I'm going to bet there is going to be some rubbing somewhere... I did see one post with someone saying they had 33x10.5 on stock rims and they stuffed okay with no trimming, but on an wider aftermarket rim I don't think you're going to manage to get them to stuff without rubbing. I'm definitely not an expert though...that why I played it safe with 31s. I know I won't have clearance issues, and I don't think it looks _that_ bad.

Here is how it sat after first lifting. Was actually sitting +5.5" in the front and +5" in the rear.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QFsKJezRHFc/TFuXIzfrSgI/AAAAAAAABqU/gcmHsCoQdp8/s800/2010-08-05%2019.43.29.jpg

I am already getting tire height envy though...

bluedragon436
11-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Yeah that doesn't look too bad at all.. Since I know some people are able to run 33's with little to no rubbing without really trimming, I am going to play it somewhat safe, and go wtih 32's, not the 33's I would like to have.. maybe one day for the larger tires... Yeah the prices aren't too bad @ 4 wheeling plus (http://store.4wheelingplus.com/), not to mention it doesn't hurt any that you would be helping one of our vendors out with your purchase, and a little bit of a discount never hurt anyone.. LOL.. just saying... some of my remaining parts will be coming from there that is for sure..

XJ take 2
11-02-2010, 12:30 PM
i like the way your rig looks but i think if i went with that i would start to envy tire size too. i looked on that tires.com website and found this, but will a 32x11.50x15 fit on a 15x8in rim?
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/cart/submitShipToPostalCode.do?productId=38139&productTypeId=1&shipToPostalCode=23669&x=0&y=0