PDA

View Full Version : Rims/Tires

bluedragon436
10-31-2010, 05:58 PM
OK, I am installing a 10.5" wide tire and will be running a 16" rim... so sizes and backspacing options are like this:

16x7 Rim - 4" backspacing
16x8 Rim - 4.25" backspacing
16x8 Rim - 5" backspacing

which do you think would be a better choice as far as running either a 32 or 33" tire, w/ the Rustys 4.5" kit, and as minor trimming as possible?? According to Rusty's site and a few people who have done it, they were able to run 33's with bumpstops and no real big rub issues with no cutting... so just trying to figure out which of the above three rim choices would be the best to give me the best fit?? I have been reading and some websites say that if you are running under a 11.5" tire, you should run a 7" wide rim, so that would only leave me with the 4" backspacing option, but the company I am getting the tires from says I can use either one just fine either a 7 or 8" wide rim... so leaves me stuck with the above epiphany... and on top of that still stuck as to whether I will run 32's, or bumpstops and 33's... any help into this one would be great... I know according to the lift/tire size thread we have it says 32's only unless I want to trim... so I am sure that is the answer I will get... but just looking for experiences... and if nothing else if I can at least get the answer as to what backspacing will work the best... then I will just stick with me running 32's if that will help get that question answered.

4.3LXJ
10-31-2010, 06:55 PM
16X8 with 5" backspacing. That is very close to a stock wheel.

bluedragon436
11-01-2010, 06:14 AM
That is what I thought... but didn't know if the 8" rim width would be too big for the 10.5" wide tire... and also if the 5" backspacing is close to stock, wouldnt' that cause some rubbing issues with larger tires?? I just want to make sure I am thinking correctly, but hey if the 16x8 with 5" backspacing it good... I'm cool with that... same pricing regardless of which rim I pick up... just want to make sure I get the best fit overall with larger tires, and some flex before I start hitting...

Mudderoy
11-01-2010, 06:19 AM
I have noticed that the > 15" wheels are much more expensive as well as the tires. Is this true? Why would anyone want more wheel?

bluedragon436
11-01-2010, 07:24 AM
The 16" wheels that I am looking at are only $10 more than the 15's... the set of tires I am looking at getting a deal on I only have the option of 16" rim... I wouldnt' go any bigger than that though...

Mudderoy
11-01-2010, 08:59 AM
The 16" wheels that I am looking at are only $10 more than the 15's... the set of tires I am looking at getting a deal on I only have the option of 16" rim... I wouldnt' go any bigger than that though...

Thanks. I knew the fad was large wheels and thin tires, but being old school (I hate that term) I like more tire than wheel.

However I am very excited about this...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0fGS9rKnWC8/SALxDntRk1I/AAAAAAAAAGA/Yhy_7XD-cDQ/s1600/Michelin-Twheel.jpg

It's called the "twheel" It's an airless tire wheel system. Plastic fins flex to preform the same function as the rubber and air in the tire.

Obviously this would have to be modified for off road use.

Tweel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bluedragon436
11-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Yeah I have seen that before as well... those are pretty cool looking.. to sure how well they work even for performance use on the street or track... much less offroad...

Yeah I am not into the fad of larger rims, thinner tire... I think the 16's look ok on the Jeeps (I mean the ECOS and other rims come factory 16" on Jeeps)... but I wouldn't go any bigger than that on a Jeep... I mean I am dropping from 20" rims (factory) on my wife's truck to 18"s.... Just looking at a good deal on tires, and my only option is 16" or larger rims...

bluedragon436
11-02-2010, 01:48 PM
The last page... really... sheesh... sorry was just surprised to see Muddy' on the last page of the XJ lift/tire setup thread on Cherokeeforum... LOL... Hey but on that note, since I was on there wasting some time and looking at ideas... I found this...

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/attachments/f59/25826d1285044052-xj-lift-tire-setup-thread-jeep-1.jpg

16" rims and that is with 31's... doesn't really look too bad or out of place... just think with some extra beef and rubber to it... and 32's wouldn't be too bad... and they are black rims so will blend into the tire just a bit more than the stock rims...

Mudderoy
11-02-2010, 01:54 PM
The last page... really... sheesh... sorry was just surprised to see Muddy' on the last page of the XJ lift/tire setup thread on Cherokeeforum... LOL... Hey but on that note, since I was on there wasting some time and looking at ideas... I found this...

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/attachments/f59/25826d1285044052-xj-lift-tire-setup-thread-jeep-1.jpg

16" rims and that is with 31's... doesn't really look too bad or out of place... just think with some extra beef and rubber to it... and 32's wouldn't be too bad... and they are black rims so will blend into the tire just a bit more than the stock rims...

I think we got 3 new members from that post. :smiley-laughing021:

bluedragon436
11-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Nothing wrong with that!!! Mine will be in there representing once I get the lift and rims/tires taken care of...

bluedragon436
11-05-2010, 05:43 PM
16X8 with 5" backspacing. That is very close to a stock wheel.

So then would that be the better choice of rim to pick out of my three options for running a 32/33" tire on my XJ??

Mudderoy
11-05-2010, 06:30 PM
So then would that be the better choice of rim to pick out of my three options for running a 32/33" tire on my XJ??

I went with 10" wheels because I knew I was going to 33x12.5x15 eventually.
3.75" backspace.

bluedragon436
11-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Yeah I think the next time I go up on tire size... I'll just pick up some different style rims... and will most likely go with a name brand tire then... then again that will be a few years from now..

4.3LXJ
11-05-2010, 08:29 PM
That is what I thought... but didn't know if the 8" rim width would be too big for the 10.5" wide tire... and also if the 5" backspacing is close to stock, wouldnt' that cause some rubbing issues with larger tires?? I just want to make sure I am thinking correctly, but hey if the 16x8 with 5" backspacing it good... I'm cool with that... same pricing regardless of which rim I pick up... just want to make sure I get the best fit overall with larger tires, and some flex before I start hitting...

The original perameters was to get it done without much trimming. You will have to do some since a 32 will not quite fit into the fender opening. However, if it is on a 5" back space it will stuff. If you move it out, you will do much more trimming and bump stopping. An 8" wheel is what is recommended for a 10.50 tire.

bluedragon436
11-06-2010, 02:18 PM
The original perameters was to get it done without much trimming. You will have to do some since a 32 will not quite fit into the fender opening. However, if it is on a 5" back space it will stuff. If you move it out, you will do much more trimming and bump stopping. An 8" wheel is what is recommended for a 10.50 tire.

Yeah that was kind of what I was thinking... just wasn't sure if the 5" was going to put it too far in, so it rubbed on the LCA's and such any more than it would with a smaller backspacing... Cause everyone was like you should go with a 4.5"... I was like yeah I don't have that option... so out of the choices I have which would be a better setup.... and never got a real answer... see why I like this site that much more...

4.3LXJ
11-06-2010, 02:34 PM
You will rub on the lower control arms, but no biggie. Just back off a little on the steering wheel when it happens

bluedragon436
11-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Hells no... I'll just rub that side of the tire, down... eventually it won't rub... LOL... Yeah I don't usually hit full lock anyways... not if I can help it that is... I think in the two years I have had my XJ now... I have only hit full lock maybe twice... so won't be an issue... just wanted to make sure when I purchase my rims, I purchase the best fit sizes...

Jeepster19
11-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Hells no... I'll just rub that side of the tire, down... eventually it won't rub... LOL... Yeah I don't usually hit full lock anyways... not if I can help it that is... I think in the two years I have had my XJ now... I have only hit full lock maybe twice... so won't be an issue... just wanted to make sure when I purchase my rims, I purchase the best fit sizes...

Post some pics after you get it all figured out.:camera::thumbsup: