PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate issue

ice_cold
10-26-2010, 09:53 PM
I swear this truck has it in for me!

Went to open the hatch today. First time since I bought it, there was nothing back there I needed.
Turn the key, you feel it unlatch. Pull the handle, you can feel it catch....but the hatch stays closed.
I figure the mechanism is FUBARed. The question is how the heck do I get it open? Outside of cutting a hole in it!
Any thoughts or ideas??
Thanks

Mike

Mudderoy
10-26-2010, 10:03 PM
I swear this truck has it in for me!

Went to open the hatch today. First time since I bought it, there was nothing back there I needed.
Turn the key, you feel it unlatch. Pull the handle, you can feel it catch....but the hatch stays closed.
I figure the mechanism is FUBARed. The question is how the heck do I get it open? Outside of cutting a hole in it!
Any thoughts or ideas??
Thanks

Mike

I read about this before, just can't recall. Seems like it is a common(ish) problem with the pre 97 body styles.

First, try pushing down on the door (from the outside) and opening it at the same time.. I have to do this to open mine most of the time to get it to open

:link: (http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rear-hatch-will-not-open-15991/)

JENSSEN
10-26-2010, 10:48 PM
I read about this before, just can't recall. Seems like it is a common(ish) problem with the pre 97 body styles.

:link: (http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rear-hatch-will-not-open-15991/)

97-01 usually does this the linkage can be adjusted easily on those

Jeepster19
11-01-2010, 07:45 PM
My 98 Xj has close to the same issue.You unlock it ,try to open it and nothing,sometimes it takes a few tries but it opens.I need to go to the local salvage yard and get a new one off another Xj.Sounds like a plan for this up coming weekend!:thumbsup:

JENSSEN
11-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Take your trim panel off the tail gate, there is a small rod that goes from the handle to the catch,.. Where it clips onto the handle you can adjust the lenth of the rod,... Shorten it a bit and it will open flawlessly,...

Trust me on this I have fixed a few

ice_cold
11-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Well we got it open, appears to have a boot print on the gate, someone punted the door. Took a bit of pushing and pulling, but its open. Going to adjust...Thanks

JENSSEN
11-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Let me know how it works out if you can't get it you can always give me a shout