PDA

View Full Version : Headlights Angled too High?

Lije
10-26-2010, 09:38 PM
I've noticed that my headlights weren't as bright as most other cars and it finally dawned on me after comparing my Lo beams to Highs that my Los are pointed really high up (more like straight out than down at the road).

Is this just the way they are normally or is it something wrong with my particular jeep?

Also, is there anything to do to change it (I am already getting some auxiliary fog lights). It's not a huge deal, but I really would like to be able to see better at night.

Mudderoy
10-26-2010, 10:02 PM
I've noticed that my headlights weren't as bright as most other cars and it finally dawned on me after comparing my Lo beams to Highs that my Los are pointed really high up (more like straight out than down at the road).

Is this just the way they are normally or is it something wrong with my particular jeep?

Also, is there anything to do to change it (I am already getting some auxiliary fog lights). It's not a huge deal, but I really would like to be able to see better at night.

I switched to Sylvania H6054ST SilverStar 65-Watt High Performance Halogen Headlight, much brighter, but I'll be moving to something like these eventually...

http://www.rocky-road.com/media/ipfh4.jpg

:link: (http://www.rocky-road.com/xjipfH4.html)

4.3LXJ
10-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Your lights do need to be aimed properly. You can adjust them yourself by shining them at the garage door like the above pic and then with a phillips screw driver on the two adjustment screws, one on the bottom and one on the side aim them and get them close. Then you can shin them down the road and fine tune them. I do this all the time when I change rear springs.

Jeepster19
11-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Doe's anybody know what the correct factory settings are?I replaced both of mine when one went out,but now I notice that one is higher than the other.How do you know which one is correct?Maybe they are both adjusted wrong,I don't know.I installed both of them&did not adjust either one.

4.3LXJ
11-03-2010, 09:00 PM
The only way to get a correct factory setting, since there is nothing on an XJ to measure it like on some late model cars, is to take it to an official headlamp adjusting station where they put a device on the head lamp itself and adjust it.

Jeepster19
11-03-2010, 09:22 PM
That may be hard pressed to find in South Carolina,they did away with vehicle inspections years ago.Maybe a snap-on truck or other tool truck will have the tool to do it with.

buckshot500
11-04-2010, 04:51 AM
I like to find a big flat wall with a (real) flat parking lot, like the back of the local grocery store.

Drive up to the wall so you are square to it & stop about 40 yards from it.

Line the beams up so they point to a spot on the wall that is just below their actual height, they should be pretty close to straight ahead.

Check them by driving on a dark road at night. You may have to angle the driver's side in, but just a hair.

bluedragon436
11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Well besides knowing I need to get the harness upgrade... and will get the H4 bulb upgrades... I think I might need to re-aim my lights as well... cause on low beams they aren't worth a crap, so I usually have to use my factory fog lights to drive on some nights...

XJ Rat
11-05-2010, 08:55 PM
google
aim headlights

You will get lots of choices.

Jeepster19
11-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Adjusted the headlights finally,was tired of getting flashed at night!I guess I will see tomorrow if the adjustment is close.:driving:

Lije
11-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Adjusted the headlights finally,was tired of getting flashed at night!I guess I will see tomorrow if the adjustment is close.:driving:

How'd it go? Any improvement?

Jeepster19
11-12-2010, 08:59 PM
How'd it go? Any improvement?

It worked great,nobody has flashed there brights at me since!:thumbsup: