PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to lower my transfer case?

thetinman857
10-26-2010, 04:44 PM
'01 XJ, RC 3in lift.

The new adjustable lower control arms, at 16in, stopped the dreaded "DW".:smiley-gen165:

Now I have a vibration.:( Feels like the drive shaft, I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Question: Will lowering my TC stop the vibration?

Can anyone tell me how to check the "angles" on my drive shaft and axles?

It's my DD and I just want to make it safe for the winter........

bigjim350
10-26-2010, 06:51 PM
A tc drop usually helps with vibes. Here is a link on how to check pinion angle.
http://www.wolferacecraft.com/pinionangle.aspx

alwaysxj
10-26-2010, 08:58 PM
I would say a tc drop would be ok or you can change out the front low pinion for a high pinion to get a better angle on the drive shaft and not have the tc hang down any lower then needed.

4.3LXJ
10-27-2010, 01:01 PM
You really don't need to drop the tcase for a 3" lift. You just need to adjust the angle of your pinion. First you will need one of theses angle finders.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Build%20Stuff/IMG_0455.jpg

Measure the angle of the pinion with the drive shaft disconnected on the face of the yoke. Then measure the angle of the tcase by putting it on the filler bolt or tail shaft end with the drive line removed. Subtract one value from the other and that is the angle of shim needed for the rear axle. This is much easier than doing a tcase drop and does not affect your tcase linkage. The angles need to look like this.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/2joint_angle.gif

muddeprived
10-28-2010, 10:36 AM
'01 XJ, RC 3in lift.

The new adjustable lower control arms, at 16in, stopped the dreaded "DW".:smiley-gen165:

Now I have a vibration.:( Feels like the drive shaft, I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Question: Will lowering my TC stop the vibration?

Can anyone tell me how to check the "angles" on my drive shaft and axles?

It's my DD and I just want to make it safe for the winter........

Pop off the front shaft and see if the vibes go away. If they do, then you need to correct the front pinion angle. If they are still there, then you need to correct the rear pinion angle like described by 4.3L XJ.

buckshot500
10-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Please note; if you do a T/C drop, the crossmember is held up by two bolts & two studs with nuts. These are not only a PITA to remove, they have little shoulders on the studs about midway down their length.

These shoulders do not fit through the holes in the crossmember!

You have to lower one side at a time, until the stud comes out, otherwise you will strip the frame nuts. Trust me you don't want to do that.

I do know what to do if you do though.

bluedragon436
10-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Looking at doing a TC drop for my 4.5" if I have the vibes... have talked to a few that didn't have them with the same lift I am looking at and the shims that come with the kit... so will try it out first, and see what happens... all else fails I will have the drop to install if needed...