PDA

View Full Version : Driver-Side Window Broken

Lije
10-25-2010, 07:26 PM
My driver side window hasn't worked since the day I got it and it's sortof annoying.

It rolls down (yes manual crank) fine, but when I try to roll it up, it just makes a thumping sound like it's not catching or something.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

bigjim350
10-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Sounds like the plastic teeth on your window regulator are starting to strip. When your roll it down gravity helps so its easy. When you try to roll it up your pushing up more weight so it slips. Best bet would be to get a good regulator from the junk yard.

4.3LXJ
10-25-2010, 08:23 PM
I agree :thumbsup:

JENSSEN
10-25-2010, 08:34 PM
:thumbsup:

I have changed a few with the same issues!

Mudderoy
10-25-2010, 09:13 PM
My driver side window hasn't worked since the day I got it and it's sortof annoying.

It rolls down (yes manual crank) fine, but when I try to roll it up, it just makes a thumping sound like it's not catching or something.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

This is about a POWER window but check it out to see if it helps you anyway...

:link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1821)

Lije
11-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Sorry to resurrect this post but I was thinking...

Is there a difference in the regulator for a 2-door and a 4-door?

I don't want to go buy the wrong one and then realize it doesn't work.

XJ Rat
11-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Son's XJ did the same thing. He finally shattered the window when he grabbed it wrong to roll it up.

Went to the U-Pull-It yard and found a comparable year XJ. First checked to insure correct operation of the window. Then pulled the window and the complete mechanism. It even had the right color tint (lucky).

If you decide to go this route, then take a charged power drill with you, since the rivets must be drilled out to remove the mechanism from the door. Pull your interior panel. You'll see what I mean. Replaced the rivets with 1/4-20 x 1/2" bolts, just incase it has to come out again.

bigjim350
11-28-2010, 04:44 PM

Im sure the regulator is the same, but all the mechanism that is hooked to it will be wider, since the two door window is longer.

Mudderoy
11-28-2010, 05:03 PM

I'll direct you to that link I gave you above. More than likely it's a small plastic part that needs to be replaced. The replaced is pricy $40, but it works and it's metal. I need to get another one for my driver's side door before it goes out on me.