PDA

View Full Version : radiator leaking question

Thomass
10-23-2010, 09:05 AM
My radiator is leaking very little, I've to ad coolant (half a liter) every day.
today i ordered a new radiator, and found out that delivery time is quit a while.
because, i do travel nearly every weekend a long distance to an remote area, i was wondering if i can, without being punished, ad an additive in the cooling system to prevent leaking or worse.
I have read on the web, that it is not advisable to do so with the standard jeep cooling-system.
so, what are the risk, if i do ad, and if i do, what should i use.
or is there an other advice.

4.3LXJ
10-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Thomas

Two things I would recommend. If you can get away without the pressure in the system, just back the radiator cap off a little so it is still there, but not holding pressure. That will slow or stop the leak until you can get your new radiator. If you run too hot, that will not work well for you though. But it should be cooling off in the Netherlands as well as here too. The other thing that works well is a product called Silver Seal.

Thomass
10-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Thomas

Two things I would recommend. If you can get away without the pressure in the system, just back the radiator cap off a little so it is still there, but not holding pressure. That will slow or stop the leak until you can get your new radiator.

This is what i will tri first, because i dislike adatives in a coolingsystem.

If you run too hot, that will not work well for you though. But it should be cooling off in the Netherlands as well as here too.
It is realy cooling down here, but also very rainy
Going up to Austria, not only the temp goes down, but also the atmospheric pressure.

The other thing that works well is a product called Silver Seal.

just before closing time of my local part shop, i managed to order this Silver seal, (he actually knew what it is and how it works)

I, however, never knew about this product, and mostly used black grained pepper, to stop a (small) leakage.
I do thank you for the suggestions, and will first tri to ride my rig with an radiator cap off a little.

Thomass

alwaysxj
10-23-2010, 11:13 AM
don't add anything to it, I have found that they do not really work,

this is what you do get some eggs crack them and put them in the radiator, let the engine warm up the egg will cook and plug the hole. I had a old chevy truck that was siting over the winter and was low on coolant and cracked the radiator, I dropped two eggs in and drove it for like two months tell I changed it out.

never mind I don't know if this will work on yours, I just noticed you don't have a cap. but I guess you can put it in the over flow bottle and see if it works.

Mudderoy
10-23-2010, 11:34 AM
The standard PSI on a rad cap for 4.0L 1998 is 16. If it is the same for Thomas's Jeep, how about a lower PSI cap?

Thomass
10-23-2010, 06:53 PM
The standard PSI on a rad cap for 4.0L 1998 is 16. If it is the same for Thomas's Jeep, how about a lower PSI cap?

Hmm, i will look in that on Monday when the dealer is open, they might have one on stock.
great idea.
I just turned the cap about a turn loose, and sealed it with an wire frame to keep it from turning and comming off
the only thing i noticed that the engine temp is going up some faster, so activating the auxiliary fan would hopeful do the trick

fore now i leave my rig in peace an do some rewiring on the navigator (nasty job)

Th