PDA

View Full Version : Items not getting power

4x4troy
10-22-2010, 04:46 PM
my 92 xj has a problem...besides the rust....the seats,windshield wipers,interior lights(dome),cig lighter all dont work.not getting power.i have checked the wiper motor and it works.i have checked fuses and have found nothing.any ideas will be great.thanks.

4.3LXJ
10-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Troy

I can't seem to find my wiring diagrams right now, but XJs, mine in particular, have fusible links that feed the power to the fuse block. They are rated at 30 amps and run multiple systems. I think you will find four of them coming off your starter relay. I just had one go bad on me and give me only partial power to my ignition switch. I fixed mine so it wouldn't happen again.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4933

These things look just like green wires and once they fail, they leave lots of stuff without power. I replaced mine with circuit breakers that reset themselves in case there ever was a problem again. You may however have a short to find. The circuit breakers make that easier, and cheaper to do.

4x4troy
10-22-2010, 11:07 PM
ok thanks man.

Thomass
10-23-2010, 10:11 AM
the seats,windshield wipers,interior lights(dome),cig lighter all dont work.not getting power.>>><<<i have checked fuses and have found nothing.

because they use different fuses,
did you check if the fuses get there power (against the ground)?

i suggest to look and check the fusebox (on both sides) for faulty connections or corroded contacts

the radio and the cig.lighter are fused together (pro.F2/15A)

the Dome Light, Courtesy Lights, Glove Box Light, Cargo Light,
Radio Memory, Power Mirrors, Teltak Connector.are on an other fuse (pro.F5/10A)

and the items you did name what doesn't work, AL have different wirefuses.
and will cut more power from items than you did name..

4x4troy
10-23-2010, 01:31 PM
i have no radio so don't know if it works.i will go recheck the fuses and i will check the back of the fuse panel.if i can get this stuff working i will be so happy...means i dont have to do a complete rewire...lol..thanks a bunch for the info.

4x4troy
10-23-2010, 03:14 PM
these green wire fusable links...how can i tell them apart from reg green wires?

Thomass
10-23-2010, 06:43 PM
these green wire fusable links...how can i tell them apart from reg green wires?

difficult to explane, but look at the following link, it might help...

http://www.amazon.com/JT-Products-208F-Green-Fusible/dp/B002UZSHPI

as you can see, they are not very long.

Th

4x4troy
10-23-2010, 07:25 PM
ok...where would i look for them?just a ballpark..sorry but i really don't know wiring

Thomass
10-24-2010, 07:49 AM
question,
does your horn function ?
your washer fluid light ?
your turn signals ?

maby stupid questions, but they are all getting there initial power from the same source.

if, those do not work, check your ignition switch (if it is faulty), and the brown wire.(if it has power when switched on)
if the do work, check the backside of the fuse panel. there must be than a loose contact.
there are no fusable links in this group.

4.3LXJ
10-24-2010, 10:59 AM

They will have a connection where they go from green to another color.

4.3LXJ
10-24-2010, 11:02 AM
ok...where would i look for them?just a ballpark..sorry but i really don't know wiring

They hook into the large post on the starter relay located just behind the battery on the fender well.

4x4troy
10-24-2010, 11:25 AM
horn works great...my son has blown it with me under the jeep and made me jump over the jeep....turn sigs work and the washer light....dont know that i will have to check.

4x4troy
10-27-2010, 11:37 PM
went and played with the jeep earlier today.the instument lights dont work either.all exterior lights work,high beams work,horn works....what does not work so far is

instrument lights
havac controls..nothing works,fan nothing...
power seats
cig lighter...need this for my gps..lol
wipers
interior lights(dome)

i have looked at the fuse panel and have found nothing that looks bad.

JENSSEN
10-28-2010, 12:28 AM
I have a similar issue in the 89 MJ but haven't looked into it yet,.. So far the speedo assembly lights and gauges as well as radio (assuming it works) have no power. Exterior lights work, small issues with the signals likely a ground short on the tail lamp. Once I dig into it I will let you know if I find anything interesting or new.

One silly question though ,.,, does the windshield leak by chance?

Thomass
10-28-2010, 02:36 AM
i have looked at the fuse panel and have found nothing that looks bad.
Did you measure if there was any power ? (with an voltmeter)

default83
10-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Did you measure if there was any power ? (with an voltmeter)

x2 take the fuses out and see if there is even power going to the fuse box, if that is getting power, check the fuses with the voltmeter, if they are good start tracing the wires and look for shorts and grounds...

4x4troy
10-28-2010, 01:40 PM
checked everything with voltmeter.heres what i found...

1)5.5 cicuit breaker for wipers...missing...attached a temp jumper and wipers work great...getting circuit breaket later...have removed jumper..lol
2)fuse slots 9-10 not getting power..one of these is the instrument lights..i think it was 9...ran a jumper and worked great...the other is rear window defrost.

i will post pics later with some of the stuff i have foun...got a few question about it.

4x4troy
10-28-2010, 02:02 PM
ok in this pic notice the green and orange wires.they are cut and then ran to a ground...why?
https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/833255/fullsize/100_0083.jpg

in this pic they fuse box as is right now...what all do you see wrong?and see the blue speaker wire to the right of the box...yeah that goes to a botton to start the jeep.you turn the key on then mash the botton to fire it up.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/833257/fullsize/100_0085.jpg

pvt.tadpolxj
10-28-2010, 06:58 PM
you might try getting to the large black ground wire that set's betwwen your battery and your PCU. It come's apart mine was very corroded and i cleaned it with some very light sand paper. That worked wonder's for my machine..