PDA

View Full Version : gear box?

TheRedBull
10-21-2010, 10:42 PM
I think m gearbox is leaking? lol..
For a majority of the summer and all of this fall so far, I've noticed discoloration and dampness on my floorboard on the carpet on drivers side.
At first I thought it was just moisture got in. Then thought , ok I music be carrying something on my shoes.

Its there permanently now. and my gearbox that rattles when I ride over certain bumps is right below the large damp spot on the carpet. Hope its not leaking. I thought about this earlier and checked. Didn't notice anything unusual?!

bigjim350
10-21-2010, 10:49 PM
I guess it could be your transfer case, but it would take one hell of a leak for it to show up there. Or maybe its hitting your floorboard and poked a hole in your floor.

TheRedBull
11-06-2010, 03:02 AM
That is probably it! Thats the only thing below my seat under the jeep rattling over certain bumps too. Too bad there isn't a way to lower it or ..tighten it?
And hoping that isn't the cause of the 'Maintenance Required' Light being on. The light had been on when bought my XJ from only previous owner.

Currently trying to figure out [other than may be an O2 Sensor] of what is rigged for that light to come on to do some checking myself. All fluids are changed and I have a non-leaking XJ. Although, I can't find out why or where my wiper fluid is leaking.

4.3LXJ
11-06-2010, 05:49 AM
That is probably it! Thats the only thing below my seat under the jeep rattling over certain bumps too. Too bad there isn't a way to lower it or ..tighten it?
And hoping that isn't the cause of the 'Maintenance Required' Light being on. The light had been on when bought my XJ from only previous owner.

Currently trying to figure out [other than may be an O2 Sensor] of what is rigged for that light to come on to do some checking myself. All fluids are changed and I have a non-leaking XJ. Although, I can't find out why or where my wiper fluid is leaking.

You need to do some checking on this first. Like crawl under the vehicle and look for signs of leakage from the transmission and tcase. If so, there will be plenty of evidence where it came from. As far as your CEL goes, just take it to and Auto Zone or similar parts store that will read codes for free for you and find out what codes it is throwing and go from there.

XJ Rat
11-06-2010, 02:43 PM
You did not comment about oil on the ground. Must be one heck of a puddle anywhere you park.

If your trans or T/C is leaking to the point of damaging your carpet, then you must have to add fluid every other week.

As stated before, get underneath the Jeep and look around. Please let us know when you find the source.

ice_cold
11-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Got to be a pretty good leak to get inside the jeep? Not to many holes down there.