PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Convertor

ice_cold
10-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Can this sucker be punted?
I have a 98, and its toasted. Figure the dumping of coolant down its throat, destroyed it. It had the marbles in a can noise when it was running.

So the question is..can I just yank it, and put up with the CEL. Or will it mess everything up? Like not being able to decide if it lean or rich, etc.
I have seen a few on here (BigJim350) that have removed it, and have the "off road only" exhaust. hat issues if any have you had.

Thanks
Mike
ps. hey I am old school, don't like it...chuck it!!

bigjim350
10-21-2010, 09:52 PM
My exhaust is considered off road only, because it would be breaking the law here to drive it on the street with out it. On mine, the only difference was it was louder, and it lost a little low end torque. I don't have a CEL light on. But keep in mind mine is a 1992 so its OBD1 and yours is OBD2.
Sent ya PM :thumbsup:

toebee97
10-21-2010, 10:23 PM
My exhaust is considered off road only, because it would be breaking the law here to drive it on the street with out it. On mine, the only difference was it was louder, and it lost a little low end torque. I don't have a CEL light on. But keep in mind mine is a 1992 so its OBD1 and yours is OBD2.
My old 90 with no converter and a flowmaster had more low end torque and more power in general than the 90 I have now, at least that's how it seemed, I never dyno-ed it or anything. I want to do the same to this one, it sounds awesome lol:driving: We don't have emissions checks here, but you're still supposed to have a converter unless it didn't have one originally. Anyway, I didn't have any problems with mine, it always ran smooth and even, didn't run rich or lean, sounded burly as all hell. The emissions light on the dash was always on of course, but I finally just pulled the bulb out and solved that problem.:cool: