PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Gremlins

4.3LXJ
10-21-2010, 06:29 PM
For the last couple of weeks, my XJ has been parked because I couldn't get it to start reliably. It was doing all sorts of weird stuff. Sometimes the starter would quit and go dead while cranking. Brand new high torque starter too. Sometimes it would just crank and never start. Sometimes it would fire a couple of times and quit. And sometimes it would start if you worked the ignition switch just right. So I tore into it and took the meter to everything. It turn out, after taking the column down and taking the ignition switch out and testing it, it was OK. Then I checked battery voltage and stuff and finally found that I had an intermittent voltage drop on the primary wire to the ignition switch. But only sometimes. I got to messing with the wires on the starter relay and it quit completely. I determined I had a fusible link getting ready to go south on me. So I decided to do what I have been recommending others to do. Replace them with circuit breakers. Thought I would eliminate a half pound of wire while I was at it and take power off the hot post on the back of the alternator. So here it is. My own brand new relays that run all the electrical for the whole Jeep.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0694.jpg

xj4life2
10-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Nice !!!! so can I be next ???? lol lol

XJ4IV
10-22-2010, 08:25 AM
I need to do that as well... mine is doin pretty much the same thing... I went to start it yesterday and NOTHING I checked battery wires they were good so I checked to make sure I actually HAD a littl juice and sure enough I did... like 2 volts I dont understand! I drove it in the AM and it started fine but come afternoon dead nothing was on so I jumped it and it started ran it for a about ten minutes and turned it off and tried to start it again... totally dead again...

4.3LXJ
10-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Is your alternator any good?

bluedragon436
10-22-2010, 12:40 PM
That is an awesome setup... I am hoping I don't have these issues any time soon, but if so... I know who I'm talking to, to get info for upgrade...

XJ4IV
10-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Is your alternator any good?

Not sure some days it reads about 13.8 some days it reads around 11 so I guess that thing is crappin out too

4.3LXJ
10-22-2010, 08:33 PM
My thoughts are that it is crapping out on you and not charging the battery

default83
10-25-2010, 07:23 AM
I need to do that as well... mine is doin pretty much the same thing... I went to start it yesterday and NOTHING I checked battery wires they were good so I checked to make sure I actually HAD a littl juice and sure enough I did... like 2 volts I dont understand! I drove it in the AM and it started fine but come afternoon dead nothing was on so I jumped it and it started ran it for a about ten minutes and turned it off and tried to start it again... totally dead again...

my jeep was doing this same crap, it ended up being a dirty battery post, couldnt even tell it was dirty...but after i used the post cleaner on it, started like a charm.

XJ4IV
10-25-2010, 09:11 AM
my jeep was doing this same crap, it ended up being a dirty battery post, couldnt even tell it was dirty...but after i used the post cleaner on it, started like a charm.

Ill give that a whirl ... hell thats free... MUCH cheaper than an alternator. I bought those quick release battery terminals a few years back and I remove them about once a month for one reason or another but since it has not been daily used that might be the issue!... Chris are you going to BVORR in THREE WEEKS!!!

Mudderoy
10-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Ill give that a whirl ... hell thats free... MUCH cheaper than an alternator. I bought those quick release battery terminals a few years back and I remove them about once a month for one reason or another but since it has not been daily used that might be the issue!... Chris are you going to BVORR in THREE WEEKS!!!

Yeah I forgot about those. I didn't say anything at the time (I don't think) but I don't like those. Best case, clean the posts and the inside of those quick release connectors every time you take it off.

bluedragon436
10-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah that is one thing I am going to look into when I get home, is cleaning up my posts, and getting some newer better terminals... but that is mainly to help support my next upgrade which is upgraded ground cables all around the engine bay. And maybe if the wife hasn't started my Jeep during the time I have been gone, I won't have to worry about the terminals either, cause I will just replace them with new ones, wiht a new Optima battery attached to them... LOL...

XJ4IV
10-26-2010, 03:49 PM
well HA FREAKIN HA I broke out the old battery terminal cleaner brush today and cleaned what APPEARED to be a clean terminal but still cleaned it anyways and TADA... she starts up like a champ again... that was odd but whatever man! Thanks Chris

Mudderoy
10-26-2010, 10:16 PM
well HA FREAKIN HA I broke out the old battery terminal cleaner brush today and cleaned what APPEARED to be a clean terminal but still cleaned it anyways and TADA... she starts up like a champ again... that was odd but whatever man! Thanks Chris

Yep, it's pretty amazing how that works out.

4.3LXJ
10-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Clean is good

Splooshist
09-02-2015, 10:52 PM
I have a 1991 XJ and for the past coupe months I've had an issue with what I'm now wondering if it could possibly be the fusable links you mentioned. Where exactly might I find those? I've replaced my spark plugs, plug wires, rotor and cap, battery, starter, starter solenoid, ignition lock cylinder, ignition switch, and I've checked all my fuses and relays and was about to replace NSS even though I really don't think that's the issue but I couldn't think of what the hell else it could be since I've also traced all the wires and checked all connections about a half dozen times. How I missed the fusable links is beyond me. I do get power on acc and start but when I turn the key to run I get not so much as even a relay clicking...,...I get nothing. Any ideas on whether it could be the fusable links or anything else I may have missed? Oh yeah, my buddy who owned my XJ before me replaced the coil with an Accel a couple years ago which is why I didn't already replace it as well. And it does fire if you cross the terminals on the solenoid with a screw driver. I had to do that for a while until I broke down and bought a remote push button but still sucks having to pop the hood every time I wanna go anywhere. XJs aren't good for a fast get away if they ain't already runnin cause they take so long to crank over but now I'd seriously be screwed if I had to make one.

4.3LXJ
09-02-2015, 10:56 PM
I can't remember if the 91 has fusible links, but if it does, they are green or orange looking wires with rubberized connectors on both ends that come off the starter relay located on the fender by the battery

Splooshist
09-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Ok, no it definitely doesn't have them then. I was picturing a fusable link to be more like an inline fuse. Well, shit....any ideas on what it could possibly be with the info I've given? This one has seriously got me. Thank you by the way. I know this post is a good 5 yrs old and wasn't sure if I'd hear anything. TY

4.3LXJ
09-03-2015, 09:52 AM
OK let me get some more info. Does the starter function. If it does, then you can get the engine to run?

Splooshist
09-08-2015, 02:14 AM
Yes the starter functions. I was using a screwdriver across the terminals on the solenoid until I got a push button remote start under the hood. Yeah, it does function though.

4.3LXJ
09-08-2015, 02:39 AM
First thing to check then is the starter relay in the power distribution center. You can swap in the AC relay to see if it is just a bad relay

Splooshist
09-08-2015, 02:44 AM
I've done that with several different relays just to rule out the coincidence that the first might be bad

4.3LXJ
09-08-2015, 09:41 AM
The next thing to do then is verify power to the relay at the number 30 terminal and the relay coil when the key is in start.