PDA

View Full Version : Rust-Oleum under coat

OrangeXJ
10-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Yesterday I prepared the back of the CJ to coat it as it was looking bad. I saw that Rust-Oleum had an under coat in a spray can. I got it and sprayed the back half of the jeep. The weather here in Houston was perfect for this mild temp and low humidity. This morning it was still tacky so I parked in the sun to "help it dry" it got worse. I called them and asked what's up and they said it will always be tacky unless you paint over it. It does not say this on the can. It looks good but I did not want to do the extra work.

bluedragon436
10-18-2010, 02:04 PM
So did you spray this under the CJ or actually on a panel or interior panel?? I know usually they leave it a little tacky because when you spray it under the vehicle it will pick up sand and dirt from the road that will stick to it... then it will no longer be tacky cause it was covered up by dirt and such... LOL... I found that out from spraying new under coat (matter of fact I think it was Rust-Oleum) on the bottom of my 00' Cougar cause the North East weather hadn't been nice to the stock stuff..

OrangeXJ
10-18-2010, 04:18 PM
So did you spray this under the CJ or actually on a panel or interior panel?? I know usually they leave it a little tacky because when you spray it under the vehicle it will pick up sand and dirt from the road that will stick to it... then it will no longer be tacky cause it was covered up by dirt and such... LOL... I found that out from spraying new under coat (matter of fact I think it was Rustoleum) on the bottom of my 00' Cougar cause the North East weather hadn't been nice to the stock stuff..

Yep that's what I did sprayed the hole back end of the CJ and that's what they told me. If I paint over it it will fix my problem.

bigjim350
10-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah I love rustoleum, but of all the paints on the market it takes the longest to dry.

bluedragon436
10-19-2010, 03:42 AM
Yeah I think it is one of the best to use for spray paints... but the under coating doesn't dry... no matter how long you give it... well it will dry if you drive it through some dirt or mud, and let it dry... then wash what is not stuck to the undercoating off.. then the undercoating will be dry... found that out the hard way... luckly mine was under the car, where it didn't really matter what it looked like...