PDA

View Full Version : Building a bumper...maybe?

ice_cold
10-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Am thinking that I may have to build my own bumper. The one I found that i like is no longer made.
I like the pre-runner look, so bending and welding is the direction..

My issue is I want to mount a winch. Making a mounting surface and extended unibody mounts is a little out there, as in, I have no idea what to do.

So I was thinking if I was to get, say a Detours Backbone set up, That would give me my winch mount, my recovery d-rings and frame hook up. With a proven record, rather than my " I hope its strong enuff " method.

I could then modify from that point to get what I want in a bumper.

Does this sound like a do able idea?

This is what I am looking at building:
http://www.4wheelsupply.com/day/jeep-xj-bumpers.htm

Open to ideas and thoughts.....going to fire up Autocad....play time

Mike

Mudderoy
10-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Am thinking that I may have to build my own bumper. The one I found that i like is no longer made.
I like the pre-runner look, so bending and welding is the direction..

My issue is I want to mount a winch. Making a mounting surface and extended unibody mounts is a little out there, as in, I have no idea what to do.

So I was thinking if I was to get, say a Detours Backbone set up, That would give me my winch mount, my recovery d-rings and frame hook up. With a proven record, rather than my " I hope its strong enuff " method.

I could then modify from that point to get what I want in a bumper.

Does this sound like a do able idea?

This is what I am looking at building:
http://www.4wheelsupply.com/day/jeep-xj-bumpers.htm

Open to ideas and thoughts.....going to fire up Autocad....play time

Mike

I'd have to double check with Spanky but I think the backbone is the heart of my winch bumper.

ice_cold
10-08-2010, 07:27 PM
That would be great! I am good at modding something to get what I want, just not to sure about building something that if it fails, due to poor workmanship, somebody could get hurt.

4.3LXJ
10-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Yes that would work well.