PDA

View Full Version : A Pleasant Surprise

4.3LXJ
10-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Thought I would grab my old Mile Marker winch and take the meter to it and figure out what was wrong with it. Touched the posts and got continuity? Somehow it repaired itself from when it quit. I guess I will keep it and use it after all. Here it is sitting in my rear bumper, the place I intended to put it so long ago when I started this bumper.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0678.jpg

cantab27
10-07-2010, 09:13 PM
wish i had parts that would fix themselves lol

gary63
10-08-2010, 07:15 AM
iwas told that they had a overheating safty switch that would shout down the winch and would lot it work again until it cooled way way down. my friend who had one it did it to him so he took some air and blow itout real good
and it started to work just fine.

4.3LXJ
10-08-2010, 10:11 AM
This one was cool at the time. Very slight pull when it quit. I drove about 100 mies home in the cool weather with the cable wrapped around the bumper and tried jumping it directly. Nothing. I have been kicking it around the shop for several years now thinking I would take it apart someday and figure out what happened to it.

cantab27
10-08-2010, 11:11 AM
might still pay to strip it down , cause ya know it wont work when ya really need it .....
just the way things work for jeep owners lol....
good set up one at each end steve ....

4.3LXJ
10-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks, yes I am still going to get into it. It will happen again. Murphy's law. I have found it is always easier to go back the way you came than going forward when in mud and deep snow.

cantab27
10-08-2010, 11:21 AM
what size is it steve ?

4.3LXJ
10-08-2010, 12:38 PM
what size is it steve ?

9,000# 4 Wheel Parts had a sale on 8,000# Mile Markers but had run out, so they gave me this one for the sale price.

cantab27
10-08-2010, 12:45 PM
haven't heard of most the winches a lot of guys run over there ... except warn ...
we have a lot of chinese ones flooding our market .... quarter the price ... but i think you only get what you pay for ........

4.3LXJ
10-08-2010, 12:47 PM
As is the case with this one. That is why I bought the Warn and why it goes on the back this time.

cantab27
10-08-2010, 12:54 PM
probably same Chinese winch but different brand name .....?????

cantab27
10-08-2010, 12:56 PM
http://www.winch.co.nz/winches/ewx-range.html

4.3LXJ
10-08-2010, 01:16 PM
probably same Chinese winch but different brand name .....?????

I have looked at a number of winches of this vintage. they all, including some even cheaper have the same identical gear box. So yes, probably.

gary63
10-08-2010, 10:45 PM
aslong as it pulls it's good the biggest diffrens is bearing and wiring out of the
winches i have had. warn or ramsy have been the best for me i realy liked
the old super x winches with a back up hand crank if your stalled and wont start. I do like having 2 winches too.

4.3LXJ
10-09-2010, 09:55 AM
It has always been my goal to have two winches. I end up wheeling alone sometimes so I can cover all the bases that way.

gary63
10-09-2010, 10:08 AM
my thought is a front winch is to pull other out of a miss and to get me throu or over a back winch is to get me out of a miss and loding things onto a trailer

4.3LXJ
10-09-2010, 10:14 AM
The trailer thing is a nice thought, but I don't haul anything that heavy any more with the XJ. I have a pickup for that. But someday, I think I might get one of these for a good tow rig.

http://100dollarman.com/trucks.html

gary63
10-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I have use the 2 winch on my cj for long pulls and even 1 time to lift it off the ground to get it off a rock on a tail

gary63
10-09-2010, 10:26 AM
i notes you have a atla transf what do you think of of it is it worth the money?

4.3LXJ
10-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I haven't had the opportunity to use the 10:1 ratio yet, which is no good without lockers except for going down hill. But I have enjoyed having the other two ratios when wheeling. Also, I am old school and have been using twin sticks on the main case since I was a kid. I am building a rig that does it all, not just one type of wheeling. So with that in mind, the money for the case is cheaper than two more rigs and the XJ is far more comfortable than anything else I could use.

gary63
10-09-2010, 11:03 AM
will thank i'm looking at the atlas but right now i'm trying to figer out how to install a winch on the back of my cherokee and not loose clearens.looking at
biulding a box inside and feeding it outside.the gas tank is the big problem.
do you know of anyone. if i get it i will put up some pix

4.3LXJ
10-09-2010, 11:06 AM
will thank i'm looking at the atlas but right now i'm trying to figer out how to install a winch on the back of my cherokee and not loose clearens.looking at
biulding a box inside and feeding it outside.the gas tank is the big problem.
do you know of anyone. if i get it i will put up some pix

I don't know of anyone that builds one ready made. Although you might check with Detours. One option is to use a receiver hitch and just plug it in when you need it. I built my own and lost very little approach angle.

gary63
10-09-2010, 11:29 AM
i have done the recever before and it work but i'm looking for something that is easy to get to but out of the way.and i'm not pulling off and moving it when not
in use.i have check with detours he is think of one too.

4.3LXJ
10-09-2010, 02:34 PM
A lot depends on the winch you use. This particular one had the solenoid box attached. But I took it off and used a couple of battery cables to make it remote. So there is only the winch. My present bumper has it tucked in pretty tight as you can see. It sticks about 2" down and 2" farther out than the stock bumper, which is not bad really.

gary63
10-09-2010, 04:06 PM
you are right that is why i'm thinking hydrolic it has valves and the pump can be mownted any were. and with the new elec. pumps you can tuck them up real tite. by the way i was thinking about your winch the motors is just like a starter so you may just have a bad spot like a starter that you hit and it starts to work . witch shuold be a easy fix good luck.

may pop
10-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Any chance of gettig a better picture of that fabulous rear winch bumper? Is it aluminium?
Thanks Ron

4.3LXJ
10-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Any chance of gettig a better picture of that fabulous rear winch bumper? Is it aluminium?
Thanks Ron

Yes it is aluminum. It used to be part of a vegetable conveyor. It is not done yet, so I haven't really posted much on it. Working on a swing away spare tire rack for it now. The black rectangular area is for the latch. The quarter panels will be trimmed and the winch installed. Unfortunately I an now down to the point where I will have to start buying new aluminum.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0690.jpg

gary63
10-14-2010, 06:11 PM
good job so far it lokks good can't wait to see it from the top and side.

may pop
10-16-2010, 10:47 AM
That looks great. The al. makes it even better. I have been wanting to move the winch on my sand Jeep to the rear so the weigth is in the back. Unfortunatly I will have to use steel.It will add a fair amount of weight but I can weld it my self.
GREAT JOB
Ron

4.3LXJ
10-16-2010, 02:41 PM
That one was welded with a wire feed set up for aluminum. The reason I went with aluminum was to keep it light.

gary63
10-16-2010, 04:40 PM
to help on keeping the weight down and keep from snagging yoursalf I would use the rope line insed of steel.

4.3LXJ
10-16-2010, 08:44 PM
to help on keeping the weight down and keep from snagging yoursalf I would use the rope line insed of steel.

That is the plan

gary63
10-16-2010, 08:57 PM
i did see inside were the winch set did you have drain holes then again you my not get the rain and snow like we do.

4.3LXJ
10-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Yes, one drain hole for now. I used to live in the land of the eternal temperate rain forest.

gary63
10-16-2010, 11:31 PM
yes my first bumper with a winch it looked good until it rained flooded the motor and rust that is when i find out how a winch was made.do you have any ideal on what you are going to use to biuld a sween out tire. like the hinds or latch?

gary63
10-16-2010, 11:58 PM
here is a site that may have something to help you or give you some ideals
what you can use or do. http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=180

4.3LXJ
10-17-2010, 12:26 AM
yes my first bumper with a winch it looked good until it rained flooded the motor and rust that is when i find out how a winch was made.do you have any ideal on what you are going to use to biuld a sween out tire. like the hinds or latch?

When you build a swing out tire carrier there are two things that are critical. the hinge(s), and most important the latch. I bought a factory tire carrier and and have been modifying it. I think in the end I will end up with just the hinges and latch. The factory latch is half finished, the black piece of steel in the bumper. The hinge brackets are made. You might notice them in the pic if you look closely on the passenger side. The trick will be to get it to work for a 38" tire.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0690.jpg

bluedragon436
10-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Nothing wrong with having parts that fix themselves after letting them sit for a while... Nice looking setup you got going there...

gary63
10-17-2010, 07:54 AM
how are you bolting it on did you make or buy and cut and change? is the hole thing alu. or steel on the body ?It does look good!

4.3LXJ
10-17-2010, 10:29 AM
how are you bolting it on did you make or buy and cut and change? is the hole thing alu. or steel on the body ?It does look good!

So far, the tire rack itself is steel. I am doing some cutting and changing though, such as the position of the latch. But the whole bumper is aluminum as well as the mounting points. You can see the top one sticking out in the pic and the lower one freshly made on the top of the bumper. There is a possibility I will make the whole rack out of aluminum too. Haven't decided yet. Just need to let it evolve.

4.3LXJ
10-17-2010, 10:31 AM

The rack itself has two hiem joints in it that bolt on the two mounting points I made for it

gary63
10-17-2010, 11:10 AM
if i can get ahold of a friend we made a tire carryer that swan out but the good part is it sets low on the road and raises up when you need more rear clearens. we used a front airbag suspention out of i think it was a honda low rider we found at pnp.he uses his on board air to rase it. he runs 38.other wise it set to high to see out the back. if i can catch him i will try to get some pix.

bluedragon436
10-18-2010, 05:21 AM
Just seems like that would be a bit too much effort... I like the rear tire mounts that Genright (http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=RTC3400) have for the Wronglers... where it holds it up, and then the whole cradle swings down, so you don't have to lift the weight of the tire to put it on the holder or take it off.. thought about something similar for my XJ one day...