PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas

XJ Rat
10-07-2010, 12:50 PM
98 XJ, 4 liter motor

There is a gurgling sound coming from the gas tank area when I shut off the engine. It lasts for about 2 minutes and sounds like air bubbles going through the gas in the tank. I took the gas cap off and it made no difference. Other than that, the Jeep seems to run fine.

Anybody have any ideas what might be letting air into the tank or anything else that might cause this sound?

Thanks,
Glenn

Mudderoy
10-07-2010, 01:05 PM
98 XJ, 4 liter motor

There is a gurgling sound coming from the gas tank area when I shut off the engine. It lasts for about 2 minutes and sounds like air bubbles going through the gas in the tank. I took the gas cap off and it made no difference. Other than that, the Jeep seems to run fine.

Anybody have any ideas what might be letting air into the tank or anything else that might cause this sound?

Thanks,
Glenn

We drilled a hole in the tank when you didn't show up for the meet and greet. I told them you didn't want to come anymore because you backed into the sign last time. :smiley-laughing021:

Mine was making that sound, but it was gurgling into the overflow tank after shutting off the engine from driving for an hour.

XJ Rat
10-08-2010, 12:31 PM
We drilled a hole in the tank when you didn't show up for the meet and greet. I told them you didn't want to come anymore because you backed into the sign last time. :smiley-laughing021:

Mine was making that sound, but it was gurgling into the overflow tank after shutting off the engine from driving for an hour.

Well, lets see...the wife bought two T-bone steaks and a nice bottle of wine. Now what did I want to do, be with her and the grilled steaks or hang out with you at Sonic. Sorry bud, it didn't take me very long to decide:D

But yeah the dent in my tailgate still makes me mad.....................

The gurgling appears to be a common ailment with 98 XJ's. Since posting I have talked with several 98 owners and a mechanic. Apparently Jeep issued a TSB to fix the problem, but the solution involves dropping the tank and replacing a spring. The problem is only annoying, so many chose to live with it.

Mudderoy
10-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Well, lets see...the wife bought two T-bone steaks and a nice bottle of wine. Now what did I want to do, be with her and the grilled steaks or hang out with you at Sonic. Sorry bud, it didn't take me very long to decide:D

But yeah the dent in my tailgate still makes me mad.....................

The gurgling appears to be a common ailment with 98 XJ's. Since posting I have talked with several 98 owners and a mechanic. Apparently Jeep issued a TSB to fix the problem, but the solution involves dropping the tank and replacing a spring. The problem is only annoying, so many chose to live with it.

Oh I guess I didn't look at it close. I thought you had just busted the tail light. Bad but much easier to fix than a dent. Sorry to hear that, I don't like my stuff dented either.

LizardRunner
01-19-2011, 09:50 PM
unfortunately yes you would have to drop the tank to fix that. it's caused by the venting system the spring mentioned holds a flap shut when the pressure is off and since the spring is weak, the flap opens and the gas is draining back into the tank all the way from the fuel bar.