PDA

View Full Version : Did you know? Official junkyard upgrades thread

XJ4IV
09-30-2010, 08:48 AM
OK I have YET to see this thread on ANY other site so what this one is about is things that will come off other vehicles and work on our jeeps...
There are several options out there but if possible in your posts include a little detail of whats needed (if anything) to make it work on the XJ's
heres one not alot of you know about
Some earlier model Isuzu rodeos and Honda passports had a rear Dana 44 in it which is the same width as our axles only problem is its a 6 lug setup
here is a pic I took yesterday to prove my findings
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo167/seivey/2010-09-29163410.jpg
You can mate this together on your jeep with a narrow track FSJ dana 44 front axle and they are the same width AND lug pattern
and basically all you have to do is put spring plates on top of axle and shock mounts... I didnt look at the yoke though... guess I should!
I know that several of us know tips and tricks to make things better for the Ole XJ but some of us DON'T so please even if its the most simple and popular thing to do please include it!

XJ4IV
09-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Dodge dakota 2wd springs from any year will give you about 4 inches of lift all you have to do is use ALL the dakota leaves and build them with the MAIN (top) leaf of your factory springs but FIRST you have to cut off the eyes from the dakota Springs this makes for easy removal at the junkyard as well just cut em out and cut the ubolts and go
only modification you need to make really is drill out the center hole on your factory leaf to match the hole size on the dakota springs and buy bigger nuts and bolts
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd107/basivey/kdk_0066.jpg

XJ4IV
09-30-2010, 09:14 AM
OK I have YET to see this thread on ANY other site so what this one is about is things that will come off other vehicles and work on our jeeps...
There are several options out there but if possible in your posts include a little detail of whats needed (if anything) to make it work on the XJ's
heres one not alot of you know about
Some earlier model Isuzu rodeos and Honda passports had a rear Dana 44 in it which is the same width as our axles only problem is its a 6 lug setup
here is a pic I took yesterday to prove my findings
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo167/seivey/2010-09-29163410.jpg
You can mate this together on your jeep with a narrow track FSJ dana 44 front axle and they are the same width AND lug pattern
and basically all you have to do is put spring plates on top of axle and shock mounts... I didnt look at the yoke though... guess I should!
I know that several of us know tips and tricks to make things better for the Ole XJ but some of us DON'T so please even if its the most simple and popular thing to do please include it!

this being said I wonder if axle shafts from a jeep d44 will be a direct replacement they you could get back your 5 on 4.5 lug pattern.
Anyone know?

msmoorenburg
09-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Only one way to find out :) pull it and count the splines and i'll change the diff oil in mine and do the same :thumbsup:

xj4life2
09-30-2010, 11:17 AM
No the axles are not interchangeable , the length and spline count is different. as for the leaf springs a s10 rear spring will do the same thing ,also refered to as a B Pack. Steering box off the dakota is a nice swap also.

4.3LXJ
09-30-2010, 11:38 AM
While you are at it, grab the leaf springs off that Isuzu for a bastard pack

4.3LXJ
09-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Don't forget the V8 ZJ tie rod upgrade, or the V8 Dakota steering box upgrade

steph74
09-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Are you still happy with your Bastard Pack made from the Isuzu leaves ? just wondering

4.3LXJ
09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Yes, very happy. The only upgrade to them as I have made them would be to add the bottom short leaf out of the XJ spring to support the middle more. This is a nice riding, very flexible spring.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3679&highlight=perfect+bastard+pack

XJ4IV
09-30-2010, 11:47 AM
... well bum deal on the shaft swap onder if you could swap the casing too lol I kmow Im getting more money involved than its worth

steph74
09-30-2010, 11:47 AM
sounds good... I have used the classic Blazer pack for about 3" lift but they are really stiff so I removed the thick overload and replaced with the XJ one... much nicer but lost some of lift.... oh well I will learn the hard way lol

Contribution to the thread: the Lebaron hood vents.... I did mine this week end and it looks great... haven't tried the jeep to see if it is ueful but it does give it a cheap nice look

XJ4IV
09-30-2010, 11:52 AM
my hood vents are from a peterbilt cement mixer.... fender intake I wonder how much lift youd get if you went with those ZR2 s10 packshttp://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3818/4301/22044650001_large.jpg

4.3LXJ
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
... well bum deal on the shaft swap onder if you could swap the casing too lol I kmow Im getting more money involved than its worth

What you suggested would be a good swap in my opinion, if you were not going to upgrade the shafts to something larger. As for the Waggy D44, good swap but those shafts are not a strong as I would like due to number of splines. But if you were to upgrade the shafts with a locker, and bore out the spindle a little and get a stronger stub shaft, you would really have something there. I like that six lug much better than what we have. Much stronger.

xjblue01
09-30-2010, 01:39 PM
lmao always great to see good reading material come into good use for out xj's =)

xjblue01
09-30-2010, 01:45 PM
great to see good reading material always comes in use for our trucks =) lmao