PDA

View Full Version : Best Brake Calipers

Mudderoy
09-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Well I've noticed that the Jeep feels like the rotor is warped after the brakes get hot. This goes away after things cool down. I've also noticed that it pulls to the left during hard braking. Bearings, rotors and pads have been change. Hell everything on the front end has been changed with the exception of the calipers and the brake lines.

I was thinking about replacing the calipers. Does anyone have a suggestion of brand that would be better than some run of the mill caliper? Maybe brands to stay away from.

I guess I could rebuild the calipers I have, I've just never done it before. Of course that doesn't stop me, just usually pisses me off while I'm learning. :rotfl2:

brandonlp
09-29-2010, 10:59 AM
OEM calipers are fine for most wheeling if you want to help cool things down buy new calipers, and get your hands on a set of EBC pads and slotted rotors. keeps brakes up to 200-300 degrees cooler on a hard brake, and do not by cross drilled they can crack,

if your looking for upgrades well there not cheap, but brembo is among the best name out there. theres also wilwood brakes but i dont know if either compant has upgrades for jeeps.

Mudderoy
09-29-2010, 11:02 AM
My main goal it to get rid of the pull to the left.

brandonlp
09-29-2010, 11:09 AM
thats usually cause by a failing caliper thats what mine was doing before it actually locked up on me.

Mudderoy
09-29-2010, 11:10 AM
thats usually cause by a failing caliper thats what mine was doing before it actually locked up on me.

That's great to hear. At $80 each would it be bad just to replace one then the other later? I wonder which one is causing the pull.

brandonlp
09-29-2010, 11:16 AM
personally id replace both at the same time, you can replace the left one if you want to but seriously but the pennies away and get some rotors and pads calipers fail for a few reasons, over heating, and age. on a hard brake...brake temps can climb to 1000 degrees its alot of heat and it takes a tole one a braking system, i doubt a jeep will see that high of a temp but 700-800 is possible.

Mudderoy
09-29-2010, 11:19 AM
personally id replace both at the same time, you can replace the left one if you want to but seriously but the pennies away and get some rotors and pads calipers fail for a few reasons, over heating, and age. on a hard brake...brake temps can climb to 1000 degrees its alot of heat and it takes a tole one a braking system, i doubt a jeep will see that high of a temp but 700-800 is possible.

Yeah one is $80, two is $160, and I really should replace the brake lines... I'll just wait until I can afford all that stuff. Maybe I should flush the brake fluid from the lines. It's never been done.

brandonlp
09-29-2010, 11:33 AM
93 chevy 1500 brakes lines are a good extended upgrade, thats what i run. bought them new for 30 bucks at advance autoparts. there 25 inchs total length

ice_cold
09-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Here is what a few guys up here installed.

http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/brakefinder/?make=Jeep&model=Cherokee%20-%20XJ&year=1998&engine=All&cat=all

Mudderoy
09-29-2010, 12:39 PM
93 chevy 1500 brakes lines are a good extended upgrade, thats what i run. bought them new for 30 bucks at advance autoparts. there 25 inchs total length

I've read about the stainless steel braided brake lines. I hear they don't expand as much. I was going to go with some of those. Are the Chevy 1500 stainless steel braid?

96xj
09-29-2010, 02:16 PM
you need to replace your passenger side Caliper , if you pull left when you brake, you don't have to replace both Calipers , but i would suggest you replace your break pads in front

Mudderoy
10-12-2010, 03:11 PM
I've never done a caliper rebuild. Checking caliper prices and NOT liking the total bill, I checked into caliper rebuild how to's. Boy does that look simple!

So right now I'm looking at a rebuild kit that includes a new caliper (worse case the caliper is rusty and pitted) from Morris 4x4 Center, $14.99. Piston and seals. Hawt damn!

My question is for anyone that has done a caliper rebuild before are there any other parts that I should consider getting in addition to this (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=5252614)?

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/images/5252614.jpg

kryptonitexj
10-12-2010, 03:43 PM
I remember paying like 20 bucks per caliper. Wait...
Orellie Auto Parts sells them for 20 bucks each.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Brake+Caliper/03345/C0066.oap?keyword=brake+caliper&year=1997&make=Jeep&model=Cherokee&vi=1180370

kryptonitexj
10-12-2010, 03:44 PM
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Brake+Pads+%26+Shoes/C0068/C0009.oap?make=Jeep&model=Cherokee&year=1997&vi=1180370

kryptonitexj
10-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Rebuilt calipers 2x$20=$40
Premium pads $67

Mudderoy
10-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Rebuilt calipers 2x$20=$40
Premium pads $67

Thanks, but there is no guarantee that I would get Jeep OEM calipers. If I rebuild them I will. It's $20 + $35 so they are $55 each for rebuilt calipers. $35 core charge.

xj4life2
10-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I've done several times and I'll tell you that its worth the extra $$ and not knowing if there actually off a jeep. Its a time consuming PIA . You have to be certian that the seals do not roll as you put the piston in if they do start over.The piston moust go in perfectly straight. Most of the time you will need to use air to blow the piston out they stick in there alot of the time. It can be done , I'd just rather not.

Mudderoy
10-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I've done several times and I'll tell you that its worth the extra $$ and not knowing if there actually off a jeep. Its a time consuming PIA . You have to be certian that the seals do not roll as you put the piston in if they do start over.The piston moust go in perfectly straight. Most of the time you will need to use air to blow the piston out they stick in there alot of the time. It can be done , I'd just rather not.

So you are saying it is worth it to buy them from say Oreily's instead of rebuilding?

gary63
10-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I have rebuild some and replace some if you can get the caliper most of the time you are better off. becouse the rebiuld parts don't always fit and can go out and you will do it again.

kryptonitexj
10-13-2010, 12:51 PM
The calipers you buy from Orellies auto are old Cherokee parts you turn in as cores that they rebuild and resale. Pull yours off take them to orellies and $40 +tax and you got new calipers. Ive doen this on two of my Cherokees with out a problem.

Mudderoy
10-13-2010, 02:08 PM
The calipers you buy from Orellies auto are old Cherokee parts you turn in as cores that they rebuild and resale. Pull yours off take them to orellies and $40 +tax and you got new calipers. Ive doen this on two of my Cherokees with out a problem.

Thanks. Yeah I assume the rebuilt one's have a better than average chance of being factory originals, but my luck I'd get some after market. $20 caliper is temping. I didn't want to change the caliper without changing the brake lines, so I went ahead and bit the bullet on these...

Custom Extended 5-Layer Stainless Brake Lines by Crown Industrial Products
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/crown-industrial/images/crown-industries-brake-lines-350.jpg
From Morris 4x4 (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/)

xj4life2
10-13-2010, 02:56 PM
So you are saying it is worth it to buy them from say Oreily's instead of rebuilding?

You will be alot happier and it will get done alot sooner and you can even paint them red if you want :rolleyes:

Mudderoy
10-13-2010, 03:03 PM
You will be alot happier and it will get done alot sooner and you can even paint them red if you want :rolleyes:

Thanks! Wow paint them red, now there's an idea! :thumbsup:

Jeepster19
10-13-2010, 08:08 PM
I had the same pull on my Xj and it turned out to be the rear drums were not adjusted correctly.I know what your thinking,the rear drums making it pull?I thought the same thing,but the pulling to the left is gone!I hope this helps.:)

Mudderoy
10-13-2010, 11:24 PM
I had the same pull on my Xj and it turned out to be the rear drums were not adjusted correctly.I know what your thinking,the rear drums making it pull?I thought the same thing,but the pulling to the left is gone!I hope this helps.:)

Thanks the only problem I have now is trying to remember if this started after I had the rear drum brakes replaced!?!?!?!? lol

gary63
10-14-2010, 07:29 AM
will if indout check it out and if you do paint them get high temp. paint and
don't put it on real thick it does hold the heat in.eastwood auto make paint just for that.

Mudderoy
10-15-2010, 11:26 AM

I tried stopping the Jeep yesterday with just the emergency brake. No pull. Still looking the diagram of the drum brakes, but I think that was a valid test...

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Drum_Brake_Service/Drum_Brake_Hardware_10_small.jpg

XJ Rat
10-15-2010, 01:11 PM
I've never done a caliper rebuild. Checking caliper prices and NOT liking the total bill, I checked into caliper rebuild how to's. Boy does that look simple!

So right now I'm looking at a rebuild kit that includes a new caliper (worse case the caliper is rusty and pitted) from Morris 4x4 Center, $14.99. Piston and seals. Hawt damn!

My question is for anyone that has done a caliper rebuild before are there any other parts that I should consider getting in addition to this (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=5252614)?

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/images/5252614.jpg

I rebuilt both front calipers on my TJ (same brakes as the XJ). The rebuild kit was about $18.00 per caliper. I have a spreadsheet at home that has the part numbers on it. It is not difficult (I did it). Main point is to use a green 3M pad for cleaning the piston. Under no circumstance use sandpaper. You want to remove the buildup of gunk, not change the dimensions of the part.

As far as rotors, do not buy any cross drilled, slotted, dimpled rotors. You have a Jeep, not a race car. You will never approach the temperatures where these parts are useful. Think about it, you go offroad and mud will get into these openings, then you have sandpaper on your rotors/pads. Great for the parts guy, bad for your wallet.

Had a copy on my PC at work. Bought these March 06 at Autozone. This does one side. Note - Do not buy a piston. The stock ones are made of some sort of Nylon product. Use the 3m pad to clean it up. If you really must run something other than the 3M pad in the caliper bore, use fine stones on your honer.
This does one caliper. All the below cost a total of $14.63.
AUTOZONE (1 SET BRAKE WASHERS #66250, 1 SET FRONT BRAKE CALIPER SEALS #66544, 1 SET BRAKE PARTS #H5773)
Get some brake fluid. I used this as a lubricant when I cleaned the piston.

gary63
10-15-2010, 07:34 PM
if you deside to rebiuld use the same brake fluid to lub as you have or going to use. also if you do rebiuld get new rotors if you turn the old ones and they were warped they will be thinner and heat up faster.You can heat up 4x4 brakes fast offroading and in low range.