PDA

View Full Version : head light switch

96xj
09-28-2010, 08:47 PM
OK my head light one night would not turn on , so i did some testing and I found out that my head light switch went bad so i got a new one from pepboys for under $20 :shocker: i installed it and now i got my H/L to work , but now i have no running lights front or rear , the switch took out had 1 ground connection and the new one has 2 side by side , dose any one know whats going on ?

96xj
10-04-2010, 09:16 AM
:wow: no one has any ideas ?
i checked all bulbs behind the dash tail light corner lights all fuses most grounds and i cant figure it out please help

4.3LXJ
10-04-2010, 09:35 AM
The problem is that we don't know exactly how you wired it up. As for two grounds, no clue. The original switch has two positions as well as a rheostat in it for the dash lights. This simple switch is not going to address the problem I am guessing. But again, I know nothing about the switch itself.

default83
10-04-2010, 12:28 PM
did the running lights work with the bad switch?

id say go get a different switch, one that is EXACTLY the same as the one you pulled out.

OR get a tester and start testing the power to each post on the switch as you turn the lights on and off see if they are even getting power at the switch, if they arent then there is your answer.

96xj
10-04-2010, 03:05 PM
i went out and got an oem switch from jeep the wiring is stock or at least i have not done anything to it , when i put the switch in it fixed the problem with the headlights not turning on , but now when i turn on my headlights me side marker and tail lights don't light up , i got brake light but not the running light
@ default83 - yes the running lights worked with the bad switch

Thomass
10-08-2010, 10:03 AM
check your fuses again by taking them out and use a meter to check the fuse. you might have created an short, or janked on a wire so it came lose...
if that is not the cause, put back the old faulty switch, and see what happens.

if then al works again as before, then with an gauge/meter check the poles on both switches if they give the same connection....