PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 gamers, or financers

Mudderoy
09-20-2010, 10:08 AM
It just dawned on me that you may either be an XBox 360 gamer or like me you just finance it for the kids to play on. Actually my youngest son bought the "Arcade" model and I just pay for the "Gold" XBox live membership. He's off attending college and he left the 360 for the younger girls to play on.

Here is something I found out about recently. The XBox 360 has a design flaw. When it gets hot, the motherboard warps slightly and causes the box to fail displaying a red ring, also known as the "Red Ring Of Death", a take off from Microsofts operating system "Blue Screen Of Death".

Basically you replaced how the heat sinks for the CPU and GPU are attached to the motherboard, and then you heat the motherboard so the solder melts and makes a good connection again. I have read that you may have to re-heat the mother board every 9 months to a year, but it's about 30 minutes to fix so it isn't that big of a deal.

I won't go into the detail here, unless someone needs the information, and requests it. Basically it's $6 of bolts and washers from Lowe's and 15 minutes with a heat gun. I used an IR thermometer to verify how hot I was getting the motherboard, but this probably isn't necessary to the overall success of the repair.

This XBox 360 was the "arcade" model which means it doesn't come with a hard drive. I purchased a hard drive holder from eBay for $20 and a new hard drive for $38. I spent about 30 minutes last night installing it, now the kids have the equivalent of a XBox 360 Pro with the addition of the 120 GB hard drive.

4.3LXJ
09-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Hmmm, maybe they put this one out without enough testing too?

Mudderoy
09-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Hmmm, maybe they put this one out without enough testing too?

No it is a very common problem. I just found out that Microsoft pays for everything to repair, actually they just replace the unit. A friend of mine has gone through 3 of them so far.

4.3LXJ
09-20-2010, 11:56 AM
So is the problem caused by inadequate heat sink on the processor?

Mudderoy
09-20-2010, 12:12 PM
So is the problem caused by inadequate heat sink on the processor?

The way the heat sinks are attached to the motherboard, and no LEAD in the solder since it is a toy being sold to children, is what I have read.

I think they have corrected the problem with the solder.

Indiana Jeep
09-20-2010, 03:49 PM
I actually used to have one. Luckily I never had any problems with it but it spent most of the time sitting on a shelf. One day I realized I hadn't used it in about 3 or 4 months and donated it to the children's ward at a local hospital. It was fun but never had any time to play, plus it was more fun playing in the Jeep.

rguignard
09-24-2010, 08:53 AM
tony did you take any pics doing this ? i need to fix 2 of them but i think im going to send one of the back couse its only 8 months old

Mudderoy
09-24-2010, 09:43 AM
tony did you take any pics doing this ? i need to fix 2 of them but i think im going to send one of the back couse its only 8 months old

Well I found out from some Twitter and Facebook friends that Microsoft pays shipping both ways and gives you a replacement unit. I'd check that out first.

I can find the links for you that I used, and of course answer any questions you may have.

Mudderoy
09-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Well xbox 360 is still working fine. It's flawless, no hangups like it was doing just prior to the RROD. The addition of the hard drive is very nice. As now you can download and play game demos.

I've never messed with the xbox 360 very much, but poking around at it last night (I was looking to see if I could find out if it is updating) I was very impressed with the overall package. The consoles are destine to be the entertainment one stop place.

rguignard
09-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Well I found out from some Twitter and Facebook friends that Microsoft pays shipping both ways and gives you a replacement unit. I'd check that out first.

I can find the links for you that I used, and of course answer any questions you may have.

one is going to them but the other has been opened up allready so they wont fix it

Mudderoy
11-16-2010, 07:19 PM
UPDATE!

It's failed twice since the repair. The last time re-heating the motherboard didn't cure the red ring of death.