PDA

View Full Version : Possible new toy, have questions

ice_cold
09-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Have a deal on a 98 Cherokee, thats actually solid!

It has a few issues, so I have come to the "experts".

1: The owner says that it does not like it when the temp gets over 25C. It runs rough and over heats. It has a new rad and hoses and both fans. He, for some reason, did not change the thermostat. But runs fine when cooler out.

2: When locked into 4h or 4l, there is a slight grind from the front right when turning left.

3: Once she warms for a bit, there is a sound that, for no better description, sounds like rocks tumbling in a can. The sound does not change, when put into gear, so my first thought of transmission is out. The owner says it is the catalytic. Never having experienced this, figured I would ask.

And lastly, how hard is it to put a full gauge cluster into it? It has that gas and speedo set, I would prefer a full gauge set.

Thanks for any thoughts, and/or ideas.

Mike

4.3LXJ
09-20-2010, 09:30 AM
1. The least you need to do is flush well, most is replace the radiator with at least 2 cores and check the clutch on the fan.

2. Sounds like you need to replace the axle u joint.

3. Does sound like the catalytic converter is shot

4. Gauge cluster is plug and play. But you must replace the oil and temp sensor with the ones that go with the gauges.

ice_cold
09-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Okay good to hear.
As to the clutch on the fan...it appears that there are 2 electrics in there.
As to the gauges..so gauge cluster and the sending units for temp and oil pressure....nice.

Axle u joint, is there a upgrade or is stock good enough?

Thanks for the info.

Mike

4.3LXJ
09-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Okay good to hear.
As to the clutch on the fan...it appears that there are 2 electrics in there.
As to the gauges..so gauge cluster and the sending units for temp and oil pressure....nice.

Axle u joint, is there a upgrade or is stock good enough?

Thanks for the info.

Mike

I would like to have a pic of the fans. The issue with electric fans is air flow. Many of them have insufficient air flow to cool a 4.0 on a stock radiator

DETOURS
09-20-2010, 12:03 PM
4.3 is all over this one! :cool:

I give it a: X2

U Joint, if you're going to remain mostly stock, replace with a greaseable unit, you'll need a needle adaptor for your grease gun.

ice_cold
09-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Another question..there is a guy in my area that has a set of 4.5 lift RE coils for sale, they are from a TJ. Will they work in a XJ?

DETOURS
09-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Only the front ones......

4.3LXJ
09-20-2010, 09:28 PM
I believe they will be 2" less in lift on the XJ

ice_cold
09-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Okay, Jeep comes home tomorrow...My bad 4.3, it has one mechanical and one electric.
It could use new tires, but want to give it some lift and get a set of 32's under it. One fender is wonky, so looking at flares. I know of the Bushwackers, both the styles. I have heard of Rusty's, not keen on the look. What else is out there? And dont go to the "iceland "style, one guy in the club out here had to wait 6 months to get his...lol

Thanks for all the info.
Mike

4.3LXJ
09-21-2010, 09:50 AM
You can use TJ and YJ flares, they don't look quite right to me but suitable. And here is one no one has posted about yet, LJ flares. The rear flares are nice and wide and while I am not thrilled with the rounded look of stock flares, some of the new aftermarket rear flares look real good and would do well on an XJ and accommodate 40" tires.

ice_cold
09-21-2010, 09:43 PM
LJ flares? As in the aftermarket variety? LJ?...ahhh long jeep..

Kind of like the bushwacker flat fender...the new one thats out for the XJ

4.3LXJ
09-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Yes, that is what I am talking about. The rear flat flares would look very good on an xj, particularly if the fenders were cut out wide.

BlueXJ
09-22-2010, 07:57 AM
4.3LXJ can you post a pic or two of those LJ flares? I have not seen those on an XJ.

4.3LXJ
09-22-2010, 09:50 AM
I saw some in one of my mags Mike. I checked 4 Wheel Parts and did not see them. I will have to reread several mags to find them. If I do, I will post a link. I remember thinking I really liked the looks as well as the width. They would work well for full width axles

ice_cold
09-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Great, like the idea about full axles...

Happy reading.....

Mike

4.3LXJ
09-22-2010, 12:04 PM
I saw some in one of my mags Mike. I checked 4 Wheel Parts and did not see them. I will have to reread several mags to find them. If I do, I will post a link. I remember thinking I really liked the looks as well as the width. They would work well for full width axles

Well found one of them. Project Blue in four wheel drive and sport utility. They omitted where the flares came from. I will try again.

ice_cold
09-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I think if the project is the Hemi powered JK..they are, as a quote from a online article:

To run the 39.5-inch Iroks with no rubbing, Burnsville trimmed sheetmetal in the rear fenderwells and installed a set of Xenon flat panel flares at all four corners. The big tires don't rub at all, even when fully stuffed into the wheel well.

The Grabber Blue 4 door...sharp looking....

panama red
09-22-2010, 03:03 PM
No flares and cut fenders. Small lift with 33s. LJ and TJ have the same flares.

ice_cold
09-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Here is what I was looking at, they appear a lot like the new flat tops from bushwacker.
http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/jeep/0903_4wd_2007_jeep_wrangler_unlimited_rubicon/warn_winch.html

ice_cold
09-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Well got it home, fixed the axle joint problem, took it for a drive. About 10 to 15 minutes at highway speed, I start losing power and there is a wicked knock sound...pull over and the truck dies. Then the clouds start drifting out from under the hood.
Wont restart...let it cool. Once cool, check to oil, looks good, oh hey whats this? Coolant all around thermostat housing, great blown a gasket. But why?
Had a buddy turn it over after,I got the rad refilled, kept the cap off, and turned it over............Water all over the place!!!!
Blown head gasket!! No wonder I got it so cheap...lol
Well at least I have a reason to replace the pump, since it will be out anyways!!