PDA

View Full Version : 4.0 head gasket replacement

tcmcnomad
09-18-2010, 09:30 AM
ok this weekend it is time to replace the head gasket on my 1998 classic. I call on yall that are more experienced with this bad lil motor

1. Can I get by with leaving manifold and header atached then sneak the gasket out? (I know it is a long shot but....)

2. Do I have to get the head machined or do they usually not warp if they run hot?

3. are there any bolts I am going to need to be perticularly wary about snapping? what is the best way to prevent this?

4. how do you get that darn plastic thingy that holds the wires for the injectors, off the studs (without breaking it) so I can get the valve cover off?

5. Is there a on line manual for these? torque specs are good to know?

6. Can I get recomendations on what gaskets to use so I don't have to do this again?

I preemptively thank yall for your help.

4.3LXJ
09-18-2010, 09:49 AM
No sneaking gaskets out. You can do that on a Subaru, but not any of the American stuff. You will have to remove it and clean both surfaces. American gaskets have stuff on them that sticks to both surfaces once the engine is hot. As for warping, that is something that you check for with a straight edge. Personally, if an engine has a lot of miles on it, I get a valve job done if I have to replace the head gaskets. Makes them run like new.

BlueXJ
09-18-2010, 10:44 AM
ok this weekend it is time to replace the head gasket on my 1998 classic. I call on yall that are more experienced with this bad lil motor

1. Can I get by with leaving manifold and header atached then sneak the gasket out? (I know it is a long shot but....)

2. Do I have to get the head machined or do they usually not warp if they run hot?

3. are there any bolts I am going to need to be perticularly wary about snapping? what is the best way to prevent this?

4. how do you get that darn plastic thingy that holds the wires for the injectors, off the studs (without breaking it) so I can get the valve cover off?

5. Is there a on line manual for these? torque specs are good to know?

6. Can I get recomendations on what gaskets to use so I don't have to do this again?

I preemptively thank yall for your help.

1- NO
2- Always a good idea to have head resurfaced.
3- Manifold bolts are prone to snapping and are special bolts and retaining nuts.
4- They pull straight up and off. I put nevr-seize on when re-installing. Makes it easier for future removal.
5- Yes.............PM me for a link.
6- Felpro or Victor are the best.