PDA

View Full Version : Welcome tcmcnomad!!!

XJ4IV
09-17-2010, 06:02 PM
tcmcnomad! Thank you for joining xjtalk

Tell us more about you, your Jeep, and what brought you here.

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

tcmcnomad
09-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi there,
My name is Brandon but most call me Nomad. I live in warner robins GA
I have been a gear head since birth. I have always into moding anything with wheels. 15 years ago I was mostly into slammin anything I could unless it needed to be slammed, then I had to figure out how I could jack it up on some mudders (short wheelbase dodge van+ trailduster frame and 44s, chevette on a bronco 2 frame + 38s, crown vic on a bronco frame, it goes on and on

Me and the wife just acquired my mums 1998 2wd cherokee classic today. We haven't had anytime to do any mods, right now I am just looking to get it solid running first. My mum had blown the head gasket and just decided it was time for something new anyways.

I am starting with handing the head gasket, that is what brought me here in the first place, then all the lil stuff, some coroded switches and ac stuff so it is the perfect commuter for the wife while I get prepared for other mods.

In the future is definitly a engine swap. Hoping to find some good info on a diesel swap that fits nice. I have plenty expeirence with grease car v dubs and mercedes, but if that is out of a reasonable price range for the engine and then I am considering a postal jeep 4 cyl swap maybe with turbo so I can still get considerable fuel economy.

Now this brings me to my biggest debate: It is a 2 wheeler so not exactly ideal for wheelin but that doesn't have to end suspension fun. Since I am sure My wife would never actually take it out for real wheelin but likes the look (she is a girl so it is ok) So I could do a prerunner style jacked 2 wheeler oooooorrrrrrr, several years ago i saw a sweet looking white w gold trim cherokee dropped about 6 inches. In all my years in the low riding comunity it was one of the most unique rides I have ever seen. Now as to weather or not the wife would let me drop and bag it is yet to be seen. First things first though, lets just get it rolling down the road lol

Mudderoy
09-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Hi there,
My name is Brandon but most call me Nomad. I live in warner robins GA
I have been a gear head since birth. I have always into moding anything with wheels. 15 years ago I was mostly into slammin anything I could unless it needed to be slammed, then I had to figure out how I could jack it up on some mudders (short wheelbase dodge van+ trailduster frame and 44s, chevette on a bronco 2 frame + 38s, crown vic on a bronco frame, it goes on and on

Me and the wife just acquired my mums 1998 2wd cherokee classic today. We haven't had anytime to do any mods, right now I am just looking to get it solid running first. My mum had blown the head gasket and just decided it was time for something new anyways.

I am starting with handing the head gasket, that is what brought me here in the first place, then all the lil stuff, some coroded switches and ac stuff so it is the perfect commuter for the wife while I get prepared for other mods.

In the future is definitly a engine swap. Hoping to find some good info on a diesel swap that fits nice. I have plenty expeirence with grease car v dubs and mercedes, but if that is out of a reasonable price range for the engine and then I am considering a postal jeep 4 cyl swap maybe with turbo so I can still get considerable fuel economy.

Now this brings me to my biggest debate: It is a 2 wheeler so not exactly ideal for wheelin but that doesn't have to end suspension fun. Since I am sure My wife would never actually take it out for real wheelin but likes the look (she is a girl so it is ok) So I could do a prerunner style jacked 2 wheeler oooooorrrrrrr, several years ago i saw a sweet looking white w gold trim cherokee dropped about 6 inches. In all my years in the low riding comunity it was one of the most unique rides I have ever seen. Now as to weather or not the wife would let me drop and bag it is yet to be seen. First things first though, lets just get it rolling down the road lol

Welcome. From what I understand the 4 cylinder that came with the XJ's won't save you anything in MPG. They just have to work harder to move it. The 4.0L 6 cylinder is near bullet proof. If you're going to go to the trouble of a swap you'd be better off going with it. Also there is plenty of information out there to build a stroker out of it and you get 4.5 to 4.7 liters and 250 to 275 hp out of her.

If you do wind up with any aspirations of off roading you can pick up a DANA 30 for pretty cheap. 4x4 AW4 and transfer case. We have a few people here that have done the conversion.

Nothing wrong with a 2WD daily driver though!

4.3LXJ
09-17-2010, 09:51 PM
TC

Welcome to the forum. You can buy any lift kit for the 4WD and it will work on the 2WD. The problem with an XJ and milage is it is an oxymoron. The thing is a box and the more you lift it the more the milage goes down. I get better than average milage with mine because it is a chevy engine with a 32% overdrive in the tranny. There are to my knowledge no good diesel swaps. Some have talked about the 4bt cummins, but even that is a pain to do. There is a European version of the XJ that has a diesel in it from the factory. I am told there a few in the states, but I have never actually seen one.

tcmcnomad
09-17-2010, 10:17 PM
you do have a point on the 4 vs 6 re fuel economy not to mention the massive pain in the arse involved with a swap with very small if any benifits. For right now that 4.0 is just fine and will probably last anouther 200,000+ after I redo the top end.

Now as for the diesel that is a whole different story, I don't know exact figures but I know with a turbo off of a chrysler 2.2 front wheeler you can make but loads of torque out of a VW diesel (more then their turbo variant) and they are pretty strait forward swaps via adapter plate into a rear and 4 wheel aps like the sidecick and yota trucks. They were also used by volvo in some of there diesels so there is a transmission that will bolt right up.
The diesels extra torque would be nice (dismal horses but torque to pull a house) but the main rteason I would be interested in a smoker is that I really loved having a grease car before gas went thru the roof. That drove the price of those cars that no one wanted like the rabbit to insane levels but heere are still bargains to be found in the impacted or rusted out body catagory

Mudderoy
09-17-2010, 10:23 PM
you do have a point on the 4 vs 6 re fuel economy not to mention the massive pain in the arse involved with a swap with very small if any benifits. For right now that 4.0 is just fine and will probably last anouther 200,000+ after I redo the top end.

Now as for the diesel that is a whole different story, I don't know exact figures but I know with a turbo off of a chrysler 2.2 front wheeler you can make but loads of torque out of a VW diesel (more then their turbo variant) and they are pretty strait forward swaps via adapter plate into a rear and 4 wheel aps like the sidecick and yota trucks. They were also used by volvo in some of there diesels so there is a transmission that will bolt right up.
The diesels extra torque would be nice (dismal horses but torque to pull a house) but the main rteason I would be interested in a smoker is that I really loved having a grease car before gas went thru the roof. That drove the price of those cars that no one wanted like the rabbit to insane levels but heere are still bargains to be found in the impacted or rusted out body catagory

I'd love to see a good diesel conversion of a XJ.

cantab27
09-18-2010, 02:19 AM
hi mate , welcome to the site ....have a look through this site
:link: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0903dp_jeep_cherokee_2_8l_turbo_diesel_conversion/index.html

:thumbsup:

oderdene
09-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Welcome to xjtalk friend.

For diesel conversion, here we have not so many XJs and very few of them have a stock 4.0 due to gas cost. Most people swap it with 2.7 diesel engine and stick transmission and transfer box borrowed from HYUNDAI Galloper. Even some removed front propeller shaft and running RWD. Will shoot n post photos, when I meet with man, who did this on his Grand Cherokee and XJ. He said 29-30mpg (maximum 8L/100km) in city. Mine is very hungry always :D 11mpg in city :(( on 31x10.5R15, but dynamic :)

tcmcnomad
09-18-2010, 08:39 AM
cantab you know exactly what i am talking about, I am just scared of what a conversion would cost

awesome!!! what engine are u running

oderdene
09-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Here is diesel on MJ (http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=955062), just for some idea.
http://colorado4wheel.com/images/1988_MJ/MJ192.jpg

tcmcnomad
09-18-2010, 09:43 AM
awesome!!! what engine are u running

my bad that was redundent once I checked your profile. I really hope I don't get that bad fuel econ w the 4.0 otherwise the wife is back to the dropped out corolla wagon (41mpg) on the way to work.

4.3LXJ
09-18-2010, 09:53 AM
:wow: How long is the belt for that motor? I have been looking for belts longer that 120" for my projects.

oderdene
09-18-2010, 10:11 AM
:wow: How long is the belt for that motor? I have been looking for belts longer that 120" for my projects.

They (http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1185)said:
Belt lengths between 20 in. (500mm) and 120 in. (3050mm) are easily manufactured, while belt lengths outside this range are available as special production

cantab27
09-18-2010, 01:55 PM
my bad that was redundent once I checked your profile. I really hope I don't get that bad fuel econ w the 4.0 otherwise the wife is back to the dropped out corolla wagon (41mpg) on the way to work.

cool as mate , got that link of a Aussie site ,,, they have heaps of stock diesel xj ,, we have a few down here as well ...some guy was talking about re powering his diesel with a yo ta diesel ,,, can post link if you like ...
cheers :thumbsup: