PDA

View Full Version : Overhead shelf

prerunner1982
09-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Anyone here have an "over head shelf" in their XJ? It goes from side to side where the sun visors mount...

I am looking for a good place to mount radios (CB, Ham, scanner) and a place for switches. I really want more than a shelf... something with a closed/flat front. I have seen an XJ on a forum with one... but can't seem to find it now.

Just looking for ideas, options, and mounting ideas.

Thanks...

Lamar
09-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Anyone here have an "over head shelf" in their XJ? It goes from side to side where the sun visors mount...

I am looking for a good place to mount radios (CB, Ham, scanner) and a place for switches. I really want more than a shelf... something with a closed/flat front. I have seen an XJ on a forum with one... but can't seem to find it now.

Just looking for ideas, options, and mounting ideas.

Thanks...

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Interior/CB_Radio/overhead_cb.jpg

Uniden mini-cb mounted on a 'Shelf-It' overhead console. (Full-size radios are too big to mount readily onto these shelfs.)

http://images.stylintrucks.com/handlers/dynamicimage.ashx?~YT03MDAmYj03MDAmYz0wJmQ9MCZlPTA uMjUmZj0xJmc9MyZoPXBvcFxTaGVsZkl0X3BvcC5qcGcmbj0xJ mk9NzAmaj0zMjcmaz03MDAmbD0xJm09MTMmbz0w

:link: (http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Interior/CB_Radio.htm)

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/163707_lg.jpg

prerunner1982
09-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I had seen those, but am looking for something with a closed front. Custom made is ok...

And the Rifle It dude is rocking a mullet! :rotfl2:

Mudderoy
09-16-2010, 05:13 PM
I had seen those, but am looking for something with a closed front. Custom made is ok...

And the Rifle It dude is rocking a mullet! :rotfl2:

You can't use that as a base and attach a panel to get what you want?

Nothing wrong with looking around more, but I'm just saying...

prerunner1982
09-16-2010, 05:18 PM
I am sure I could....

rugidone
09-16-2010, 05:28 PM
The Rifle-It guy, I didn't know billy ray cyrus was still doing advertisements.

Mudderoy
09-17-2010, 02:27 AM
The Rifle-It guy, I didn't know billy ray cyrus was still doing advertisements.

We should make all members have their 100th post as a quote at the bottom of all their 100+ posts. :smiley-laughing021:

BlueXJ
09-17-2010, 03:21 PM
We should make all members have their 100th post as a quote at the bottom of all their 100+ posts. :smiley-laughing021:

I agree,...................................wonder what my 100th was???????????

4.3LXJ
09-17-2010, 08:19 PM

Probably a joke :D

BlueXJ
09-18-2010, 10:53 AM

Probably a joke :D

Most of my posts are, whether they are intended to be or not.

HokieAirman
01-09-2011, 02:27 PM
It's a good concept, but the Cherokee already has such little headroom that anyone taller than 5'9" would probably find their view obstructed. Also, it is never fun when that guy rear ends you and you get beamed in the head with some kind of garbage you had stowed up there.

LizardRunner
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
what about fabing up your own overhead console? I've given up on finding one in the jys and am just going to make a mockup and bend my own in aluminum or thin steel.

Mudderoy
01-11-2011, 03:37 PM
what about fabing up your own overhead console? I've given up on finding one in the jys and am just going to make a mockup and bend my own in aluminum or thin steel.

My first introduction to death was in 6th grade when one of the four people that sat at a large project table with me didn't return from Christmas break.

He was riding a motorcycle, with a helmet, but when he landed hard his forehead stuck the metal disc that was on the handle bars, killing him.

Reading this description of a metal shelf in a low roof XJ reminds me of what happened to my class mate so many years ago.

I know you've been in body work for many years, so I suspect you have a good idea about how to do it safely. Just reading that make me feel I needed to at least put my experience and concern out there for people to consider.

4.3LXJ
01-11-2011, 03:48 PM

When and IF I do something like this, it will be with a center roof console only. That way I will leave the head room and visibility alone.

LizardRunner
01-11-2011, 03:56 PM
My first introduction to death was in 6th grade when one of the four people that sat at a large project table with me didn't return from Christmas break.

He was riding a motorcycle, with a helmet, but when he landed hard his forehead stuck the metal disc that was on the handle bars, killing him.

Reading this description of a metal shelf in a low roof XJ reminds me of what happened to my class mate so many years ago.

I know you've been in body work for many years, so I suspect you have a good idea about how to do it safely. Just reading that make me feel I needed to at least put my experience and concern out there for people to consider.

Nooooooooooooo not a shelf. I am talking about a center roof console not a shelf. I like the look of my forehead just the way it is. I hate full shelfs for the same reason you state. another way to go would be to make a mount for the back side of the low center console, most people aren't going to be switching channels while wheeling anyway so why not put it where it's out of your way?

LizardRunner
01-11-2011, 04:02 PM
When and IF I do something like this, it will be with a center roof console only. That way I will leave the head room and visibility alone.

YES! that's what I am talking about doing. I've been looking all over for a factory made unit but have been unsuccessful in finding one. So, being the fabricator I am, I have decided to mock one up in cardboard and then bend up my own. I don't need a compass, I just need a place to lock up some small stuff and maybe hang my SSB inside, up in the center, out of the way. I've seen many cb's hung in just about every place imaginable but this seems like the best idea. I do not like the idea of a shelf. not even in a van or in my 32' RV even. to easy to have a wreck, who wants to get killed or maimed by that loose stuff you stuck up there out of the way and forgot to fasten down? not me sir, nope nope nope not me.

Soon as I get a good mockup made I will post some pictures and offer up the plan for making the pattern it will be free of course cause this isn't for money it is for XJTalk friends.

modestmar00xj
01-11-2011, 04:10 PM
hmmm i havent seen that yet! good idea though!

4.3LXJ
01-11-2011, 05:10 PM
YES! that's what I am talking about doing. I've been looking all over for a factory made unit but have been unsuccessful in finding one. So, being the fabricator I am, I have decided to mock one up in cardboard and then bend up my own. I don't need a compass, I just need a place to lock up some small stuff and maybe hang my SSB inside, up in the center, out of the way. I've seen many cb's hung in just about every place imaginable but this seems like the best idea. I do not like the idea of a shelf. not even in a van or in my 32' RV even. to easy to have a wreck, who wants to get killed or maimed by that loose stuff you stuck up there out of the way and forgot to fasten down? not me sir, nope nope nope not me.

Soon as I get a good mockup made I will post some pictures and offer up the plan for making the pattern it will be free of course cause this isn't for money it is for XJTalk friends.

The factory did have a center console in the later models. Had a trip computer and such in it. Plan on anchoring it at the dome light and the visor catch.

XJ Rat
01-12-2011, 06:19 AM
I've been looking all over for a factory made unit but have been unsuccessful in finding one. Soon as I get a good mockup made I will post some pictures and offer up the plan for making the pattern it will be free of course cause this isn't for money it is for XJTalk friends.

I have found two pre 1996 XJs in the JY with overhead consoles (son has an 89). Got the mounting brackets disussed above, the smaller visors, and all the wiring.
Might also look in early 90s Caravans, they also had overhead consoles with 'wings' on the front end. I know, bad description.

Mudderoy
01-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Nooooooooooooo not a shelf. I am talking about a center roof console not a shelf. I like the look of my forehead just the way it is. I hate full shelfs for the same reason you state. another way to go would be to make a mount for the back side of the low center console, most people aren't going to be switching channels while wheeling anyway so why not put it where it's out of your way?

Ahhh ok, but I really enjoyed my story! :smiley-laughing021:

LizardRunner
01-13-2011, 01:24 PM
I have seen people decapitated by shelfs, so no shelf for this lil lizard.

LizardRunner
01-13-2011, 01:26 PM
caravan? I had not thought about those, thanks much! our Jy's here seem to have sold all the overhead consoles they run into, sucks to be a late comer :(

prerunner1982
04-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Finally found the picture I was looking for....
http://home.comcast.net/~kayaker121/DSC_0134_sm.jpg

4.3LXJ
04-22-2011, 11:10 PM
That does look cool

Mudderoy
04-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Finally found the picture I was looking for....
http://home.comcast.net/~kayaker121/DSC_0134_sm.jpg

Problem is my head is higher than that. It might be in my line of site. Part of what I see has a blue tint to it. If I wear a baseball hat it rubs on the ceiling. :(

Weldmen
04-23-2011, 11:47 AM
I was gonna say that looks pretty low. I thought about doin this to mine, but I sit high in my seat being 6'1" and all. I would have to slowch to see. But it sure looks cool.

prerunner1982
04-23-2011, 04:42 PM
I am only 5'9" so I don't have that problem....

4x4Dalton
04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
I would knock myself out every morning goin to work if I did that. LOL

DETOURS
04-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Had one in an XJ I bought one time........took it out as soon as I could, one came in my F~350.......took it out as soon as I could. I'm 5-11, it was too much blood to think about........:indifferent0028:

prerunner1982
05-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Here is another I had seen and finally found the picture of.
http://home.comcast.net/~kayaker121/overhead_shelf_small.jpg

Also since I mounted my Hmmwv seat it sits about 2" lower than stock...

4.3LXJ
05-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Man, that one looks low to me

prerunner1982
05-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Yeah, it may be the angle of the picture, unless they moved the rearview mirror it isn't any lower than the top of that. I guess there is something to be said for being average.......average height anyways.

Now that I look at it, the two pictures seem to be of the same overhead shelf just different versions.

BlueXJ
05-11-2012, 10:45 PM
It seems to be the most promising design for the XJ.