PDA

View Full Version : Radial VS. Bias

xjrev10
09-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Im looking at getting some IROKS for my primary wheeling XJ. This jeep will see use in all 4 seasons we have up here in northern MN. The Jeep is garaged about 4 miles from the trail. I will be driving it to the trailhead. What would be my best bet, radials or bias? What are pros and cons of each. I've heard that on the rocks up here (sharp) "radial tires beware!" I have an idea what the difference is, but could someone refresh my memory?

Soon to be getting Walker Evans beadlocks 15" wheels and 36s.

4.3LXJ
09-14-2010, 09:39 PM
The best thing to do on details of construction is to visit a tire website. But basically the bias ply belts go diagonally up the sidewalls and radials go straight up and down. The diagonal belts crisscrossing each other make a stronger sidewall. The tread belts are the same situation with the radial belts going the length around the tire. Each have their advantages. Bias ply tires conform better to the terrain and will get better traction on rocks and such. However in snow, sand and soft situations the radials float much better and give superior traction.

rugidone
09-15-2010, 08:46 AM
According to a friend of mine running 36x13.50-15LT Iroks on his yj, he wishes he had got the radials instead of the bias ply (not a lot of rocky terrain around our parts) and its a daily driver.

xjrev10
09-19-2010, 11:06 PM
According to a friend of mine running 36x13.50-15LT Iroks on his yj, he wishes he had got the radials instead of the bias ply (not a lot of rocky terrain around our parts) and its a daily driver.

yea i can see why you would want radials for something that is on the street lots