PDA

View Full Version : xjTalk has a new member - Mechanic98!

XJ4IV
09-13-2010, 04:41 AM
Glad you joined our group Mechanic98!

Are you an old Jeeper, or new to the hobby? What brings you to our site? Do you have an off road monster, a daily driver, or something in between?

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

Mechanic98
09-13-2010, 05:04 AM
Hey everyone. Ron here. I am new to the site and just acquired a 1996 XJ. It was my father's for about 6 years and the only mud it saw was when I drove it. Finally after all these years, I finally own it. He just purchased a Grand Cherokee and passed this vehicle down to me.

I just started concentrating on what I want to do with it. Eventually It is going to get a lift and new tires. Does anyone know the biggest size tire I can go with on a stock Cherokee Sport? It has 235's at the moment. I will try to find in another post, I'm sure it is there, just have not looked yet.

Mudderoy
09-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Hey everyone. Ron here. I am new to the site and just acquired a 1996 XJ. It was my father's for about 6 years and the only mud it saw was when I drove it. Finally after all these years, I finally own it. He just purchased a Grand Cherokee and passed this vehicle down to me.

I just started concentrating on what I want to do with it. Eventually It is going to get a lift and new tires. Does anyone know the biggest size tire I can go with on a stock Cherokee Sport? It has 235's at the moment. I will try to find in another post, I'm sure it is there, just have not looked yet.

Let me just ask this before everyone else does, what is the biggest without removing any fender trim, or cutting the fenders, right?

4.3LXJ
09-13-2010, 10:05 AM
:welcome: to xjtalk

30"tall on stock rims without trimming the fender wells.

1ATony
09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
welcome to the site.

Mechanic98
09-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Hey guys. Thanks for the welcome and the Info.. I am eventually going to be putting a 4inch lift on it so can always upgrade the tires later, just wanted something a little bigger for the time being.

Mudderoy
09-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Hey guys. Thanks for the welcome and the Info.. I am eventually going to be putting a 4inch lift on it so can always upgrade the tires later, just wanted something a little bigger for the time being.

Nothing wrong with near stock, or even stock. :patriot:

Mechanic98
09-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Well, the reason I want to go a little higher is for the reason that I bottomed out this past weekend and couldn't move an inch. lol Got hung up on some deep ruts and all 4 tires were off the ground.. lol

I was going good, then slid down into the ruts while trying to go around them. Just need some new tires for now, the front tires didn't have the grip to hold it from sliding.

oderdene
09-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Welcome to xjtalk friend, glad to you having XJ and decided to lift. Once started modding, will never stop, trust me :D :D :D

Mechanic98
09-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Welcome to xjtalk friend, glad to you having XJ and decided to lift. Once started modding, will never stop, trust me :D :D :D

Yeah, that is what I'm afraid of... lol Thanks for the welcome :D

:patriot:

Mudderoy
09-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Well, the reason I want to go a little higher is for the reason that I bottomed out this past weekend and couldn't move an inch. lol Got hung up on some deep ruts and all 4 tires were off the ground.. lol

I was going good, then slid down into the ruts while trying to go around them. Just need some new tires for now, the front tires didn't have the grip to hold it from sliding.

I love sitting up high. We get heavy rains in Houston from time to time and the higher the vehicle the more you can piss off people with the waves as you drive by and swamp their 4x4 Subaru!

Mechanic98
09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Thats funny. My buddy used to have one of those subarus... lol

I'm probably going to end up going for a 3-4 inch lift along with some 31-33 inch tires (depending on lift I end up with).

Mudderoy
09-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Thats funny. My buddy used to have one of those subarus... lol

I'm probably going to end up going for a 3-4 inch lift along with some 31-33 inch tires (depending on lift I end up with).

rguignard started off with a 3.5" lift and 31's tires. After wheeling the :pee: out of it he put on 33's and now is complaining that he wished he had started with 4.5" lift.

I read several people on NAXJA say they went with n inch lift then went up higher! Same thing with re-gearing the axles. I'm glad I started with 4.5" of lift. I would have gone with 6.5" but I would have had to have had a SYE first (more than likely).

After I get the SYE I will go to 6.5" but it worked out well because all I have to do is replace the coils, or put in 2" spacers. I already have 6.5" capable in the rear. Oh and change the brake lines.

I doubt I'll go any higher than that. Too high in a Jeep can be a bad thing.

"roll me over, in the clover..."

rguignard
09-14-2010, 06:47 PM
rguignard started off with a 3.5" lift and 31's tires. After wheeling the :pee: out of it he put on 33's and now is complaining that he wished he had started with 4.5" lift.

I read several people on NAXJA say they went with n inch lift then went up higher! Same thing with re-gearing the axles. I'm glad I started with 4.5" of lift. I would have gone with 6.5" but I would have had to have had a SYE first (more than likely).

After I get the SYE I will go to 6.5" but it worked out well because all I have to do is replace the coils, or put in 2" spacers. I already have 6.5" capable in the rear. Oh and change the brake lines.

I doubt I'll go any higher than that. Too high in a Jeep can be a bad thing.

"roll me over, in the clover..."

and i still wish i did the 4.5 lift :smiley-laughing021: but i think ill stay with the 33's btw 33's fit with 3.5 lift with cutting look up my build thread :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
09-14-2010, 07:42 PM

The age old rut thing. Been there hundreds of times. The secret it having tall tires and relatively small differentials. The diffs we already have. If you stay away from lockers, you can go up to 33 inch tires on what you have. That will get you through most ruts. And don't forget the winch on the front too :D