PDA

View Full Version : brake light

96xj
09-06-2010, 07:42 PM
OK so this morning the brake light came on , so i checked the brake fluid and it is good , what else would make the brake light come on ?
i did not check of the brakes yet , but i changed them not to long ago,

Mudderoy
09-06-2010, 11:06 PM
OK so this morning the brake light came on , so i checked the brake fluid and it is good , what else would make the brake light come on ?
i did not check of the brakes yet , but i changed them not to long ago,

Basically, there is a leak somewhere. If the fluid level is still full, the leak is internal (usually the master cylinder). The fastest way to look for the leak is to look at the inside of the tires, Are there any oily spots on the brake system components? If so, this will explain why the brakes do not work, Brake fluid damages the linings. The BEST way is to remove the tires and inspect the caliper/wheel cylinder seals. If the vehicle has rear drums then when you replace the wheel cylinders as a set, if you find one to be bad.

Here is what those lights mean:

BRAKE WARNING LIGHT(The RED One):

The Brake Warning light may be one for one of two reasons: you forgot to release the parking brake, or your brake system has a potentially serious hydraulic problem that may make your vehicle unsafe to drive.

First, check the parking brake lever, handle or pedal. Make sure it is fully released. If that is not the problem, test the brakes by pressing on the brake pedal. If the light comes on only while pressing the pedal, it means one of the hydraulic circuits in the brake system has lost pressure -- probably because of a leak (bad brake hose, leaky disc brake caliper or drum brake wheel cylinder). Your vehicle may or not be able to stop with this kind of problem, making it unsafe to drive. If the pedal feels unusually low or goes to the floor, DO NOT attempt to drive the vehicle. Have it towed to a service facility for repairs (or fix it yourself).

If the Brake Warning light remains on all the time, the problem may be a low fluid level in the master brake cylinder reservoir. Many vehicles have a fluid level sensor that comes on if the fluid level gets low. This may also occur when braking hard or braking on an incline because of the fluid sloshing inside the reservoir. Check the brake fluid level and add fluid as needed if low. The brake system should also be inspcted for leaks or worn linings.

:link: (http://www.justanswer.com/questions/bei1-i-have-a-1991-jeep-cherokee-limted-6-cyl-and-it-has-brake)