PDA

View Full Version : I want to remove my catalyic converter on my jeep need info n advice ty

xjblue01
09-06-2010, 01:03 PM
SINCE LIVING IN FL I COME TO FIND OUT THEY DONT HAVE AN EMISSIONS LAW HERE NOR DO I NEED TO PASS A STATE INSPECTION LIKE I HAD TO DO IN NYC LOL SO I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE MY CAT OFF . BUT IVE READ SUM ARTICLES SAYING ON 96+ JEEPS ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO DO BC OF POOR GAS MILEAGE OR 02 SENSOR N CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. HMMMM DONT RELE WANT THOSE LOL BUT SUM POS FEED BACK I READ WAS IMPROVEMENT ON HP N TORQUE DUNNO HOW RELE BUT OK LOL .SO ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP PLZ TY :cheerleader:

Mudderoy
09-06-2010, 01:09 PM
SINCE LIVING IN FL I COME TO FIND OUT THEY DONT HAVE AN EMISSIONS LAW HERE NOR DO I NEED TO PASS A STATE INSPECTION LIKE I HAD TO DO IN NYC LOL SO I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE MY CAT OFF . BUT IVE READ SUM ARTICLES SAYING ON 96+ JEEPS ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO DO BC OF POOR GAS MILEAGE OR 02 SENSOR N CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. HMMMM DONT RELE WANT THOSE LOL BUT SUM POS FEED BACK I READ WAS IMPROVEMENT ON HP N TORQUE DUNNO HOW RELE BUT OK LOL .SO ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP PLZ TY :cheerleader:

Hmmm that's really interesting. I thought the catalytic converter was an EPA mandate, nationwide. My understanding is the downsteam O2 sensor monitors how well the catalytic converter is scrubbing the exhaust. If you don't have one then it won't be scrubbed and the downstream O2 sensor will see a problem. I'm not sure how it would effect your gas mileage.

Summit Racing has high flow catalytic converter for $100, or so. I replaced mine a while back. In fact the muffler shop that installed it for me said it was the same one they sold for $250. He was very impressed with the price.

4.3LXJ
09-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Old school tech says deep breathing is the secret to horsepower. But in todays technology, some back pressure is needed for the computer to work properly. It is programed to work with the back pressure of a catalytic converter there in order to provide the proper air/fuel mixture. When it is missing, you can loose horsepower from a lean mixture. As Mudderoy said, Summit has good high flow converters. I have one too and am pleased with it.

By the way, it is a federal law in all 50 states that you have to have one.

default83
09-09-2010, 08:20 AM
we used to gut ours and just run a straight pipe through it, that way during inspection they see it, we dont have emission testing in our county.

if you have stock manifolds, there will be enough back pressure.

you most likely will have a CEL on, i know for toyotas they make this deal called 02 simulator, it tricks the computer if you dont have an 02 sensor, might be worth looking into.

but the real question is, is it really worth taking it out for maybe 1-5 HP added? id just leave it be. when i did mine, i did it for the sound.

rguignard
09-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Old school tech says deep breathing is the secret to horsepower. But in todays technology, some back pressure is needed for the computer to work properly. It is programed to work with the back pressure of a catalytic converter there in order to provide the proper air/fuel mixture. When it is missing, you can loose horsepower from a lean mixture. As Mudderoy said, Summit has good high flow converters. I have one too and am pleased with it.

By the way, it is a federal law in all 50 states that you have to have one.

x2 its not going to help your hp at all :thumbdown: just leave it in there and put a 2.5 pipe from the header all the way back and a flowmaster or other good muffler and a good cat

xjblue01
09-09-2010, 01:49 PM
well since looking @ it im rele better off getting a new one anyway with only 87k on my truck its in bad shape n i alrdy broke a bolt on it so i would have to burn it off if anything but hell no not worth my time so im prob just gonna do st8 pipe from the cat all the way out no muffler :cheerleader: