PDA

View Full Version : Front swaybar bushing mounts; stripped nut inside the unibody frame!!

Mr Clean
08-26-2010, 03:59 PM
One of the bolts on the front swaybar bushing mounts is stripped out. Now because it's a unibody frame how do I get inside to either weld in another nut, after removing the damaged one, or attach a nut so that the bushing mount bolt can be replaced once I replace the bushings? Can I cut a hole into the frame right next to where the bushing mount is to gain access to get the job done? Have any for you guys run into this problem, what did you do? Thanks.

Mudderoy
08-26-2010, 04:15 PM
One of the bolts on the front swaybar bushing mounts is stripped out. Now because it's a unibody frame how do I get inside to either weld in another nut, after removing the damaged one, or attach a nut so that the bushing mount bolt can be replaced once I replace the bushings? Can I cut a hole into the frame right next to where the bushing mount is to gain access to get the job done? Have any for you guys run into this problem, what did you do? Thanks.

Drill a hole large enough to get a nut and a wrench in there. Or better cut an opening tack weld a nut in there then weld it back up with same thickness metal.

I've never had the problem. Of course the other solution would be to remove the sway bar. Lots of people run without them.

Mr Clean
08-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Drill a hole large enough to get a nut and a wrench in there. Or better cut an opening tack weld a nut in there then weld it back up with same thickness metal.

I've never had the problem. Of course the other solution would be to remove the sway bar. Lots of people run without them.

Thanks Mudderoy, I was thinking of doing the same exact thing, drilling a hole, tacking in a bolt, covering hole.
I was just searching for other options anyone may have besides that one. Think I'll just go with that one.

oderdene
08-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Of course the other solution would be to remove the sway bar. Lots of people run without them.

Is it safe? I did before, but feeling is strange, specially 50mph. Also lots of people not suggested removal of front sway bar. Rear is no problem, I already removed it. :D

Mudderoy
08-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Is it safe? I did before, but feeling is strange, specially 50mph. Also lots of people not suggested removal of front sway bar. Rear is no problem, I already removed it. :D

I like corning too much. I don't think XJ4IV or rguignard have a sway bar.

cantab27
08-26-2010, 10:05 PM
but those two are rebels .... fit some disconnects

Dirt Dogg Rydas
08-26-2010, 11:19 PM
I had the same problem when I put the t-case drop I drilled a hole big enough fit a wrench. Only I haven't patched up the hole which I should get done I have everything I need to do it.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
08-26-2010, 11:22 PM
You can see the hole in this pic.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv254/hatchetman0170/IMG_0316.jpg

4.3LXJ
08-28-2010, 10:35 AM
One more suggestion. Measure the size of the hole in the frame as exact as you can. Then go to a fastener store (specialize in nuts and bolts and stuff like that) and ask about a nutsert for the size bolt you need, or one slightly larger if you need to. Then if the nutsert is a little larger than the hole in the frame, match the hole to what is needed. The larger nutserts just require a bolt to crush them down and attach to the frame. Then, viola, a factory looking job.

Mr Clean
02-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Well after over a year without replying with my fix on my broken bolt swaybar issue here it is, better late than never they say!? The small hole on the side of the frame near where the the swaybar attaches to the frame I was able to drop a bolt in finess it to where it needed to be, held it down with a long screwdriver while I tightened the bolt attaching the swaybar. Luckily I didn't need to drill or cut into the frame. Problem solved. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Mudderoy
03-01-2012, 02:28 AM
Well after over a year without replying with my fix on my broken bolt swaybar issue here it is, better late than never they say!? The small hole on the side of the frame near where the the swaybar attaches to the frame I was able to drop a bolt in finess it to where it needed to be, held it down with a long screwdriver while I tightened the bolt attaching the swaybar. Luckily I didn't need to drill or cut into the frame. Problem solved. Thanks for all the suggestions.

This is what my mechanic did on my track bar a few years ago. I need to re-visit the nut insert solution. I like that idea, and now with the RC drop brackets I think I'm going to need this solution to tighten up the more "decorative" portion of the drops that are now lose because of the stress on the sheet metal bolts provided in the kit.