PDA

View Full Version : Transmission not shifting right

ice_cold
08-18-2010, 06:30 PM
My buddy has a 90/91 Cherokee. The thing is the transmission will not shift right, sometimes it feels like its stuck in a gear. It mostly feels like it is happening in the upper gears.
I have been doing alot of searching and reading. I keep coming back to either a ground strap, or the TPS.
The fluid is nice and red and nothing smells burnt.
With this being a mostly electronic transmission, is there a way of testing the TPS to see if its the problem?
Want to help him out for personnal greed, he is going back to Germany at month end, and this XJ is stock with 238000 kms on it and NO rust. And he will sell it to me for $700cdn.
So any thoughts or ideas will be put to practice..thank you
Mike

Mudderoy
08-18-2010, 07:00 PM
My buddy has a 90/91 Cherokee. The thing is the transmission will not shift right, sometimes it feels like its stuck in a gear. It mostly feels like it is happening in the upper gears.
I have been doing alot of searching and reading. I keep coming back to either a ground strap, or the TPS.
The fluid is nice and red and nothing smells burnt.
With this being a mostly electronic transmission, is there a way of testing the TPS to see if its the problem?
Want to help him out for personnal greed, he is going back to Germany at month end, and this XJ is stock with 238000 kms on it and NO rust. And he will sell it to me for $700cdn.
So any thoughts or ideas will be put to practice..thank you
Mike

I heard of shifter solenoid issues as well, I think that is what they are called.

default83
08-19-2010, 08:31 AM
I heard of shifter solenoid issues as well, I think that is what they are called.

yeah shift solenoid i had one go out on my truck, it would make it shift really weird, also could be the torque converter.

i wouldnt see how the TPS would interfere with the transmission, though i could be wrong, i would THINK if the TPS was out the rig would not idle/accelerate right.

ice_cold
08-19-2010, 08:41 AM
been reading more, the TPS has 2 sets of wires on it. One goes to the ECM the other to the TCM.
It would seem, if the TPS was showing a lesser throttle position, and the ecm with the speedo showed a higher speed the TCM would interpret it as a small throttle opening, high speed...and shift into a higher gear or OD.
Does that make any sense?
I am hoping I dont have to open up the tranny or replace it.

jdougn
08-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Hey, this may be a real simple fix.

The throttle valve cable needs adjusting as any XJ gets older and it is directly related to the transmission. There's a writeup on this on NAXJA.
NAXJA - Throttle Valve Cable Adjustment (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963)

Did this on my XJ and it made a massive difference in shift patterns.