PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Fan Electric Fan Upgrade

Mudderoy
08-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Matt, is this the same as the one you have?

http://www.autoparts-autoparts.com/images/tyc_parts_big/620210.gif

Looks like this is the correct one...

http://www.dormanproducts.com/images/Product/icon/620-101-001.jpg

msmoorenburg
08-16-2010, 03:55 PM
its the 2nd one

Mudderoy
08-16-2010, 03:55 PM
F4dz 8c607-ca

prerunner1982
08-16-2010, 06:02 PM
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/electrical/154_1007_july_2010_randys_electrical_corner/index.html

When ya'll were talking about it in chatbox and the start up draw I remembered I had read something about it recently. Just now found it. I realize it is from JP so take it as you will, but I think it would be worth someone actually comparing/measuring the start up draw up the Taurus fan.

Mudderoy
08-16-2010, 07:31 PM
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/electrical/154_1007_july_2010_randys_electrical_corner/index.html

When ya'll were talking about it in chatbox and the start up draw I remembered I had read something about it recently. Just now found it. I realize it is from JP so take it as you will, but I think it would be worth someone actually comparing/measuring the start up draw up the Taurus fan.

I read on Go Jeep that it was 85 amp startup and 33 amps continues at the 4500 CFM setting. Measured would be nice, but that would require a pretty hefty, or specifically designed amp meter.

Mudderoy
10-08-2010, 12:20 PM
I ordered and recevied a 2 speed Taurus fan from e-bay. Tested both speeds and it works.

I ordered a 75 amp relay for $14 shipped.

Just about 15 minutes after ordering the relay I found this;

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/2sp.jpg
Our 2sp controller will control all of the two speed Ford cooling fans, including the 3.8L Taurus fan correctly, the low speed circuit is calibrated to turn the fan on low at 185F, but is adjustable over a wide range of temperatures. The high speed circuit turns the fan on high at 10 degrees higher in temperature while disabling the low speed circuit

:link: (http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm)

For full disclosure, not bitching, here is the ordering, communications, and wait for this product.

Product ordered and paid for on 08/30/2010

On 09/21/2010 I e-mailed support [at] dccontrol.com
I received a reply the next day about 3am...

It's in the run I'm building now, it should go out early next week

At 08:35 AM 9/21/2010, you wrote:
>I ordered a 2sp about 3 weeks ago. I haven't received any information
>that the order was accepted, or expected shipment date. I see that a
>charge of $88.95 was processed on 8/31. Can you take a moment to reply
>to my e-mail so I have some idea when this product will arrive?

Product reported shipped 10/07/2010 (6 weeks from order to report of being shipped!)

So it was more than two weeks after the e-mail before it shipped.

Here's the bottom line folks. If you are used to dealing with Amazon, NewEgg, etc... and you get e-mail notification for something that you ordered and then in 3 days it shows up at your door, well don't expect that from DC Control (dccontrol.com).

I have read stellar reports on the product and absolutely devastating reports on the wait times. If the product was good, then people wouldn't bitch about the wait, right?

A little research calmed me down from the fear of having my money stolen from me, but it is a bit disconcerting when you are used to have lots of information/communications from a business and receiving the product quickly.

It seems this is a one man operation and he builds the equipment to order.

Disclosure over...

The 2 speed fan control will operate the Taurus fan automatically, which is exactly what I need for when I'm not the one driving the Jeep. I am thinking about using the relay so I can run an over ride switch for the Taurus fan. First things first though, I need to get the fan and controller installed. Adjust it and test it out. Hopefully I'll be able to leave all the mechanical fan bits minus the fan, and clutch. That way I can always revert quickly and easily if need be.

4.3LXJ
10-08-2010, 12:55 PM
What does that use for a sensor Muddy?

Mudderoy
10-08-2010, 01:00 PM
What does that use for a sensor Muddy?

I guess I won't know until I get it...

Temperature Sensor
Plug the temperature sensor into the two-pin connector of the controller. The temperature sensor should be mounted on the tophose
side of a cross flow radiator (tanks on the side) about half way from the top to the bottom of the radiator. On a down flow
radiator (tanks on the top and bottom), the sensor should be mounted at the top of the radiator, about midline horizontally.

http://www.dccontrol.com/2sp.pdf

4.3LXJ
10-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I have shied away from those after ruining one I bought just trying to hook it up. I have that Taurus fan left over from a repair project I once did. I haven't hooked it up to anything yet. I ended up drilling and tapping the manifold and using a GM sensor I bought from Painless Wiring. I probably would have to use two sensors to make this run properly.

Mudderoy
10-08-2010, 01:23 PM
I have shied away from those after ruining one I bought just trying to hook it up. I have that Taurus fan left over from a repair project I once did. I haven't hooked it up to anything yet. I ended up drilling and tapping the manifold and using a GM sensor I bought from Painless Wiring. I probably would have to use two sensors to make this run properly.

Two sensors was my first though. I don't like the idea of putting a temp sensor on the outside of something, to me it needs to be in the coolant. I'll try this first and see since it really is the first time I'm doing such a thing. At $80 it is a cheap simple solution. From what I have read from those that are using it, it works well.

Mudderoy
10-16-2010, 04:39 PM
The 2sp from DCControl.com came in last Tuesday.

I'm out in the garage, I've taken out the mechanical fan and the bolts that stick out from the (I don't know) thing that the fan and clutch bolt to, are too long to let the Tauras fan slide into place.

The bolts are threaded on both ends. One end screws into the part that spins the other end is where you put the nut on to hold the fan and clutch.

How do you unscrew those bolts? I figured it must be a reverse thread bolt on that end so I tried a couple of nuts and then tried tighting them to see if the bolt (or stud) would back out. It didn't and I don't want to twist it off. Thought I'd come look for and post here.

Mudderoy
10-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Ok I finally found it. Pretty simple. The threaded studs just screw in same direction as the nuts. Two nuts and use the one on the inside to unscrew the studs.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TLo4xu1Ch9I/AAAAAAAAAdg/o7SqSnpJJSU/s800/2010-10-16%2016.59.41.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TLo4tHAB3_I/AAAAAAAAAdc/QWuQMkqisO8/s800/2010-10-16%2017.14.09.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TLo4ldd2ZiI/AAAAAAAAAdY/7ks2dtOZbkE/s800/2010-10-16%2017.21.42.jpg

Mudderoy
10-16-2010, 07:28 PM
I am unable to swap in the Taurus fan today. I will have to remove the part that the mechanical fan attaches to. I will also have to extend the transmission cooling line since that is in the way of the bottom of the fan.

I will also have to bend up, or remove completely the tabs that the OEM fan fits into at the base of the radiator.

I need someone to cover the bottom part of the fan shroud as well. That should be pretty simple though.

Oh and I'll need a new belt, shorter.

4.3LXJ
10-16-2010, 08:43 PM
As it is with all conversions, there are little details to attend to.

bluedragon436
10-19-2010, 12:56 PM
As it is with all conversions, there are little details to attend to.

I look forward to seeing the remainder of this mod completed... I am wanting to do this mod, and will use this writeup for the information to order the necessary parts... but I think for now I will stick with using a HD clutch with mine, as I found one for a decent deal @ the JY right before I left for the desert...

Mudderoy
10-19-2010, 01:46 PM
I look forward to seeing the remainder of this mod completed... I am wanting to do this mod, and will use this writeup for the information to order the necessary parts... but I think for now I will stick with using a HD clutch with mine, as I found one for a decent deal @ the JY right before I left for the desert...

I am a little concerned about the space between the back of the efan and the stuff on the front of the engine.

I need to see if I can find a post somewhere about this being done on a 97+ XJ.

That fan puts out a LOT of air on the 4500 CFM setting!

bluedragon436
10-19-2010, 02:44 PM
How close is it with the fan sitting in it's installed position?? And is that with the part the stock fan/clutch bolts to removed?? I know most of the people I have seen install these fans have said they had to go to the aftermarket radiator to be able to clear them... was wondering if that was really necessary... I mean don't get me wrong would love to get rid of my plastic end tanks... and get something that will cool better anyways... I just don't have the money to throw at it right now... darn I need a raise... wonder if I can write my congressman about that...

Mudderoy
10-19-2010, 03:38 PM
How close is it with the fan sitting in it's installed position?? And is that with the part the stock fan/clutch bolts to removed?? I know most of the people I have seen install these fans have said they had to go to the aftermarket radiator to be able to clear them... was wondering if that was really necessary... I mean don't get me wrong would love to get rid of my plastic end tanks... and get something that will cool better anyways... I just don't have the money to throw at it right now... darn I need a raise... wonder if I can write my congressman about that...

I was unable to get the fan installed all the way. The transmission cooling line was in the way. This is part of the problem. The little peg that sticks out from the pully that the mechanical fan bolts to touches the efan. It's not so much that it would touch the blades of the fan but it does touch the housing.

My factory radiator has long ago been replaced. I think when the XJ was 2 or 3 years old. I've had a all metal ever since. I have a 3 core now, but the 2 core was repaired and sitting in a box in my garage. Spare!

bluedragon436
10-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah after I take care of the stuff I need too right now, and get my lift/tires the radiator is a planned upgrade for sure...

ice_cold
10-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Wont a gear puller remove the spindle hub for the fan blades?

Mudderoy
10-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Wont a gear puller remove the spindle hub for the fan blades?

I don't want to make a permanent change. If the electric fan won't fit, rubs, stops working, I'd like to be able to go back to the mechanical fan.

TheWeiss
10-20-2010, 04:16 PM
I just want to post on here to stay updated. This is a project I've been considering closely. Good luck and let us know how everything turns out!!!

XJ4IV
10-20-2010, 09:49 PM
yeah I too will be doing this upgrade... doubt it before BVORR but still doing it... fouind out today that my Mech fan is loose and has made contact with my 3core NOT COOL... poked a hole in the radiator BUT alumaseal fixed it in less than five minutes...REALLY surprised

XJ4IV
10-26-2010, 03:26 AM
Scored me a dual fan setup from a taurus... then got home and found the EXACT part number is not the same one I got... pretty ticked about that... I got mine from a 3.8 1997 model but the way things are going I think Im gonna go ahead and put both of these fans in anyhow and see what becomes of the situation

bluedragon436
10-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Hey nothing wrong with it, if you can get it to fit and work... wouldn't think it would be too bad to do.. I am def. going to take care of my brake conversion before I do this, as I am still running the stock radiator, want to change that out first..