PDA

View Full Version : Power Dist Center

cpXJ92
08-13-2010, 06:33 AM
Hey guys,

New here, have a 1992 XJ Laredo. Working on getting it running and have replaced a few items on it. Latest thing is I think I have a bad Power Dist Center. Had an issue with the starter not getting any power so I bypassed the box and installed a separate relay, worked like a champ. Had another issue with having to crank 2-3 times for it to start and lack of power when gas pedal was pushed, installed a new fuel pump, worked like a champ for a night. Tried to start it the next morning, nothing. Cranked but didn't turn over. Checked and not getting any spark. Checked the fuses and the ignition fuse was blown, replaced it, blown again. Had my brother watch the fuse as I tried to start it and it blew as soon as I turned the key to the 'ON' position. Since we had the issue with the starter before I'm thinking maybe a new PDC would fix the issue, if not, I may have a short somewhere and that won't be fun to find. Any suggestions on where I can find a PDC or other things to try? I've called a few places and no one seems to have it and the dealerships don't carry them anymore from what I understand. Any help on this would be great. Need to get this beast started and running. Thanks in advance!

4.3LXJ
08-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I doubt it is the PDC. But if you are set on getting one, find a pick and pull. You will have to do your own work to pull it, but it will be reasonable. A dealer would be very expensive. Do you know how to use an ohm meter to find a short?

oderdene
08-15-2010, 10:38 PM
There might be problem with PDC, remove all fuses and relays. Then:
- check the base of relays and fuses - any movement and/or corrosion
- pull the PDC and try to move/pull wires one by one

mine has a loose fit under big fuse and when I pull fuse - female connector going up and when inserting fuse it goes down, makes lots of trouble.

also good to check grounding connections. Here is good reference:
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Electrical/Ground_straps.htm (http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Electrical/Ground_straps.htm)