PDA

View Full Version : Is This Shop ripping Me Off?

Kimber6331
08-09-2010, 01:09 PM
I took my 01 xj to the shop because for a long while i have been having an engine stalling problem> Some of you guys arleady know what I'm talking about. Well I took it thinking it would either be the crank position sensor or the fuel pump. Well turns out the tech guy told me it was the CPS. And hes charging me about 300 to replace it. :hmmmm2: Is it just me or does that seem a little crazy? I swear i remember seeing some posts on here discussing how cheap and easy they are to replace. I cant remember where. i could really use some help. If i can fix the problem with half the cost i definitly dont want to pay 300 for it. Any insight? Thanks guys!

Mudderoy
08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I took my 01 xj to the shop because for a long while i have been having an engine stalling problem> Some of you guys arleady know what I'm talking about. Well I took it thinking it would either be the crank position sensor or the fuel pump. Well turns out the tech guy told me it was the CPS. And hes charging me about 300 to replace it. :hmmmm2: Is it just me or does that seem a little crazy? I swear i remember seeing some posts on here discussing how cheap and easy they are to replace. I cant remember where. i could really use some help. If i can fix the problem with half the cost i definitly dont want to pay 300 for it. Any insight? Thanks guys!

Well lets assume that all he is planning to do is replace the CPS, and not perform any testing etc... Replacing the CPS will take about 1 hour of your time, at least that was the case for me. I have a 4.5" lift and 32" tires, so all I had to do was disconnect it from the harness and then us a long socket extension.

The part is about $100 to $150, and after I had a 3rd party one go bad on me I'm going to the Jeep dealership for my next one. So call up the Jeep/Chrysler parts department and ask them if they have a CPS, and how much.

Right off the top of my head I'd say you're getting soaked on the labor.

96xj
08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
at most the labor should be $85 , now lets just say they got the part form the dealer and the cost is about $125 plus the mark up up of 30% witch should come out to about $165 just for the part then and hour labor @ $85 total of $250 plus what ever tax you got where you are ... so i say it's close

xj4life2
08-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Book time is .5 thats via all data and the CPS should be less than $100.00so even at my rates of $96.00 per hour , yes your getting soaked. Price the CPS at a local parts store then confront the shop owner . Tell him AllData shows labor at .5 (1/2 Hour) and you can buy the part for X amount, so why $300.00 ??? Mabey he'll change his tune

pingpong
08-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Sounds a bit high. But if that is also counting the trouble shooting of it.. it isnt too bad

Kimber6331
08-10-2010, 03:00 PM
yea i guess you guys are right. part cost 131. testin cost 78 and labor cost 97. I kow i could have atleast gotten the part for cheaper. I really didnt need it tested I didnt have any engine light or anything on. I guess its mandatory. I told him it was probably cps. and before i could say dont start yet he already started working on it. But hey atleast its running straight now. Havent stalled since. Then again its only been two days. we'll see...

Mudderoy
08-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I just called the local Chrysler/Jeep dealership. CPS is $110. I need to get one.

Kimber6331
08-11-2010, 01:16 PM
ok so not as bad as i thought. and yea i suppose it wouldnt hurt.

lowrider
08-18-2010, 02:59 PM
did he go ahead and replace it with out telling him to? if he did then its kinda hard for him to charge you with out giving you a quote and you saying ok fix it. i kn ow at my shop we have to get diag time first then call with a quote to get the ok to fix it