PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Problems

jeepxj06
08-08-2010, 09:48 PM
I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0L that just keeps giving me problems with over heating. Every time i check my coolant it turns this rust color. Ive flushed the radiator three times. Installed a 160 degree thermostat and it still seems to run hot. I just put a new head gasket and head bolts in it. There are no visible leaks anywhere. If anyone has any input let me know.

cantab27
08-08-2010, 09:58 PM
have a read through here
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=544&highlight=heating

Mudderoy
08-08-2010, 09:58 PM
I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0L that just keeps giving me problems with over heating. Every time i check my coolant it turns this rust color. Ive flushed the radiator three times. Installed a 160 degree thermostat and it still seems to run hot. I just put a new head gasket and head bolts in it. There are no visible leaks anywhere. If anyone has any input let me know.

You need to keep flushing it until you don't have the rust color. Then put a 50/50 mix of antifreeze. Depending on your tap water you may need to use distilled water.

Put the 195 degree thermostat back in there since the computer wants to see that temp.

You need to check for leaks, etc...

pingpong
08-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Install one of them prestone flush and fill kits. and open the drain on radiato and run it for at least 30 minutes

jdougn
08-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Any water in the oil, 'fish eyes' or little white globs on the dipstick, or brown & white gooey residue on the bottom of the oil filler cap?

4.3LXJ
08-13-2010, 02:02 AM
You will always get rusty water if you use tap water. Use distilled water with the antifreeze and some conditioner/water pump lubricant and you shouldn't get that problem.

default83
08-13-2010, 08:56 AM
my tj had the rusty water, i replaced the pump/tstat/hoses/radiator all at one time, still rusty, i ended up flushing out the heater core seperatly and it helped ALOt, might want to give that a try, if the heater core is clogged up it will cause issues.

plus its really easy to do like 5-10 minutes at the most.