PDA

View Full Version : Best Jack to use?

Kimber6331
08-05-2010, 09:26 AM
I have a stock setup for my 01 xj right now, and im looking to invest in a jack that i can use that will get good clearance to let me work under xj. The stock jack i was given to with the xj works, but it never lifts it up as high as i want it to and i honestly dont trust it. What do you all prefer?

96xj
08-05-2010, 09:55 AM
get a hi-lift

Kimber6331
08-05-2010, 11:19 AM
i was actually looking at one the other day but i did not purchase because the way it looks i would have to use it right under the doors or bumpers, and since most everything is still stock on my xj, i figured it would bend or break. Someone said i would need rail guards to use it. or steel bumpers. is that true? would i end up just damaging my xj?

96xj
08-05-2010, 11:55 AM
yes that is true , its been a while since i last used a hi-lift , i guess that's a good thing :rolleyes:

Mudderoy
08-05-2010, 12:04 PM
i was actually looking at one the other day but i did not purchase because the way it looks i would have to use it right under the doors or bumpers, and since most everything is still stock on my xj, i figured it would bend or break. Someone said i would need rail guards to use it. or steel bumpers. is that true? would i end up just damaging my xj?

I'd be in trouble if I had a flat. I wouldn't be able to jack it up high enough to get the other tire on. I need a jack. I want a highlift, but I really just need a bottle nose jack that will lift the jeep high enough to get the tire off.

A couple of 2x6 pieces of wood bolted together would make a good platform and give the jack some additional height.

xj4life2
08-05-2010, 12:28 PM
A high lift will only do you well if your lifted and have jacking points on the jeep. If not you will distroy the body or bumpers as they are not designed for this type of jack. Also High lifts are very wobbly and I would never recomend climming under the jeep while its supporting it (without jackstands, blocks, something). I recomend and carry a aluminum floor jack that has a lifting height of about 28"s. In the garage at home I use the same jack , I have jackstands that I have welded to steel rims for extra height. I do carry a high lift for those times that a floor jack wont do , but I also have the floor jack with me . Hope this helps
Mark

Kimber6331
08-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Yea thats true. I just want to be able to lift it a little higher than just to clear the tire. If i were to try and say drop the fuel tank or replace exhaust i would need something higher than tire clearance right? The one i have could work but i was hoping there was something stronger/ more reliable

GGXJ
08-05-2010, 03:33 PM
I carry a hydraulic floor jack with me, too. I'm not really fond of hi-lifts and don't really see a need for them in my near future. I pretty much use a jack for rotating or changing tires. I think it's a lot safer to change tires with a floor jack than a high lift. Just my two cents. I'm sure there's arguments to be made for both, but my preference is on a floor jack. They're cheap and fit in the cargo area without taking up too much room. :thumbsup:

Kimber6331
08-06-2010, 01:38 PM
how high can you get with a floor jack? enough to work under?

cantab27
08-06-2010, 02:55 PM
what are you working on , how high ...trolley jack and axle stands are your friend..just make sure its nice and safe before ya get under it ...

pingpong
08-09-2010, 06:48 AM
NEVER WORK UNDER ANY KIND OF JACK. ALWAYS USE A JACK AND JACK STANDS.

Now that I have said that. Yrs ago I bought a Big Red floor jack from Northern tool. It has served me well. I also recommend you skip the ying yang and invest in a pair or two of 12 ton jack stands. They are the tallest ones available, and are very stable.

As for a hi lift being unstable... 100% correct.But they do have there place in a 4x4 persons life. Can you use on on a stock bumper.. 100% you can. Just make sure it is in good shape before jacking on said bumper. Also jack where the bumper mounts to the vehicle.