PDA

View Full Version : welding lsd rear end???

nismo5
08-05-2010, 05:13 AM
is it ok to weld the spiders on a lsd rear end ??? i have my lsd d44 welded but havent run it yet the other day i was told it doesnt work ?? if not why not the axles still slide into the side spider gears right :smiley-scared002:

atleast if it was stupid i cant fix it before i run it :D

thanks

4.3LXJ
08-05-2010, 09:56 AM
You can weld the spiders. The problem usually is that people use mild steel rod or wire to weld high carbon steel and the welds pull loose. If that happens and there is no damage I can show you the right rod to use for the purpose.

nismo5
08-05-2010, 02:37 PM
i heard it only works with a open carier but i dont see how maybe people get confused with lunchbox lockers?? and i had my buddy do it at his muffler shop and hes a professional welder we welded the corners then cut two squares of 1/4" steel plate that fit about half way down in the middle of all four spiders and welded completely around it so both sides are solid like my avatar but that was d35 in the red xj i used to have thats where i got the idea so im sure its strong enough ill be loosing shafts first just though it was wierd ive heard people say it wont work:headshake:

when i was at payless earlier i asked mark too he said its fine no reason why it wouldnt work :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
08-05-2010, 02:41 PM
To be 1000% sure I would have to see it, but it sounds like you got the bases covered.

muffinman
08-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Hey 4.3LXJ, we have both a 220 mig and a stick welder at work. Which would be better for this and what wire or rod should we use?

4.3LXJ
08-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Use the stick. 1/8" Alstate Super 275 or equivalent rod. It ain't cheap, but it is made for the purpose and will never let go.

pingpong
08-06-2010, 04:10 AM
I have locked up a couple of axles using my Lincoln. I always clean the hell out of it, then burn it pretty hot with 6010. After I get a decent bead where I want it.. I turn the heat up some more and break out the 7010. ONly issue I have with welding up a c clip axle is that if you use plates to help strengthen it, you block accesss to installing them.

nismo5
08-06-2010, 06:26 AM
I have locked up a couple of axles using my Lincoln. I always clean the hell out of it, then burn it pretty hot with 6010. After I get a decent bead where I want it.. I turn the heat up some more and break out the 7010. ONly issue I have with welding up a c clip axle is that if you use plates to help strengthen it, you block accesss to installing them.

hahaha yeah the d35 was welded when i got the xj but thats a great point i dont think the people that did it were very smart but atleast the one i had welded was a d44 so i should be all good

muffinman
08-06-2010, 02:26 PM
So the slag isn't a problem? Thought it would be cleaner with wire but I have never done it nor am I a welder. Sorry for the thread jacking.

4.3LXJ
08-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Yes you have to take care of the slag, which means you need to have the carrier out. However, the rod makes up for it. It is designed to weld all types of steel except those with copper in them. You can weld spring steel and axles and tool steel and so forth and it will not break. Cool stuff. Looks like a chrome plated weld when finished. It won't ever rust either.

pingpong
08-06-2010, 07:23 PM
I cant speak for other ppl, but normally if I lincoln lock the axle I dont expect it to last... or care if it does:driving::smiley-gen165: ONly exception might be is my 14 bolt in my truggy.. but I took the time and actually preheated and slow cooled that carrier

nismo5
08-07-2010, 12:01 AM
yeah the only reason i did it is cause i cant afford a detroit and gears yet :)

pingpong
08-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Personally I wouldnt weld up a LSD carrier.. I would sell it, and use one of my spare parts for the lincoln locker carrier. Or you can add more discs to it and increase the traction ability of it:D