PDA

View Full Version : How often does this happen???

XJ4IV
08-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Last night I walked out to the jeep to load up some goodies for Matt so I can buy my longarms from Andy... I go out and hit unlock on the new alarm I installed and nothing... so I opened the door waiting for the siren and NOTHING...
put the key in and once again NOTHING
so obviously I had to jump start it... so I let her run for about 25 minutes while still hooked to the jump car ... I come out to check on it and start it up again and NOTHING again , so I gave up and figured id just jump it until I can afford the alternator So I come out this morning and jump start it and drive it to work When I come out from work I crossed my fingers and she started RIGHT up and havent had an issue since.

Last week I was having cooling issues and the weep hole leaking as stated in another thread I havent had an issue since two weeks ago... Whats the deal and does anybody else have issues that literally go away on their own?

4.3LXJ
08-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Yes, but they always come back

Mudderoy
08-02-2010, 08:48 PM
When the temps get really hot, or really cold marginal batteries go bye bye.

XJ4IV
08-02-2010, 10:00 PM
this battery is new as of a week prior to the alarm install... I do think its my alternator cause its barely reading over the read on the low side.

default83
08-03-2010, 07:42 AM
when it fixes itself thats the best fix.:D

could just have a short somewhere draining the battery. or the alarm is sucking juice.

TeXJ
08-08-2010, 09:28 PM
start your jeep, disconnect battery while jeep is running, if the motor dies, you have a bad alternator, Or have autozone/oreily's check it for you.

Mudderoy
08-08-2010, 10:36 PM
start your jeep, disconnect battery while jeep is running, if the motor dies, you have a bad alternator, Or have autozone/oreily's check it for you.

This an old trick prior to computer controlled engines. I've heard that doing this can fry your computer.

OrangeXJ
08-09-2010, 04:00 AM
this battery is new as of a week prior to the alarm install... I do think its my alternator cause its barely reading over the read on the low side.

Put a volt meter on it while it's running should be 13-13.5 volts.

msmoorenburg
08-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Use the battery/alt tester thats at the shop next time your out :thumbsup:

TeXJ
08-09-2010, 02:54 PM
This an old trick prior to computer controlled engines. I've heard that doing this can fry your computer.

how would this fry the computer? you are just disconnecting your battery. If your alternator is gone, the system will pull from the battery instead of your alternator giving it the juice it needs.

I did it to my jeep and nothing was hurt.

Mudderoy
08-09-2010, 04:27 PM
how would this fry the computer? you are just disconnecting your battery. If your alternator is gone, the system will pull from the battery instead of your alternator giving it the juice it needs.

I did it to my jeep and nothing was hurt.

The alternator and regulator provide a DC-ish 12 to 14 volts. That means it may have ripple since it is really generating AC to begin with. One of the BIG things the battery does is filter out that ripple. The computer is desiged to work on DC and not AC. If you give it dirty DC "ripple" you could damage it. Also the battery acts as a load so it can stabalize the DC voltage.

Please someone jump in here and tell me I'm way off base, because I like testing my alternator using this method but no longer do.

TeXJ
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
not saying your full of crap, but... :D

j/k lol

rguignard
08-10-2010, 10:16 AM
The alternator and regulator provide a DC-ish 12 to 14 volts. That means it may have ripple since it is really generating AC to begin with. One of the BIG things the battery does is filter out that ripple. The computer is desiged to work on DC and not AC. If you give it dirty DC "ripple" you could damage it. Also the battery acts as a load so it can stabalize the DC voltage.

Please someone jump in here and tell me I'm way off base, because I like testing my alternator using this method but no longer do.

well what you said is true but you dont want to test you alt that way becouse if you alt is over charging it can put out 18 volts or more and that can blow the comp :thumbdown: and you will still end up with a dead battery so a alt can fail by no charge or under charge and over charge. you see i said CAN not will blow the comp. the AC voltage is converted to DC voltage by the diodes Diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. its a lot safer and cheaper to have it tested than to risk buying a comp :thumbsup:

W.O.R.P.Offroad
08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
could be the alarm or a pos or neg cable to the alt, vehc, or battery. could also be bad ends on the cables. my wifes does it from time to time go out clean up the ends re tighten everything and it works good for a while. especially with you sayin you put a new batt in it makes me think cables or ends.

TeXJ
08-10-2010, 06:09 PM
well what you said is true but you dont want to test you alt that way becouse if you alt is over charging it can put out 18 volts or more and that can blow the comp :thumbdown: and you will still end up with a dead battery so a alt can fail by no charge or under charge and over charge. you see i said CAN not will blow the comp. the AC voltage is converted to DC voltage by the diodes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode. its a lot safer and cheaper to have it tested than to risk buying a comp :thumbsup:

thats good know, thanks for the incite <---spelled right? :rotfl2: