PDA

View Full Version : no a/c

ralphy
08-01-2010, 08:38 PM
My '99 xj's a/c does not work and the aux. cooling fan also doesn't work.
I've tried swapping the relays, checking fuses,and pulling and cleaning control
switch, with no success. Do I take it to a shop or has anyone had this type of problem? :confused:

4.3LXJ
08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Are you getting power to the relays?

Mudderoy
08-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Have you checked to see if the fan runs when the coolant temp gets up above 210?

brianwy77
08-02-2010, 07:12 PM
I also have A/C problems but mine will not blow out of the vents on the face of the dash just the vents that the defrost uses. I aslo can't get it very cold no matter how well it's charged. Any one ever had this problem.

On yours you might check the low level switch, it won't let the A/C work if it's low on oil and coolant.

xj4life2
08-02-2010, 07:50 PM
I also have A/C problems but mine will not blow out of the vents on the face of the dash just the vents that the defrost uses. I aslo can't get it very cold no matter how well it's charged. Any one ever had this problem.

Yours my friend is a vacume dash pot inside the heater box that controls the blower doors either the vacume line that runs to it is broke or the dash pot itself is toast. Its about an 8 hour job to get in there as the whole dash must come out. As for the temp its pushing warm and cold air together soit wont be real cold. You can alsocheck the switch below the radio to see if it has any loose or broken vac lines be careful they are old and brittle !!!

[QUOTE=ralphy;47086]My '99 xj's a/c does not work and the aux. cooling fan also doesn't work.
I've tried swapping the relays, checking fuses,and pulling and cleaning control
switch, with no success. Do I take it to a shop or has anyone had this type of problem? :confused:

Try running a jumper from the pos side of the battery to the fan itself and of course one for a neg also, if it works then the issue could be in the sensor.If it does not spin the fan motor is burned out . As for the AC is it charged ? does the clutch cycle ?

ralphy
08-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Guy's, thanks for the input. I have power to one side of the relays, however the the other side of the relays that makes them complete the circut I don't have power, and once again I have checked the fuses, and no the cooling fan does not come on at 210,
once again no power to the relays :( . Brian, I think the vents are vacume controlled you may want to check for a leak or and actuator sticking. if the a/c is charged and it
is still not cool it may need the dryer and the orfice tube/screen changed they will have an affect like what you decribe.:)

4.3LXJ
08-02-2010, 08:33 PM

On yours you might check the low level switch, it won't let the A/C work if it's low on oil and coolant.

The HVAC defaults to defrost if there is no vacuum to the controls. There is a reservoir behind the front bumper. Check to make sure it is not cracked or bad connection with the rest of the system.

What refrigerant R12 or 134A?

ralphy
08-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I have gotten power to the fan and a/c with jumper wires but no power any other way.
Again, I've checked the fuses & relays I hope i don't have a broken wire other wise i'll do with out a/c :)

4.3LXJ
08-04-2010, 10:06 PM
The thing to check then is the low pressure switch, which will probably be the culprit. This would indicate a low charge.

finneys98xj
08-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Where and how ddo you check that 4.3?

4.3LXJ
08-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure where it is on the late XJs, but I know it is not where it is on the earlier ones. Anyway, there is a two pronged switch on the high pressure (small) line. It is the last thing in line before the electricity gets to the compressor clutch. Just pull the wires off and put a u shaped paper clip in where the prongs go. If it starts right up then you have two options. The system needs charging, or the switch is bad. The first option is almost always the one.