PDA

View Full Version : fab thought need help

jeepmedic
08-01-2010, 03:00 AM
here my deal i had a really cool idea that came to me a few month ago, i think i have all the kinks worked out on the unitbody but how can i move the axle back about 2-3 inchs? do i have to go to coils/coilover or is that a bastard pack that i can flip or something i plan on putting 1/4 in plates on the subframe so i can weld on it so any ideas would be useful!

pingpong
08-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Use Mj leaf pack, and then use a shackle relocation box. Get a piece of 1.75 DOM for the upper leaf spring mount using busings.. then you can use a cj style shackle.

Or You can do like I plan on doing.. and weld a flex joint to the shackle relocation box and use a cj style shackle and have a stupid flexy leaf spring that will require the use of an anti wrap bar:D

jdougn
08-02-2010, 09:41 AM
and the next question is why do you want to move the axle? What's the goal?

jeepmedic
08-03-2010, 12:45 AM
to clear 37-40 with out having to jack it to the sky (7-8 inches), that just seems like it would be too wobbly. so looking for the bigger tires w the lower stance. so if i cut the rear fenders like the wrangler comp cuts i can move the axle back and not have to cut forward which is into the door. the front will be a little easier cause i can cut enough of the fender off. and some may ask here why am i doing this to a cherokee cause of the unit body? and y not buy a wrangler which is easier! my thoughts r no one else has done it and i like the 4 door and 4 ppl, and i am not rich enough to just go buy a $25,000 4 dr wrangler and build it for the rocks and to tear the crap out of!!!

4.3LXJ
08-03-2010, 02:10 AM
There are two things you need to consider before you do this. Any longer leaf spring will do this for you. However you will end up with a spring and shackle sticking out past the rear bumper. You might do better with just reversing the stock spring or making a bastard pack with the stock main leaf. The second is that you will have to brace the body up because you will be weakening it by removing material.

pingpong
08-03-2010, 04:20 AM
As for plating the frame use 3/16 it is cheaper, and easier to work with.. let alone save you some weight. If you stretch your Wheelbase, you might have to move your gas tank. This is one reason whY I have not done it yet. I plan on using a fuel cell if I do do it, just cause I dont like the look of recessed gas tanks.

If you look over on Pirate you will see a bunch of comp cut Xj's. A lot of useful info over there. just watch whayt you post up.

jdougn
08-03-2010, 09:34 AM
... If you look over on Pirate you will see a bunch of comp cut Xj's. A lot of useful info over there. just watch whayt you post up.
Ping, are you saying that Pirate is the kind of site where a newb will get flamed, verbally abused, and assaulted over any post they make? What! I cannot believe it! lol :eek:

jeepmedic
08-04-2010, 02:30 AM
well i have already fixed the tank problem i have had to cut out my whole floor board (rust) my plan is to make an internal cage (bottem will hold a new floor) but that will help to strenghten the body, but my gas tank sit on a piece of metal that will be welded to the bottom of the subframe thus lifting the gas tank and making a skid plate as you will!

pingpong
08-04-2010, 04:21 AM
Ping, are you saying that Pirate is the kind of site where a newb will get flamed, verbally abused, and assaulted over any post they make? What! I cannot believe it! lol :eek:

I am just saying that they are a bunch of perfectionists that if you are not putting tons, and coilovers, they dont think what you have to offer is worth your time. Also if you think outside the box and do soemthing different.. they wil call you dumb

well i have already fixed the tank problem i have had to cut out my whole floor board (rust) my plan is to make an internal cage (bottem will hold a new floor) but that will help to strenghten the body, but my gas tank sit on a piece of metal that will be welded to the bottom of the subframe thus lifting the gas tank and making a skid plate as you will!

I suggest you use a strap style system like the factory.. just cause of the rubbing and weight involved with the tank supporting itself

4.3LXJ
08-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I suggest you use a strap style system like the factory.. just cause of the rubbing and weight involved with the tank supporting itself

You also could support the tank by the side flanges. You would need to support it all the way around and use a rigid top piece to clamp down on it to give it even support and tie down without piercing anything.

drew91xj
08-22-2010, 04:57 PM
serach pirate in the cherokee forum, search screen name jenssen. look for the thread looking for rear leaf spring info, in that thread there is a chart that list all comon leaf spring packs to use for stretching the rear im doing the same thing. hope it helps.