PDA

View Full Version : Bigger

buckeyecam1
07-29-2010, 03:27 PM
I have a 4.5 lift now, but it's not big enough. I want to go 2 more any ideas on how to do that without buying another lift? Thanks

4.3LXJ
07-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Going from 4.5 to 6.5" is a big jump. I am assuming you have a short arm (front links) suspension. When you go that much more the angles change a lot and two things happen. Ride quality is substantially reduced, you will feel the bumps much more and the castor angle changes a lot, enough you might get death wobble. Other than that, some two inch front coil spacers and some 2' shackles will do it with some shock extensions if your brake lines are long enough.

pingpong
07-29-2010, 10:37 PM
What he said. That much lift requires a lot of steering mods, as well as SYE.

bigjim350
07-30-2010, 10:44 PM
The back should be easy. The front you should need adjustable upper and lowere control arms, adj trackbar, and drop pitman arm.

jdougn
07-31-2010, 09:02 AM
I have a 4.5 lift now, but it's not big enough. I want to go 2 more any ideas on how to do that without buying another lift? Thanks

Your profile says you have a Rusty's 4.5" lift? What did it include? What mods have been done to the drive train? That will make a big difference in what can easily happen next.

The other guys have already got started on major issues. One other issue is that the drive shafts may also be affected. When my 98 XJ went to 5.5" the front drive shaft began to bottom out jamming into the t-case at full drop. The rear drive shaft was too short and wanted to almost fall out at droop. At highway speeds there was way too much vibration from the drive shafts.

My '98XJ was fine with a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift & 1" t-case drop. RE does a good job with their lift kits and it included extended brake lines & longer shocks. When we took it to 5.5" using front hockey pucks and rear extended shackles we also had to add a slip-yoke eliminator, new front drive shaft, and a new rear drive shaft with cardan joints to accommodate the steeper drive shaft angle. The XJ already had aftermarket upper and lower control arms up front or those would've had to change too. An adjustable RE track-bar with drop bracket was installed to adjust the front axle for the added lift. We also used RE drop brackets for the front sway bar. I still need to add an RE steering brace.

hth, Doug