PDA

View Full Version : xjTalk has a new member - beberan!

rguignard
07-28-2010, 05:46 AM
Hi beberan, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We\'d love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

beberan
07-28-2010, 06:00 AM
hi guys. I'm a new XJer from Italy. I got my xj '98 two weeks ago and i'm so stoked! but i'd love to lift it up. I was thinkin' on 4.5" or even 6.5". Can U advice me on how does it work? I mean...wheels, arms and so on.....thanks a lot for your help!

Mudderoy
07-28-2010, 09:12 AM
hi guys. I'm a new XJer from Italy. I got my xj '98 two weeks ago and i'm so stoked! but i'd love to lift it up. I was thinkin' on 4.5" or even 6.5". Can U advice me on how does it work? I mean...wheels, arms and so on.....thanks a lot for your help!

Welcome! I believe you are our first member from Italy!

I have a 1998. When I decided to lift the XJ I dug around on the sites at the time. http://www.naxja.org was a very helpful site for me. Anyway I found that due to the design of the transfer case (NP231, or NP242) to lift a XJ higher than 4.5" would require a multi-hundred dollar investment, namely a Slip Yoke Elminiator kit, or SYE.

Since I was more concerned with getting larger tires on her I went with the highest lift that I could and not have to install a SYE. I purchased a Rough Country 4.5" lift kit. I was able to put 10x15 wheels, and 32x11.5x15 BFG Mud Terrain Tires.

Later I installed Bushwacker flares, so now I should be able to accommodate 33x12.5x15 tires. These 32's are just about done, so I'll be getting the 33's fairly soon.

I also changed the axle gear from the stock 3.55 to 4.56. This really made the XJ respond more like it did when it was stock. Much more fun to drive.

beberan
07-28-2010, 10:40 AM
thanks Mudderoy, the point is: how do I manage bigger tires than the official approval? my car's paper says that I can't use bigger tires than 235 (that are little less than 30")
...plus: are the lift kit ok (ex. rough country), or do I need more pieces sold apart?
...plus: whic is the difference between long arms and short arms? How do I know which are mine?
Thanks a lot for your help (if you want to keep on help me off course...) and sorry for my english.....

4.3LXJ
07-28-2010, 12:01 PM
You have short arms. You can go up to 4.5" of lift with short arms. Over that, you will want the long arm suspensions to maintain ride quality. Also, even at 4.5" there will be a better ride quality, but I don't consider it a necessity at that height. A complete kit will have the springs, shocks, brake lines and new front suspension arms and track bar. Bonuses will include new u bolts for the rear axle and new bump stops. You will run into camber problems if you start mixing say a 4.5' kit with a budget boost. Just get the whole thing so it is done right.

Mudderoy
07-28-2010, 02:35 PM
thanks Mudderoy, the point is: how do I manage bigger tires than the official approval? my car's paper says that I can't use bigger tires than 235 (that are little less than 30")
...plus: are the lift kit ok (ex. rough country), or do I need more pieces sold apart?
...plus: whic is the difference between long arms and short arms? How do I know which are mine?
Thanks a lot for your help (if you want to keep on help me off course...) and sorry for my english.....

My Rough Country 4.5" lift was complete. Nothing additional had to be purchased. Once it was installed, I added wheels and tires. I did mild trimming of the plastic molding around the wheel wells, front and back, because the lugs of the MT would pop the plastic on hard turns.

You have short arms. Long arms allow the front suspension to drop down further, so it allows your XJ to have traction in more extreme off road environments. Also it makes your on road ride smoother because the arms move less with dips and bumps in the road than a short arm will. This movement is translated through the uni-body to your butt.

4.3LXJ
07-28-2010, 03:46 PM
I would add one thing. Once you get to 4.5" of lift, it is advisable to modify the rear housing of the transfer case and rear drive shaft due to the increased angle of the shaft. This is done with a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) and constant velocity (CV) drive shaft. Once you get to this point, we can give you more specific help with it.

beberan
07-29-2010, 03:22 AM
thanks a lot guys, you've been so usefull to me, so you suggest me to install long arms to have more comfort in the road...?

Mudderoy
07-29-2010, 08:50 AM
thanks a lot guys, you've been so usefull to me, so you suggest me to install long arms to have more comfort in the road...?

I don't think it's worth the price of long arms for comfort on the road. I believe that could be considered a side benefit. Long arms are for more articulation off road, and above a certain lift it is argued they become necessary. 4.5" of lift and short arms are fine. People run short arms at 6.5 and even 8.5" of lift.

1ATony
07-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Welcome to the site.

4.3LXJ
07-29-2010, 09:42 AM
To each his own, but I would run long arms above 4.5" of lift. It will transmit less vibration to the vehicle which is unibody so you will notice them more than the same vehicle if it had a frame.

drakan1908
07-30-2010, 09:12 AM
Welcome to XJ Talk!

beberan
08-02-2010, 03:15 AM
ok. thanks a lot.
we'll see wht's going to happen. i'll let you know.