PDA

View Full Version : O2 sensor

buckeyecam1
07-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Just as I was thinking of getting a new exhaust my o2 sensor rusted out of my cat. Can I run without a cat or will that mess up my fuel injection?

msmoorenburg
07-26-2010, 08:56 AM
it will just fine without a cat but you will have a check engine light on, also depending on where you live it may fail inspection. Also a side note muffler shops (in texas) will not remove a cat and put a test pipe in.:sad0147:

Mudderoy
07-26-2010, 08:59 AM
You can get a catalytic converter for about $100. Check with some of the xjtalk vendors and see what kind of a deal they can make you.

4.3LXJ
07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
It will also run very rich.

msmoorenburg
07-26-2010, 10:54 AM
It will also run very rich.

it depends on your tune ,map sensor ,o2's ,and exaust leaks. I've run a no cat setup and a catted exaust on the turbo neon ,and I still have the same a/f readings wot/idle with both exausts (one exaust is full exaust with cat the other is a 3in dump and super loud)

4.3LXJ
07-26-2010, 10:58 AM
That can happen, but without an O2 sensor, it will go into fail safe mode and will pick a mixture. I have heard of some with very rich mixture and some not. But there are more rich ones than not.

msmoorenburg
07-26-2010, 11:06 AM
That can happen, but without an O2 sensor, it will go into fail safe mode and will pick a mixture. I have heard of some with very rich mixture and some not. But there are more rich ones than not.

True you will always have to run a o2 but if you want to keep the light off (after the cat only O2) you can use a spark plug anti fouler in between the O2 and the exaust :eek:

buckeyecam1
07-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Since the sensor rusted out I figured that it would set a code, but I haven't got anything yet, been driving it two days and still no check engine light.

bigjim350
07-30-2010, 10:49 PM
I run mine with out a cat, still seems to run fine. It has no check engine light on. It did lose a little low end torque but not much. And there are places in Texas that will take off a cat, you just gotta know the right people

BlueXJ
07-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Federal law mandates a cat be in place, so beware you are breaking a federal law.

bigjim350
07-31-2010, 04:20 PM
When the Federal Government starts enforcing other federl laws, like illegal immigration, I will worry about my cat. Yes I know its against the law, and hell I might even speed a little when I go out tonight.

Mudderoy
08-02-2010, 04:10 AM
When the Federal Government starts enforcing other federl laws, like illegal immigration, I will worry about my cat. Yes I know its against the law, and hell I might even speed a little when I go out tonight.

We're in the process of discussing how we want to handle discussion about illegal activities. At the very least xjtalk wants to make it clear that we don't support illegal activities so you guys are going to have to put up with a disclaimer at the very least from myself or a moderator.

I think many of us would be surprised at what people don't know. Probably less so the people that work with the public. :D

cantab27
08-02-2010, 11:58 AM
no cat in mine but its not against the law down here.......