PDA

View Full Version : Do you SeaFoam?

Mudderoy
07-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Back when I was 16, or so, someone told me about running automatic transmission fluid through the carburetor. It cleaned stuff out, internally, in the engine! I tried it and I was hooked. It made a HUGE white cloud of smoke. I mean I'm talking "Jame's Bond" blind the bad guys heavy thick smoke.

I don't know if it improved anything, but if sure was fun to do.

I think part of me wanted to do this again, so I bought some SeaFoam!

At $10 a container I thought it was a tad pricey. I really didn't have anything that needed to be improved. I mean I recently replaced the injectors, and many of the sensors are new.

I removed the air breathing tube from the throttle body and poured some in! I was very disappointed in the smoke that came out. Not at all like the puffy white Summer time clouds of smoke that came from the automatic transmission fluid of years past. Still I continued to poor.

I turned off the engine, let it sit for a bit, then restarted it.

Several hours later I returned to the Jeep to start it and put it in the garage.

I was surprised that what had been a expected and even ritualistic event, starting the Jeep had changed! Before I would try to start the engine, it wouldn't, I would wait a second and try again and it would start right up! So two tries and you were golden!

This is different from the 10 prior years, first time crank first time start. The surprise was it started the first time! I didn't get too excited until I saw a trend. Well I started it the next morning, 1 start. Then after nine hours at work, started 1st start!

More testing to follow! :popcorn:

4x4Dalton
07-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Gonna have to give it a try.

drakan1908
07-23-2010, 11:59 PM
NO I only put in a vehicle what the factory calls for. I have seen 2 many motors ruint because people have tried stuff like that. JMO

Indiana Jeep
07-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Been using Seafoam for a while, love it, I use it every couple of months pour some in the gas tank and do just like you did. I've never had a problem with it and itdoes get the engine running better.

4.3LXJ
07-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I have used SeaFoam. You don't need to get white smoke. It is fun, but can also take out your O2 sensor. I just pour a bottle into a 1/4 tank of gas and drive. Fifty miles later it is done. Injectors are clean and pistons and combustion chamber clean too. I have verified this with a tear down.

4x4Dalton
07-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Where can you get it at?

Indiana Jeep
07-24-2010, 04:44 PM
O'Reillys, Auto Zone or any auto parts store will carry it. I think I saw some at Manard's but I can't say for sure.

Mudderoy
07-25-2010, 06:04 AM
I'm back to 2 crank starts. :(

wilddutchman
07-25-2010, 06:47 PM
SeaFoam is amazing it cleans ur motor very will put it in the crank case get it up to temp and then change your oil you would not belive the junk and crud that comes out yes it is safe to do its on the can lol i do it every time i change the oil and i put it in the gas every couple of months its great stuff. and i think walmart has it i think

msmoorenburg
07-26-2010, 07:41 AM
I've used seafoam in the past works great :thumbsup: but nothing beats the ole water trick for that pesky carbon nock :confused:

pingpong
07-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Maybe I dont believe in this kinda stuff. I dont think there is anything in a bottle that you can put in your rig and make it run better. I have heard and seen ppl use these can fixes, and screw up more then they fixed.

Ruinator
07-26-2010, 07:43 PM
It works awesome,if it is done correctly and your engine needs it! Take of your throttlebody and look into your intake manifold. If it clean, dont bother. If it is dirty (which it will be) then use it. Let the engine sit for 30 minutes. Greta stuff.

So do I seafoam. Yup every year!

rugidone
07-29-2010, 09:20 AM
At the shop we always have a Can of Seafoam Engine, TransTune and Creep on the shelf and I mean at all times, one of our buddies works at a local ACDelco auto parts store and keeps the shelf stocked :D, their products are like miracles in a can.

jdougn
07-31-2010, 09:14 AM
I was talking to a couple of mechanics at the local CarQuest just yesterday about this stuff. They both use it in their personal vehicles so I might give it a try. Thanks for the post.

ralphy
08-01-2010, 08:27 PM
I've used it many times and have been very pleased with the results, I also like to use Slick 50 oil treatment, i've put many miles on an engine and have enjoyd good service from it! : )

TeXJ
08-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I've always wanted to do seafoam but never knew where to put it into the motor? Besides the gas tank and with the engine oil, I've heard of putting it in a vacuum line but i dont know which vacuum line... Could anybody take a pic of the vacuum line that i need to unplug and which in to connect the can to?

Mudderoy
08-02-2010, 08:51 PM
I've always wanted to do seafoam but never knew where to put it into the motor? Besides the gas tank and with the engine oil, I've heard of putting it in a vacuum line but i dont know which vacuum line... Could anybody take a pic of the vacuum line that i need to unplug and which in to connect the can to?

Throttle body. You have to put it somewhere that will go to all the cylinders.

TeXJ
08-02-2010, 09:12 PM
do you have a pic of the line?

Mudderoy
08-03-2010, 02:36 AM
do you have a pic of the line?

Me? A picture of the throttle body? Remove the breather tube and poor it in while the engine is running, slowly.

4.3LXJ
08-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Maybe I dont believe in this kinda stuff. I dont think there is anything in a bottle that you can put in your rig and make it run better. I have heard and seen ppl use these can fixes, and screw up more then they fixed.

You're somewhat right on this. SeaFoam is a good product and will clean the carbon out. But the mistake many people make is with the white smoke thing. If you get too much white smoke, it will take out the O2 sensor. Then you will have to replace it. It is much better to dump the bottle in a 1/4 tank of gas and just drive. It will take the carbon out and clean the injectors and not harm the O2 sensor. Three people on another forum I am on have had this problem with the O2 sensor.

TeXJ
08-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Me? A picture of the throttle body? Remove the breather tube and poor it in while the engine is running, slowly.

oh ok i was thinking you hooked it to a vacuum line. did you poor it in kind of slow?

CT99XJ
08-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I've used Seafoam on every vehicle I've ever had, same with Marvel and Lucas.