PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case Drop

msmoorenburg
07-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Who has done this? I think Rene and I are gonna use my left over alum bar stock 1x3/4x 36in to make us some. I also have 1/4 plate and 3/8, So my real question is what size would you go with? Our lifts maybe in the 4in range after we deal with the leafs. Would you guys also go with a wedge to kick the axle back up?

rguignard
07-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Who has done this? I think Rene and I are gonna use my left over alum bar stock 1x3/4x 36in to make us some. I also have 1/4 plate and 3/8, So my real question is what size would you go with? Our lifts maybe in the 4in range after we deal with the leafs. Would you guys also go with a wedge to kick the axle back up?

im getting some driveshaft bind in the rear when its on the lift :thumbdown:

OrangeXJ
07-23-2010, 09:53 AM
I've got a 4.5 lift with a TC drop do you want me to measure mine and let you know?

4.3LXJ
07-23-2010, 10:07 AM
If you are going to use a tcase drop, there are some measurements you need to make first, although no one ever does. First, how far is the yoke out of the tcase tail housing. If it is only a little, remember that when it stuffs it will be coming back and you don't want to bottom out. As far as wedges on the axle goes, that again is by measurement. Also factored in is whether or not you use a shackle. For every inch of shackle extension, you change the pinion angle by roughly 1°. Ultimately you need to use and angle finder to check the pinion and tcase angles. Then you need to match those angles like this with wedges if neexed.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/2joint_angle.gif

msmoorenburg
07-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I've got a 4.5 lift with a TC drop do you want me to measure mine and let you know?

Please do :thumbsup:

pingpong
07-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Here is my take on it.. keep in mind I have run t-case drops, but prefer not too cause they are only bandaids. If you have any lift, even with a t-case drop you can run into vibes.. and that goes for sye setups as well. If you use pinion shims do your self a favor and get steel ones. rule of thumb is pinion angle and t-case out put need to be parralel when not running a sye. When running a sye pinion needs to be pointed at the output.

msmoorenburg
07-23-2010, 10:17 AM
If you are going to use a tcase drop, there are some measurements you need to make first, although no one ever does. First, how far is the yoke out of the tcase tail housing. If it is only a little, remember that when it stuffs it will be coming back and you don't want to bottom out. As far as wedges on the axle goes, that again is by measurement. Also factored in is whether or not you use a shackle. For every inch of shackle extension, you change the pinion angle by roughly 1°. Ultimately you need to use and angle finder to check the pinion and tcase angles. Then you need to match those angles like this with wedges if neexed.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/2joint_angle.gif

Great info all I need to do is find the angle finder :headshake:. Just one question I assume the axle needs to be loaded to perform the measurements

4.3LXJ
07-23-2010, 10:20 AM
You can get the angle finder at most tool stores and they have a magnetic strip in the base, just for us no doubt.

Yes, you do this with the weight of the vehicle on the springs. So you will put it together, measure then take it apart and make adjustments and put it back together.

Mudderoy
07-23-2010, 10:25 AM
The RC drop is 1" hard rubber spacers. Simple. Just hard rubber with a hole in the middle. No metal. Oh and longer bolts. They sell the kit for like $34.

You could probably buy bushings at the autoparts store for $20 and do the same thing.

Check your linkage for binding after you put the drop in.

4.3LXJ
07-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Good point, I forgot to mention that. A good tcase drop done right will make sure the linkage is redone on one side so it does not bind also.

msmoorenburg
07-23-2010, 10:35 AM
You can get the angle finder at most tool stores and they have a magnetic strip in the base, just for us no doubt.

Yes, you do this with the weight of the vehicle on the springs. So you will put it together, measure then take it apart and make adjustments and put it back together.

I have a angle finder I just need to locate it in the shop :smiley-gen165:. I guess I better add new u bolts to the list. The self locking will be worn out when finished.

msmoorenburg
07-23-2010, 10:39 AM
The RC drop is 1" hard rubber spacers. Simple. Just hard rubber with a hole in the middle. No metal. Oh and longer bolts. They sell the kit for like $34.

You could probably buy bushings at the autoparts store for $20 and do the same thing.

Hmmmmm i've got some polybushing left over from my neon days, I could machine them down :cheerleader: as far as bolts I have enuf to sink the Titanic again (ask Rene)

4.3LXJ
07-23-2010, 10:42 AM
I have a angle finder I just need to locate it in the shop :smiley-gen165:. I guess I better add new u bolts to the list. The self locking will be worn out when finished.

I have always used a flat washer and high nuts. You can reuse them lots of times.

OrangeXJ
07-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Hmmmmm i've got some polybushing left over from my neon days, I could machine them down :cheerleader: as far as bolts I have enuf to sink the Titanic again (ask Rene)

Mine's a RC drop 1" is right

rguignard
07-23-2010, 12:57 PM
im doing it for driveshaft bind not for vibs :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
07-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Dremel tool or die grinder will fix that. Or you can substitute a YJ slip yoke.

Mudderoy
07-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Here is mine...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TEpmf6s4LcI/AAAAAAAAAV8/zeL0OVjlle4/s800/2010-07-23%2023.04.17.jpg

4x4Dalton
07-23-2010, 11:57 PM
I have always used a flat washer and high nuts. You can reuse them lots of times.

I myself would buy new ones but thats just me.

msmoorenburg
07-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Here is mine...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TEpmf6s4LcI/AAAAAAAAAV8/zeL0OVjlle4/s800/2010-07-23%2023.04.17.jpg

is that 1in drop?

Mudderoy
07-25-2010, 06:10 AM
is that 1in drop?

Supposed to be.

reddragon72
07-25-2010, 11:41 AM
I have a once inch drop on mine, plus a 1/2 inch longer yoke on the axle, but the same length slip yoke. I never checked angles, but there is no bind and there is no vibes.

msmoorenburg
07-25-2010, 03:57 PM
well its still on the to do list this weekend was busy with other too do's

Weldmen
05-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I am curious how this turned out for you. I have a 3 inch lift and have vibs at 20 to 40 mph. My pinion needs to go down, but if I drop the tcase I think it might be good. Let me know how it worked for you please.

msmoorenburg
05-10-2011, 09:08 PM
I am curious how this turned out for you. I have a 3 inch lift and have vibs at 20 to 40 mph. My pinion needs to go down, but if I drop the tcase I think it might be good. Let me know how it worked for you please.

i never did the swap since i have the ironman long arm kit on order with the xmember. On the sweet side i did order a SYE. I have vibes at 55+ and the play is the slip yoke on the 96+ transfer case

Weldmen
05-10-2011, 10:53 PM
i never did the swap since i have the ironman long arm kit on order with the xmember. On the sweet side i did order a SYE. I have vibes at 55+ and the play is the slip yoke on the 96+ transfer case

Do you think if I go with the 1 inch t-case drop and the YJ slip yoke it will eliminate my vibe? Its not terrible but I can feel it between 20 and 40.

hookedonxjs
05-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Do you think if I go with the 1 inch t-case drop and the YJ slip yoke it will eliminate my vibe? Its not terrible but I can feel it between 20 and 40.

Weld I noticed you have a 3" lift and I think just a Tcase drop and shims should be fine, at least my Dad's had a 3" and all we did was that and it never had vibes. I know where your coming from if you read all the posts on all the sites it can confuse the blank out of you, I have heard people with 3" using the yj yoke with some good and bad results but I have heard alot that claim you need a sye and shaft too? Also have you ever changed the ujoints? If it was me I would start with tcase and shims and then go from there. Once you can buy a sye I would evaluate if you were thinking of lifting it any higher so you get the right length drive shaft. The concensus is for sure you will need sye and shaft on 4" plus lifts. I have always gone with the sye and shaft and they works awesome.

bluedragon436
05-11-2011, 02:40 AM
I'm running a TC drop and shims with the stock DS with 6.5" of lift... I have no vibes or any other issues at highway speeds,or while flexing... I am def. going to be looking into picking up an SYE as soon as I can..

msmoorenburg
05-11-2011, 06:46 AM

I've seen a few jeeps around here with 3in of lift and no tc drop and no vibs. So i would do the shake test on the rear shaft to make sure its all solid. All I did was put the ebrake on and the jeep in neutral and started twisting and shaking. Thats how I found out my slip yoke is wore out

Metlic53
05-11-2011, 01:46 PM
i've got a one inch skyjacker t-case drop. i ran with a 3 inch lift for a year and no probs, then i went to 4.5 and kept eating u joints but no vibes.

hookedonxjs
05-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Just a word of caution to those who run a Tcase drop like mudd's and depending on how you four by, that style of drop can cause metal fatiuge, it put's too much stress on four 1 sq." spots on the frame rails. The type that are long which span the entire mounting area spread the stress out over a much larger area. I couldn't find a pic but have seen wasted frame rails because either the guy didn't take the time to round off the edges or from what I mentioned above.

hookedonxjs
05-11-2011, 05:06 PM
I have a new in bag Tcase drop made in the usa by rusty who makes everything in the usa for 10 bones plus shipping!