PDA

View Full Version : Lightning switch

Thomass
07-21-2010, 12:28 AM
while I'm writing this, my car battery is hooked up to the charger, because i forgot to kill the lights.
when i ride my rig, i can switch the main lights on and off when i please.
but when the key is turned to of, i can not switch the lights on or off.

this means that if the lights are on, and the key is in the off position, and if I push the light switch to the off position, the lights just stay on. i have to turn the key first to the on position, kill the lights and than turn the key again to off.
So now and then i forget this, and i and up with an dead battery.:mad0090:

In the XJ of my GF this is different, when the key is turned of, all is off, so also the lights.
they are from the same building year.
So before i start ripping the wires, maby one of you has already an solution.

Melissa
07-22-2010, 11:37 PM
On my 93 when I shut my rig off with the light switch still on and then turn the light switch off, my lights are on a three minute delay before they shut off.

Sounds to me like your light delay switch is bad and not shutting off your lights after the three minute delay.

This could be one of your possible problems

Just a thought

On this link, look at the lower right corner (E,27) of the diagram

http://www.ondemand5.com/mric/common/asp/ImageViewer.aspx?MOD=REPTIFF&MODULE_ID=1&SESSION_ID=%7B647BACC6-9738-4ED0-9B5B-7407767ECFC1%7D&IMAGE_GUID=117183&PRINT_BW=0&ARTICLE_TITLE=WIRING%20DIAGRAMS&YEAR=1989&MAKE=Jeep&MS_MODEL=Cherokee&IMAGE_CAPTION=Fig.%207:%20Cruise%20Control,%20Wipe r/Washer%20System&COURTESYTAG=&

Thomass
07-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Sounds to me like your light delay switch is bad and not shutting off your lights after the three minute delay.

I didn't know there was a delay switch in the system, I even cant find it on the wiring schematics.

(the link did not work)

To day i do not work, and i was planning to go for the weekend to Prague with the rig, so after the weekend i will look for this delay relay.

Thank you..

4.3LXJ
07-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Thomas

I think Melissa was right on. But you can fix this easily by putting a relay in the wires for the head and tail lights. Wire it so the current from the head light goes into #30 and out 87A. 85 is current from any source activated by the ignition switch and 86 to ground. This is something I have thought about doing for myself since I typically leave my lights on in fog or low light situations. Happened to me two days ago

Melissa
07-23-2010, 11:05 AM
I didn't know there was a delay switch in the system, I even cant find it on the wiring schematics.

(the link did not work)

To day i do not work, and i was planning to go for the weekend to Prague with the rig, so after the weekend i will look for this delay relay.

Thank you..

Sorry, the link is still working for me :confused:

It was just a wiring diagram of the headlight delay relay circuit off of a 89 cherokee

Thomass
07-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Thomas

I think Melissa was right on. But you can fix this easily by putting a relay in the wires for the head and tail lights. Wire it so the current from the head light goes into #30 and out 87A. 85 is current from any source activated by the ignition switch and 86 to ground. This is something I have thought about doing for myself since I typically leave my lights on in fog or low light situations. Happened to me two days ago

This is also an good alternative, i surly will consider this when i get back home.
Thank you

Sorry, the link is still working for me :confused:
Probably the provider of my mobile account, it happens often in the past, but only when I'm on the move :thumbdown:

It was just a wiring diagram of the headlight delay relay circuit off of a 89 cherokee

I do have all the manuals including the wiring diagram. i will find it. Thanks again